• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Without watching it. I'm assuming that vid isn't pro home defense shotgun? I agree. But some people are atuck on this shotgun hits the bad guy no matter what mentality. So your not gonna change it. Trying to get family to listen to facts can be impossible sometimes. Especially with guy and guns it becomes a matcho issue. Like if they listen to good advice their man card gets pulled or something. Rediculous. Then one day they get robbed or shot an it's like the clouds part and they're open to suggestions.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    If she is stuck on having a shot gun, have her go to a LGS and pick up a few to see what fits and feals comfortable. As a sugestion a youth model might fit if she is a small woman. If you are concerned with recoil get some 5 shot for home defense. In a typical home the range of the shot gun will still be a very tight pattern, it is not a point and shoot. My wife is comfortable with using a snub nose .38. Just make sure that she has trainging with what she decides to get and then get her to practice.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Are some of you trying to say a shotgun isnt good for home defense? I mean, no ONE gun is perfect for every situation, but cmon, a shotgun is never a BAD idea...

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I've handled a couple of these lately and they are very nice shotguns. They are light, smooth action and easy to operate.
    CZ-USA -> 612 Home Defense

Loaded with #4 Low Brass shot shells it's a pretty easy shooting home defense weapon.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Are some of you trying to say a shotgun isnt good for home defense? I mean, no ONE gun is perfect for every situation, but cmon, a shotgun is never a BAD idea...
    I'm not going to say it isn't good for home defense. I'm just going to say I think a pistol is a better option in your own home in general. Situation will dictate if that needs to change to a different weapon. In MY opinion, which won't cost you anything :) I have changed my mind on several things a few times and I'm sure will in the future.
    People should use what they feel is best for them. And have a family wide plan in place. I think that is more important than anyones opinion.
    training is more important than the tool. Know the capabilities of your weapon and its limitations. Just an example: if an armed scum bag is in your home and he just hid behind your bookshelf or your wall, do you have to wait till he pops back out to stop the threat or will your rounds penetrate his cover?
    Think outside the box, because when people are trying to live its not always black and white.

Last edited:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I think what some people forget is Defense versus Offense. There is no law that says you have to go clear your house. There is no Blue Ribbon for breaking your personal best time when doing it. You either win or you lose. A newbie with a shotgun in a home invasion should stay put and wait for that target to fill their vision in a hallway or doorway of death. If they have kids then they go to the kids room and STAY there. Remember the old adage choose the battlefield.

I find it difficult to take a Non-gun owning individual today and turn them into a tactical dark house clearing Momma with a shotgun tomorrow let alone in less than 2 years, with no training, no night training and under 3000 rounds fired. Who really does that? With a flashlight and handgun she can at least beat the crap out of an intruders face with her flashlight while she twists the revolver into his ribs and dumps all 5-6 rounds. Maybe put the last round in his ear.

If you go shotgun with a newbie at least preach defense. Semi auto is nice because that person can lay up anywhere, like on the other side of a bed, chair or couch with shotgun resting on it, pointed at a door, hallway or corner. How many people have operated a pump in the prone or resting position, yeah it ain't easy and under attack is not the time to learn how to do it. The first time you do it, it is like a Chinese finger trap.

Not sure how you do better than a Saiga with a large mag or drum or a Benelli with an extended tube. Then logic says well if that person can run that gun they can also run an AR or AK and a 5.5lb AR is nice for HD for newbies. Then it spirals backwards again with budget and location and person involved, value of a life versus cost of a gun. What long gun does not require practice to win with it? Then people worry more about over penetration versus dying and you end up with a Fork and a Flashlight as your first choice.

And don't forget when it comes to the cost of the shotgun, it needs a light, a good light.

mstlouis1986

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    Greenwood
    i'm a fan of handguns but if her preference is with long guns and she doesn't like the recoil of the 12 gauge, there are 20 and 410 semi-auto shotguns. there's no need to get buck shot or high powered loads, the basic target load will have the same end result without traveling into the next room.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I have never been a big fan of a shotgun for home defense. It seems too unwieldy. It may be ok in a big mansion, but in a normal home with a narrow hallway it seems too cumbersome.

Regardless of what type of weapon you choose, you need to take her out and let her fire several different models before making a decision. Have her shoot a few shotguns. They may not be to her liking. A buddy of mine had a hard time getting a shotgun for his wife for cowboy shooting. The heft and length of pull made most guns hard for her to shoot. She is a small woman, but not as small as your SIL. Take her out and fire several handguns. Find something she likes. Between you and your friends, you should be able to come up with a variety of guns for her to try. Also, it is easier to find a place to hide a handgun than a long gun.

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    This is the OP, and she's on the fence on weather to purchase a gun or not. She has a 14 year old with down syndrome , and is afraid to mix him with a gun. I can preach gun safety to her all day long, but she has zero common sense. She knows herself better than anyone, and realizes if she screwed up once with a gun, things would end badly.

On the good side my wife wants her life time ltch, and I'm taking her to a range to shoot a few different pistols. She came to me asking, made me happy.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I would suggest a nice hi-cap 9mm. Such as the FN FNS. Most home invasions are more than 1 person, plus rounding a corner with a long gun may get it taken away.
    She would be better off with a handgun in my opinion. Something to consider, there are plenty of videos on youtube, that talk about the pros and cons of a shotty for HD.

Allenicomp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Carmel Indiana
    Double T nailed it...Good used Mossberg or Remington 870 short barreled 12 or even 20 gauge. These are both pump-action weapons - ultra dependable. Great choice for someone who does not plan on shooting large volumes of rounds.

Top Bottom