• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bowtie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    South Bend
    if 200 bucks is your budget i would go for the maverick 88 made by mossberg. there is also a huge aftermarket for it.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Have a small budget for xmas this year, but would love to buy my 13yr old saon a new gun. Seen this cheap 12 guage.

Cabela's: H&R Pardner Tactical Shotgun . I don't know anything about this gun.

So what say you INGO?

Go for it. It is a good shotgun. I would gift one to my son. I am not sure I would gift any shotgun to a 13 y/o son, but that is your decision.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I didn't even know H&R made a pump action. What is he going to use it for? It is a minimum legal length cylinder bore barrel, so it wouldn't be much for hunting. It is pretty much just a home defense gun.

Corbinator

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Mossberg 500® Bantam™ and Super Bantam™ Youth Shotguns

A practical starter shotgun loaded with features
    An affordable way to start young shooters
    Adjustable stock models can grow with young shoots
    Free gun lock and 10-year warranty
    Unequalled in practicality and loaded with features, these pump-action shotguns provide an affordable opportunity for beginning and growing shooters to get started with a safe and reliable shotgun. With the same standards of dependability and safety in mind, Mossberg now offers the 500 Super Bantam 20-gauge pump. Its superior versatility however, is what makes these guns truly "super." Features a standard 12" length of pull (one full inch shorter than the standard Bantam) and an innovative stock spacer and extra rubber recoil pad to bring the synthetic stock to 13" overall. When the shooter is ready for a full-sized length of pull (14"+), just turn in the included certificate for a full 50% off the price of the full-sized stock. Free gun lock and a 10-year limited warranty.
    Available:

500 Bantam – 20-gauge model with its 22" blued barrel and wood stock. Twin-bead sights and rubber recoil pads.

500 Super Bantam – Available with a weatherproof black synthetic stock and 22"blued vent-rib barrel with twin bead front sights. Stock is adjustable for length of pull

This is a great starter. It weighs in at $299 and both of my boys have had one. I would scrape together another $110 bucks from grandma and grandpa and go with this.

Already Gone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    South Bend, In
    if 200 bucks is your budget i would go for the maverick 88 made by mossberg. there is also a huge aftermarket for it.

I second this. Though never shooting the Maverick 88, I am a big fan of the mossberg 500. I have handled the Maverick and it seems like a nice gun for the price.

I think an any safe shotgun would be a good start for a 13 year old.

The original question about the gun from Cabellas. I have never heard of that brand, however, I am sure it will suit him just fine and the price is right!

BoomstickBuff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 31, 2011
    Noblesville

^^^ This. Good gun, nearly all parts are interchangeable with the Mossberg 500, great gun for the money. In fact, I bought one for my 15 yr old son this year and it has been great.

Good luck...sounds like your boy will be having a great Christmas!

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Thanks guys I am gonna take a good look at the Maverick 88

If I remember right the safety on the Maverick is in front of the triger gard. Might be a real pain in the rear if he has small hands to turn it on and off. I was nine when I got my first Mossberg 500 12 GA for Christmas. The safety is on top of the receiver and can be reached easier with your thumb.

The single shot is a great gun as well but might feel like it has more kick since it is alot lighter than a pump.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I just sold a super almost new 870 in .20 for 200 bucks with two barrels. I would go used if that is all the money you have. Even if you have a little father son project fixing it up and getting it ready to shoot.

bowtie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    South Bend
    Thanks guys I am gonna take a good look at the Maverick 88

I was at Blythes a few weeks ago and they had a 5+1 model.

Also you can check out the 12" LOP youth stock from hogue. Im a small short guy and when I installed this stock on my 500 it felt great

buzzined

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Crown Point
    I got my first gun at 7, a .22 rifle and my first shotgun at 12, 20 guage pump

He already has a .22. He shoots my AR and my AK and has shot a 870 and a VEPR already and loves shooting shotguns.

It would just be for target practice. Maybe he will want to do a 3 gun comp someday.

I made an offer on a used 870, keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom