• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Anyone know a locksmith in the west side of Indy area that would have a decent price for a replacement key fob? I just got quoted $290 from a locksmith for a new replacement key fob for my 2021 Jeep Gladiator. That's not good, but is better than the dealer, who will want around $330.

Any help is appreciated. A couple guys on the Gladiator forum in other states said they got them for at or under $200. I'd love to find one around here that could do that deal.

Thanks!

Lpherr

Occupied
    Anyone know a locksmith in the west side of Indy area that would have a decent price for a replacement key fob? I just got quoted $290 from a locksmith for a new replacement key fob for my 2021 Jeep Gladiator. That's not good, but is better than the dealer, who will want around $330.

Any help is appreciated. A couple guys on the Gladiator forum in other states said they got them for at or under $200. I'd love to find one around here that could do that deal.

Thanks!
    With the Maxcare, we are allowed one replacement at no cost. We were told they run around $600 at the dealer.
    We haven't got a replacement yet, but we will before the Maxcare runs out.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    With the Maxcare, we are allowed one replacement at no cost. We were told they run around $600 at the dealer.
    We haven't got a replacement yet, but we will before the Maxcare runs out.
    That is good to know. I have a lifetime Maxcare warranty on my 2018 JL, but not on this 2021 Gladiator, unfortunately.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I'm not on the West side, but in Anderson the True Value hardware cuts keys and is the best and cheapest place to get fobs, maybe you have an Ace True Value that also cuts keys nearby.

BroodXI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Salem

Thanks!
    i had an issue with getting this done with a Volvo i bought the kid. No one other than the dealer wanted to touch cutting, programming the chip, or doing the fob. I ended up doing something like this video, and still came out ahead after purchasing the side cutter and a maxtel? programmer.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Google has a bunch like this,
    I got a replacement like this for the Wife's Dodge and the Dealer (Dodge + Jeep) Programed it for $30

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Do they program them, too?
    No and finding someone to program them gets difficult. I went through this when we added spare keys to the wife’s push button Rio. I could get the key, fob for $30. Getting it cut was an act of congress and getting someone to program a key they didn’t sell was even more difficult. Luckily I had a friend who had a scanner that could relearn those because they’re fairly easy. Other vehicles can be a nightmare

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Car "keys" have become as bad as DRM. They cause more problems for legitimate owners than for the criminals that steal the cars.

Probably just as well looking into buying the equipment to code the keys yourself than pay a dealer or locksmith to do the job.

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    So grateful that right now, I can get a key cut at home depot for free and do the programming on the fob myself. I have Ford 2010-2016's but I am interested in what happens. I'm sure a new car is in my future and having 2 keys now means I can program a 3rd/4th/etc key myself. But I don't think that's the case with cars past 2018 usually. I hope there's some tool you can borrow from Orilleys or Pep Boys that lets you scan and program the rfid chip on a replacement fob to the car computer like that video above references.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Did you lose the only FOB or do you just have a non-functional one?

If you have one, you can just transfer the key to a new FOB. Then you should just need to register the FOB with the vehicle. i.e. on my Corvette I can register a new FOB by going through a long learning procedure that involves sticking the key in the trunk lock and turning it on-off-on several times until the dash beeps, wait for a 10 minute count-down timer on the dash and repeat 2 more times (30 minutes total). The new FOB is now registered can be used for driver custom memory settings.

I'd check the factory service manual for that vehicle to see if there is a similar procedure.

EDIT: I see after 2017 jeep increased the security algorithms and an electronic programming device is necessary - bummer.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I got a replacement like this for the Wife's Dodge and the Dealer (Dodge + Jeep) Programed it for $30
    Wow, I'm going to investigate that!

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Did you lose the only FOB or do you just have a non-functional one?

If you have one, you can just transfer the key to a new FOB. Then you should just need to register the FOB with the vehicle. i.e. on my Corvette I can register a new FOB by going through a long learning procedure that involves sticking the key in the trunk lock and turning it on-off-on several times until the dash beeps, wait for a 10 minute count-down timer on the dash and repeat 2 more times (30 minutes total). The new FOB is now registered can be used for driver custom memory settings.

I'd check the factory service manual for that vehicle to see if there is a similar procedure.

EDIT: I see after 2017 jeep increased the security algorithms and an electronic programming device is necessary - bummer.
    The dealership lost the Fob.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I just ordered that. Will it come with a blank key, or will I need to purchase that, too?

Top Bottom