• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    I'm considering kung fu, jiu jitsu, or maybe something else like silat or krav maga. Not TKD and nothing "non-combative." Martial arts are about fighting.

Any suggestions, preferably toward the south side?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Kung fu worked well for me. I'm tall, have a lot of reach, lean and fast. My kids have both done wrestling. Wife needs something to work around her recovering joints. I know Shaolin can work for that, but I'm open to other styles in the area.

I'm interested in strength and self defense, not competition.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I don't know too much about Indy but if it were me, I'd be looking at Gracie schools or 10th Planet.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - Academy
    4913 South Emerson Av.
    Indianapolis, IN 46203
    (317) 538-5593

Indiana Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Academy
    Suite CD, 1140 N. St Rd 135,
    Greenwood, IN‎ - (317) 946-9447‎

10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Indianapolis, Indiana
    Phone: (317) 366-1303
    Elite Martial Arts
    c/o Gary Hoyd
    7143 E 46th St
    Indianapolis, IN 46226

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The focus is traditional four method boxing with weapons later (you won't be full contact sparring a lot at first) so it may not be what you are seeking. However, John is a very dedicated teacher and Henry Chung is brilliant and learned both Praying Mantis and Eagle Claw from the best teacher of all, his father.:)

The club also has a heavy focus on qin na (grappling, joint locks, throws), studying Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming's program in conjunction with the organic qin na of mantis.

Seven Star Praying Mantis of Indianapolis

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Kung fu worked well for me. I'm tall, have a lot of reach, lean and fast. My kids have both done wrestling. Wife needs something to work around her recovering joints. I know Shaolin can work for that, but I'm open to other styles in the area.

I'm interested in strength and self defense, not competition.

i took shaolin kung fu myself for a year or 2 and didn't really care for it. it was great for my flexibility and hand speed with helped me in mma but besides that i did not like it.

krag maga might be right up you alley from what you describle. i was a college wrestler so i could get a takedown fairly easily against most opponents. so i mainly studied bjj so i was more versital when i got it on the ground

L-W-R-C

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Willow Branch
    a place i used to go to is mudokwan, the man there is Korean but raised in Japan. he teaches japanese jujitsu and judo. great teacher and very experienced. its on east Washington street. his website is mudokwan.com

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    as posted earlier..

check out james clingerman at indiana brazilian jiu jitsu academy. he is on 135 in greenwood. top notch training and has even turned out a few pro's.

elite cage fighting/10th planet indy is another top notch school but they are off shadeland on the north side. i spent a lot of time training there with gary hoyd. if you are looking to fight am/pro, this is definitely the place you want to be.

the only local krav maga school i know of is on 96th street right off of i69

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I'm considering kung fu, jiu jitsu, or maybe something else like silat or krav maga. Not TKD and nothing "non-combative." Martial arts are about fighting.

Any suggestions, preferably toward the south side?

Back in the mid 90s, my friend and I decided to take some martial arts. We settled on Kenpo Karate. We found a place that was on the south side which is owned by Jerry Smith. Back then, they offered various classes which mostly centered around Kenpo, but leaned more towards self-defense. I dropped out after a year but my friend went back for a while. He must have been doing something right because he ended up moving to a bigger building behind the original building.

I just checked for you and it seems he is still doing something right. Sounds like he is still in the same location as he was about 16 years ago. He calls the business Self Defense Systems, but it appears he has branched off into other things as well. He has two websites: Indy Boxing South - Home and Learn Self Defense, Martial Arts, Kenpo, MMA, Boxing, Kick-Boxing, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Kali, Silat, Street Combat Fight. We Have Everything You'll Need to Defend Yourself in the SDS Kenpo System! He is still located at 7624 S. Meridian St. next to Pizza Hut. They are in the building behind the small strip mall.

Website says:

Self-Defense Systems is unique reality-based martial arts that deals with real street situations. We combine real Jeet Kune Do, close range combat, boxing, Mui Thai Kick Boxing, knife fighting, and Brazilian Jiujitsu to formulate a system that is highly effective in all five ranges of street combat. We are an adult-oriented, non-traditional school. We do not break boards or cement blocks! We wear ordinary street clothes in classes because that is what you will be wearing when you defend your life. We believe in quality of instruction by applying interactive private lessons and classes. Above all, we believe in common courtesy and mutual respect.

Sounds like he is now offering a lot more than when I was involved back in the day:

Kenpo Street Fighting, Kali / Silat Jeet Kune Do, Brazilian Jiujitsu, Knife and Gun Defense, USA Amatuer Boxing, and MMA Mixed Martial Arts.

If you go to this link, there is a small video where he offers a free week of classes, one being a personal one-on-one.

Indy Boxing South - About Us

All I can say is that he treated me and my friends well. His business expanded while I was involved and he has been around since at least '93/'94. Back then he did contracts and offered choices of either private classes or group classes (groups being cheaper). Back then, if you were involved in any paid instruction, there were a few free classes (stick fighting/defense, knife defense, etc.) that were open to all (usually had a decent showing). He also had a small basic weight room where folks could work out anytime the place was open. I felt like the business was no non-sense. During one class on knife defense, someone asked about the person having a gun. Either Jerry or one of the instructors basically said guns were the worse. With a knife, the person has to get close, not so with a gun. They basically said that if it was a robbery, do whatever you can to get the person to leave. I felt that was a pretty honest answer, that a gun changes everything. I never felt they were anti-gun either, and I know back then he had a few IPD officers taking classes there.

Stubbleducker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Indy
    Got a friend who works out at the Krav Maga place by Sam's club on 96th & 69. It kicks his but every time, but I'm sure he'd kick mine....

Top Bottom