• ...and so much more!
  • mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Just to throw something different out - one of my favorite stock 1911s is a SW 1911 bobtail. Great shooter. Nice weight. Can be found lightly used under $1000.

bf43dd02e7b9e3edd50be1e6ed40c9b5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    Looks like the R1 carry checks all boxes except being a series 80 gun. The Ruger checks all boxes except the front strap checkering. You may have to decide which features are most important to you. I would look at the range officer, or save more and get what you really want.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Looks like the R1 carry checks all boxes except being a series 80 gun. The Ruger checks all boxes except the front strap checkering. You may have to decide which features are most important to you. I would look at the range officer, or save more and get what you really want.

I've narrowed it down to the R1 or a Kimber Pro CDP II. I am not a fan of the aluminum frame or the Swartz Safety but, there's something about the Pro CDP II. I had an Ultra CPD II and I eventually sold it. It was comfortable to carry but, I had some reliability issues with the three inch model and it was really not that pleasant to shoot.... that being said, I still miss it every now and then.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Just to throw something different out - one of my favorite stock 1911s is a SW 1911 bobtail. Great shooter. Nice weight. Can be found lightly used under $1000.

bf43dd02e7b9e3edd50be1e6ed40c9b5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed a used E Series is the way to go in that price range.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I've narrowed it down to the R1 or a Kimber Pro CDP II. I am not a fan of the aluminum frame or the Swartz Safety but, there's something about the Pro CDP II. I had an Ultra CPD II and I eventually sold it. It was comfortable to carry but, I had some reliability issues with the three inch model and it was really not that pleasant to shoot.... that being said, I still miss it every now and then.

Ok, hope you find what you are looking for. Let us know how you make out.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois

So, I found out Kimber makes a Pro CDP. It doesn't have the Series II safety. Found one on Gunbroker for $919. I'll post pics once I get her!

Only thing that did not meet my criteria was the frame. I suppose at the end of the day, it will be lighter and hopefully more comfortable to carry.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Congrats on the inbound Kimber. Mine is a Compact Stainless II, which is Kimber speak is a CCO sized 1911 with an aluminum frame and stainless slide. I replaced the plastic MSH with a stainless one (wish Kimber and Colt would ditch the plastic ones) and put a Wilson flat wire recoil spring in it. It's been a great gun and always goes bang when the trigger is pulled.

Top Bottom