Looking for a definitive answer to reciprocity.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bambek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Henry Co.
    My wife and I may be moving to Texas, we both have a lifetime license to carry issued in Indiana.
    Question is this: (And I can't seem to find any forum or government site with a clear answer) Is our license valid in Texas when we establish residency there?

Any takers?

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    My wife and I may be moving to Texas, we both have a lifetime license to carry issued in Indiana.
    Question is this: (And I can't seem to find any forum or government site with a clear answer) Is our license valid in Texas when we establish residency there?

Any takers?

When you establish residency in another state, your Indiana LTCH becomes null and void, even in Indiana, as it is a Resident License.

My advice would be to contact and/or research TX carry permits/licenses and begin the process for TX. There may be some "wiggle room" while you are in transit, but as soon as you start unpacking, for all intensive purposes, you are no longer a Hoosier.....

Quick google-Fu search came up with this:

Gun Laws in Texas - What are the Gun Laws in Texas?

IANAL and YMMV, and all that good stuff

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    You are asking for details of Texas state law in a primarily Indiana forum. I doubt any state allows residents to use other states licenses on a permanent basis. However, you would be better off asking this in a Texas-based forum.

I recommend you check out: Texas Gun Talk

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    When you establish residency in another state, your Indiana LTCH becomes null and void, even in Indiana, as it is a Resident License.

^ This.

Unless you maintain resident status in Indiana, your lifetime IN LTCH will become inactive and invalid anywhere.

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    I have asked in the Texas forums and keep being referred to this http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/Indianaproclamation.pdf

Anyone have a explanation of this document.

Also, are we sure that my current LTCH is void after moving?

Well I take it like this. It just looks like a formal letter from texas saying they honor Indiana Residents with a LTCH while your visiting and you must follow Texas Conceal Carry laws. Same as most states that honor IN LTCH.... nothing big.

Cliff notes: So as long as your an IN resident with a valid LTCH your free to visit texas while carring concealed.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I have asked in the Texas forums and keep being referred to this http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/Indianaproclamation.pdf

Anyone have a explanation of this document.

Also, are we sure that my current LTCH is void after moving?

What I get is that TX has declared reciprocity with IN, but this does nothing for you if you change residency as discussed above. You may, however, carry (concealed per TX law) while visiting for home shopping, job interviews, etc

The most important thing I get from that letter is that Preiadential hopeful Rick Perry has the official signature of a 6th grader. There is no way Id vote for him any way, but that sig is just juvenile. :laugh:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    According to my friends in TX, the moment you cross the state line with the intent of residing in TX, all other resident permits become void. I find it interesting for them to have a clause pertaining to INTENT. Say goodbye to open carry...

My TX friends have complained to me for many years about Perry being a fair weather only friend and a true career politician as well. I still like him WAY more than Romney though....

Top Bottom