Longtime liberal friend wants to buy a gun now.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I have a super duper uber liberal aunt talking about how she wants to buy a gun. Although had a rather odd contradiction of logic. If someone was breaking into her house she'd say she'd rather just let them "take" what they want rather than start a fire fight. Said it would unnecessarily escalate the situation. Uh, you're assuming people who have no regard for your property will respect your life. I mean, you're in bed, in your house, and a stranger is now in your house with god knows what intentions. How does protecting yourself by all means make the situation worse? Why buy a gun if you think using it will be a bad idea? I didn't argue her, just made suggestions on what to buy for a 1st time gun owner.

That sounds kind of like my Mom. She's pretty anti-gun, but seems to be coming around a little bit on understanding why someone would want to own an AR-15. She still said if looters and rioters came to her neighborhood she would "just leave."

I think a lightbulb went off when I reminded her that there is a single two lane road for entering and exiting her neighborhood. I asked her how she planned to leave if someone parked a couple of semi trucks across the road to block the exit.

sstark39

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2017
    Seymour
    This topic is hard for me. On one hand I really want to be helpful and help guide them into the light.

On the other I REALLY want to say "F*** YOU! You've been against us all these years. You have mocked me and my friends, fought against me, and voted for those who tried to make me lose the ability to own a gun. You dont get to fight against this right all this time and then suddenly change your tune when you think it suits you. NO! NO GUNS FOR YOU!"

I understand the feeling, Ive been fighting against these folks for 50 years. That said, I'll help anyone learn to protect themselves. Do I totally trust them? Nope trust is earned over time! But I will help them get started down that road!

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    My son and daughter-in-law (both mid 30s) who live in Seattle (so you can guess) informed me that they bought a 1911 in 45acp a couple months ago.

I was shocked but told them to keep it loaded and available. And if they need to pull the trigger, keep doing it until it is empty. Shells are cheap.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    An old friend and 2nd amendment adversary contacted me recently. Her husband had passed on, and she said she needed to sell his "shockingly" large collection to pay for home repairs. She'd already had another gun afficianado give her estimates on prices. Wanted me to see if I agreed. For the most part I did. When I informed her that his AR and mags was worth (in my estimation) quite a bit more, she was surprised. When I explained it was because of "riot season", she was downright shocked. We'll see how it turns out. I did suggest she keep a couple of .22s for the boys, and an M&P Shield for herself. As much as I would hate to see anything bad happen to them, she's had the opportunity to see America, and the Soviet Union in real life. In my opinion, she has no excuse for leaning left.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Just read this whole thread. Very interesting. Kind of covers the whole spectrum of responses.

I lean toward helping a potential new gun owner anyway I can - unless he/she is a dickhead.
    People are all different and it must be evaluated on an individual basis. If they are capable of seeing the light and recognizing the importance of individual freedom I will help them. If they are not capable of seeing their own hypocrisy and will continue to vote for the enemy then they are the enemy.
    In the immortal words of Tuan - "What is enemy?" It is those that lead the undermining of American freedom and it is those that vote for them.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    I’m a cold vengeance friend.
    1) I would not be inner circle friends with them

2) I’d only wish them good luck and mention training.

one good discussion does not fix a liberal.

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    If you want to witness a glimmer of hope got to:
    #walkawaymovement
    Its a channel on YouTube featuring video stories of former liberals video taping themselves stating the reasons why they choose to walk away from the demacRATic party and become a conservative.

Some truly enlightening videos from some really good people of all walks of life.

I also will do my diplomatic best to help anyone I feel is capable to become a gun owner regardless of politics. But i also have no friends that are liberals, not because i have chosen not to be their friend but because every last one i have met chose not to be my friend. That my fellow conservatives sums up the difference between a liberal and a conservative.

But I agree it is absolutely impossible to argue with and change the opinion of a liberal. I call it my "gravity does not exist to a liberal" by that I mean I can take a pound of lead and hold it 3' off the ground release it and when it hits the ground say "see that proves gravity exists" and a liberal who doesn't believe in the existence of gravity no matter how many times I drop the lead and present them with absolutely empirical irrefutable true facts that have just proven the existence of gravity a liberal they will still refuse to acknowledge them and stick to their 100% emotional based beliefs. Only they themselves can change themselves and considering how god awful hard it is for us to change ourselves there is no hope of a person changing the mind of a liberal.

Dimik

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2018
    Mishawaka
    If you want to witness a glimmer of hope got to:
    #walkawaymovement
    Its a channel on YouTube featuring video stories of former liberals video taping themselves stating the reasons why they choose to walk away from the demacRATic party and become a conservative.

Some truly enlightening videos from some really good people of all walks of life.

I also will do my diplomatic best to help anyone I feel is capable to become a gun owner regardless of politics. But i also have no friends that are liberals, not because i have chosen not to be their friend but because every last one i have met chose not to be my friend. That my fellow conservatives sums up the difference between a liberal and a conservative.

But I agree it is absolutely impossible to argue with and change the opinion of a liberal. I call it my "gravity does not exist to a liberal" by that I mean I can take a pound of lead and hold it 3' off the ground release it and when it hits the ground say "see that proves gravity exists" and a liberal who doesn't believe in the existence of gravity no matter how many times I drop the lead and present them with absolutely empirical irrefutable true facts that have just proven the existence of gravity a liberal they will still refuse to acknowledge them and stick to their 100% emotional based beliefs. Only they themselves can change themselves and considering how god awful hard it is for us to change ourselves there is no hope of a person changing the mind of a liberal.

Yep. They have to drop the lead themselves and come to the conclusion about gravity. The left/right world view is innate, and you can't change someone by force, it has to come from within.

gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    She came over a few days ago and shocked me with these opening words. "I need to get a gun to protect myself"
    I about fell to the ground. She is a hard core liberal who has hated firearms for as long as I've known her. Going on 24 years now.
    She wanted to see the different types of handguns and she fell in love with my Ruger LCRX 38 Spl.
    I told her she needs to get the new free 5 year permit started. I helped her as she filled the information out online. She requested my help Tomorrow selecting a new revolver and getting her finger printing done and information sent in.

Here is the biggest surprise of all. She said she is starting to see what I've been going on about all these years, and Trump wasn't as bad as she thought he was.
    I was shocked yet again.
    She doesn't like all this lawlessness that the Democrat party is embracing. I really hope she is waking up enough to vote out the Democrats come November.

I thought I would share this with INGO. It kind of uplifted my spirits, and I hope it does yours as well. Maybe a lot more liberals are doing the same around the country. I sure hope so.

I wonder how many more Liberals, specially older ones, who never went full rabid SJW, are now forced to re-think their foundational political beliefs by the insanity of the Progressive SJW Democrats embracing Antifa and BLM violence and cancel culture Fascism.

gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    Tomorrow I'm taking a new shooter out for a second time.
    2 weeks ago, we went over safety. Shot 3 revolvers, and 3 semis. Went over the basics on each.

I stayed away from politics.
    I'd rather they come to their own conclusions, and I'd like to keep firearms separate from politics.
    I know. That's difficult. But I don't want to alienate someone who is already shifting viewpoints. They'll come around.

And :yesway: to you for what you're doing.

Well considered. It's hard enough to realize everything you thought you knew was wrong without someone in your ear reminding you they were right all along. They'll be more likely to figure it out for themselves if you just let them.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I wonder how many more Liberals, specially older ones, who never went full rabid SJW, are now forced to re-think their foundational political beliefs by the insanity of the Progressive SJW Democrats embracing Antifa and BLM violence and cancel culture Fascism.

Yes, this. I think many sane but left leaning people have been abandoned by the party leaving them with nobody lining up well with their views.

I don't know how accurate this is but I imagine the whole population to have a bell curve of political positions with the highest numbers in the middle and lower numbers tailing off both ways toward radical. Makes me wonder why the dumocraps would want to go full rabid and shift away from the fat part of the curve.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yes, this. I think many sane but left leaning people have been abandoned by the party leaving them with nobody lining up well with their views.

I don't know how accurate this is but I imagine the whole population to have a bell curve of political positions with the highest numbers in the middle and lower numbers tailing off both ways toward radical. Makes me wonder why the dumocraps would want to go full rabid and shift away from the fat part of the curve.

I think the curve for the democrats looks different than the curve for republicans. I would say for democrats, there has been a shift of the "fat" part of the curve to the left, whereas the republican curve looks more like the traditional bell curve.

Katana1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Good on ha bro. Make a good convert. Teach her safety first. Even liberals have a right to defend themselve from those even more liberal.

If she is going to carry, get her enrolled in a class, even a ladies class. She might not even need to own a gun to take the class or you can lend her one for the class. Sometimes rentals are available as well. I made the investment in classes years ago for my wife. I went with her and wouldn't you know it, I learned a thing or two as well.

You can, in fact, teach an old dog new tricks!

IronHammer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2017
    SW Indiana
    Hookeye, I gotta disagree with you on this. My lightbulb came on and stayed on when, at 32 years old, I read "John Adams" by Douglas McCullough and it totally changed my world-view. That was 15 years ago. I never carried the liberal flag into battle but I was definitely on their side until I read that book. I started seeing things even clearer from discussions with a conservative friend at work. People can and do change when they put their brains to work. I went too long without using mine because I was trapped in the liberal echo-chamber. All it took was a good friend to help me see the light.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My friend has decided to get a Taurus model 856. She liked the model 85 grip but wanted 6 rds instead of 5rds. She located one at her lgs that she plans to buy. I'm supposed to help her get her permit application finished tomorrow and go check on the revolver she wants. Now she wants to learn how to reload for the 38 special also. This is getting interesting.

Rubix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2020
    Harlan
    Ran into a liberal acquaintance at a BBQ this past week. This person has been admitted to state facilities for mental issues (I think more than once) and jailed for alcohol infused fisticuffs. Bi-polar and not the "mild" type. Got upset when I talked through the process and the 4473. Of course, not long ago, "sensible gun regulation" was their soapbox topic of choice.

Top Bottom