Longtime liberal friend wants to buy a gun now.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Those were at least some sort of guidance and help, not "go **** up a rope." If you don't personally want to help first-hand, you're pointing a person in the right direction. I'm fine with that.

Which is exactly how I described it earlier in this thread. Freedom of association is a real thing and no one should be compelled to directly help someone who has "pissed down a rope" on them.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Which is exactly how I described it earlier in this thread. Freedom of association is a real thing and no one should be compelled to directly help someone who has "pissed down a rope" on them.

Disagreement =/= pissing down a rope, though. Hence my original statements (unhealthy, atheist, yada, yada) rather than your additions.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Who ever said anyone should be compelled to do anything?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    So several of you would not help a friend of 20+ years get a gun and help train them because they do not share your beliefs? Have you ever thought helping them take the steps into the firearm world might change their minds later on? I'm talking a friend, not someone at work you are friendly with. Someone that you have known for years and their family is friends with your family. Seriously several of you would turn that friend away because of political beliefs?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So several of you would not help a friend of 20+ years get a gun and help train them because they do not share your beliefs? Have you ever thought helping them take the steps into the firearm world might change their minds later on? I'm talking a friend, not someone at work you are friendly with. Someone that you have known for years and their family is friends with your family. Seriously several of you would turn that friend away because of political beliefs?

He hatred is so real, that we can't bear not being able to hate? :dunno:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Hell, I'm doing my part.
    Took a noob out twice.
    Next, we get him a gun.
    He was never "against" guns, just didn't see the need.

I stayed away from politics. Wanted it to only be about the gun.
    But in the car, it was "can you believe the lies CNN puts out", and said positive things about Pres. Trump.
    I thought I was going to drive off the road.
    :faint:

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    People who never thought guns were needed, changing their minds as opposed to "gun controllers" suddenly wanting one, are two very different things. I'll roll out a red carpet for the first group. The second group? maybe, depending on relationship and attitude. Otherwise, I'll direct them to a class.

It really is hard to separate politics from gun ownership--I'm not talking about actual instruction. While the first group usually support 2A like true converts, the anti-gun types don't usually change their world views because they're so invested in left wing politics, even if they do enjoy shooting. After going shooting my SIL did comment once that "No, David is right, SEMI automatics aren't machine guns" but that doesn't change how she votes. Likewise, your real estate matters--location, location. If everyone around you is left or right, that can color your views. My BIL lives near SF, CA. He said his neighbors have conservative attitudes about many things, many own guns (those approved by CA--for now), but all vote democrat. Living in a left wing bubble and being personally apolitical, they don't see through the MSM lies. Like goebbels said: tell a big enough lie often enough and it will become "true"

rjsone

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    I always find it interesting how one’s views change once they can imagine “problems in the news” hitting closer to home and affecting them.

I would, however, also happily help a friend in this regard. I have a friend I’ve known since the second grade. We’re not close now, but I know he’s become extremely liberal. He had an experience that made him very supportive of the second amendment. It wasn’t me, but I’m glad someone was there to help him through the learning and give sound advice.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

You are not the only gun guy on earth. If they are serious, they will find the way.

Actually, regardless of your thoughts on this, the smart move is to provide the new shooter with the training opportunities available.

Whether they pick this up or not is on them, as it should be. Not on you.

Last edited:

QBall

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2020
    New Salisbury
    Isn't it strange how the tides are changing. Similar situation here as with OP. Longtime friend, who is a staunch conservative but never a gun owner has suddenly acquired a 9mm M&P, applied for a CCW and been spending a lot of time on the range. I asked him what was up and of course it's the obvious answer. I'm not going to be defenseless when these mother@#$@$%@ show up at my house. He lives in a suburb of Detroit. I told him he needed a shotgun to go with the M&P...

Dimik

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2018
    Mishawaka
    Late to the party, but I think you're doing the right thing.
    When a crisis happens, you have two choices. You can be that person that makes the situation worse (like telling her "you voted for these people, enjoy the consequences"). Or you can be the person who makes the situation better. I have überLib colleagues and friends, that's just how life is. One of them came for a visit last year from NYC and I took him to the range. We talked, we shot, we had a good time. He suddenly realized that guns require a lot of skill and training to be actually used and that they don't do anything by themselves. In the end he told me that he's buying a gun as soon as he leaves NYC. I also explained to him the importance of gun rights, and he agreed.
    You gotta work with people. Their convictions are based on their education and experiences. Allowing people to see the perspectives and experiences of other people is key to understanding.

cath8r

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    MILTON
    Interesting how some people are really stupid enough to think that all liberals fit in exactly one mold, and all conservatives fit exactly into another. When I see people who think that way, I immediately think "ignoramus." Of course "your side" is always right and always righteous...your fragile ego and limited mental abilities compel you to think that way. I'm against every single person who is attempting to take away OUR rights ("our" meaning ALL Americans). Pelosi, Biden, Warren, Feinstein, Bloomberg...they can all renounce their citizenship and get the hell out of here for all I care. By the same token, you might want to look at the other side: Trump's bump stock ban is 100% unconstitutional, and the inevitable brace ban is even worse. Sure, Trump is going to be a better choice for gun rights than Biden, but wrong is wrong. Want to go further? Reagan committed high treason in the Iran contra scandal. Nixon? Hey GW, where's the WMDs? Pretty sure Reagan signed some stuff into law in 1986 that I think most of us would agree wasn't "pro gun." Your side is just as bad as the other. And talking as if you are so great as to know that every single (liberal/conservative) is this way or that way, just makes you look like an ignorant ahole.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Interesting how some people are really stupid enough to think that all liberals fit in exactly one mold, and all conservatives fit exactly into another. When I see people who think that way, I immediately think "ignoramus." Of course "your side" is always right and always righteous...your fragile ego and limited mental abilities compel you to think that way. I'm against every single person who is attempting to take away OUR rights ("our" meaning ALL Americans). Pelosi, Biden, Warren, Feinstein, Bloomberg...they can all renounce their citizenship and get the hell out of here for all I care. By the same token, you might want to look at the other side: Trump's bump stock ban is 100% unconstitutional, and the inevitable brace ban is even worse. Sure, Trump is going to be a better choice for gun rights than Biden, but wrong is wrong. Want to go further? Reagan committed high treason in the Iran contra scandal. Nixon? Hey GW, where's the WMDs? Pretty sure Reagan signed some stuff into law in 1986 that I think most of us would agree wasn't "pro gun." Your side is just as bad as the other. And talking as if you are so great as to know that every single (liberal/conservative) is this way or that way, just makes you look like an ignorant ahole.

pop.gif

DFYLA72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2017
    Lafayette
    I have a super duper uber liberal aunt talking about how she wants to buy a gun. Although had a rather odd contradiction of logic. If someone was breaking into her house she'd say she'd rather just let them "take" what they want rather than start a fire fight. Said it would unnecessarily escalate the situation. Uh, you're assuming people who have no regard for your property will respect your life. I mean, you're in bed, in your house, and a stranger is now in your house with god knows what intentions. How does protecting yourself by all means make the situation worse? Why buy a gun if you think using it will be a bad idea? I didn't argue her, just made suggestions on what to buy for a 1st time gun owner.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I have a super duper uber liberal aunt talking about how she wants to buy a gun. Although had a rather odd contradiction of logic. If someone was breaking into her house she'd say she'd rather just let them "take" what they want rather than start a fire fight. Said it would unnecessarily escalate the situation. Uh, you're assuming people who have no regard for your property will respect your life. I mean, you're in bed, in your house, and a stranger is now in your house with god knows what intentions. How does protecting yourself by all means make the situation worse? Why buy a gun if you think using it will be a bad idea? I didn't argue her, just made suggestions on what to buy for a 1st time gun owner.
    Well, she could hunker down and only shoot if they actually come after her. If she has already called 911, that is probably her best bet anyway.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by Phase2

What if I paid for that service? :dunno:

Do you know any Russian hookers? Might be you and Trump have more in common than you let on. :dunno:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Interesting how some people are really stupid enough to think that all liberals fit in exactly one mold, and all conservatives fit exactly into another...

...blah, blah...

...And talking as if you are so great as to know that every single (liberal/conservative) is this way or that way, just makes you look like an ignorant ahole.

For your education, my friend...

Democratic Party on Gun Control
    Party Platform

Right to own firearms is subject to reasonable regulation

We recognize that the individual right to bear arms is an important part of the American tradition, and we will preserve Americans' Second Amendment right to own and use firearms. We believe that the right to own firearms is subject to reasonable regulation. We understand the terrible consequences of gun violence; it serves as a reminder that life is fragile, and our time here is limited and precious. We believe in an honest, open national conversation about firearms. We can focus on effective enforcement of existing laws, especially strengthening our background check system, and we can work together to enact commonsense improvements--like reinstating the assault weapons ban and closing the gun show loophole--so that guns do not fall into the hands of those irresponsible, law-breaking few.

https://www.ontheissues.org/celeb/Democratic_Party_Gun_Control.htm

Top Bottom