Locating a concealed carry defense lawyer!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdtodd1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Greensboro, NC
    How do I locate a defense lawyer favorable to Concealed Carry clients? The NRA tells me there is only one listed in my town of Greensboro, NC and his website gives no clue that he even handles such cases. The USCCA, American Bar Association, NC Bar Association, Greensboro Bar Association and phone book yellow pages don't address this at all! The County Sheriff's Office website declined my lawyer inquiry as being, "Unauthorized to have this information". Yet his office issued my CCW license and processes upwards of 300 per week. All I asked for was a list of lawyers who possibly specilized in armed self-defense cases.
    I can't believe that there is only one lawyer in my area listed to offer this support! Likewise, am I the only CCW licensee in this town of 300,000 seeking to line up legal back-up prior to actually having to make that jail-house call??? I thought that it would be a simple task over the internet but, not so! Before I make any phone calls, my next attempt will be to ask the guys at the gun range during my next visit for their recommendations, if any. So, I would appreciate to hear how some of you CCW guys engaged on-call legal support. Thanks, Jim Todd (jdtodd1@earthlink.net):dunno:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Most of the folks doing training for UT/FL CCW permits in your State probably can answer that question best. A little quick Google and I found several. Here are a couple:

Training

index

Also, docmagnum357 is an active THRer from WNC who also is a CCW instructor.
    Profile link: http://www.thehighroad.org/member.php?u=68595

As a side note, I haven't set up a contact list in Indy yet - I had a couple in St. Louis and would probably just call there first if I encountered a problem.

BTW - Welcome to the forum.

The NRA tells me there is only one listed in my town of Greensboro, NC and his website gives no clue that he even handles such cases.

Have you called him/her to ask? :D

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    Seriously, I doubt you will find an attorney anywhere who specializes in defending CCW permit holders. That is too specific of a description! All you need to find is a good criminal defense attorney. That is where you should be looking.

Once you narrow your search down to three or four reputable criminal defense attorneys, try to speak to each of them and ask what experience they have with your local CCW laws.

Again, even your local bar association will not have a cross reference for attorneys that specialize in CCW permit holder defense!

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    what you need one for?
    Based on this quote from the OP, I would say he's looking to carry a business card in his wallet on the off chance he might have to defend himself one day using his legally owned and carried gun. Although, based on previous conversations with people much more knowledgeable than me, I would say it's just as good or better to also make sure your significant other and/or close family member has the card and knows to call them, so you call the family member with your one call instead of the lawyer. Let the family member handle the details, just in case the lawyer doesn't answer the phone the first time when you make your one call. :)
    Likewise, am I the only CCW licensee in this town of 300,000 seeking to line up legal back-up prior to actually having to make that jail-house call???

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    I just found out that there is a group of lawyers called the "American Civil Liberties Union".

"Civil Liberties"?!! With a name like that they just HAVE to be pro-CCW!!

:rolleyes:

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    just dont see why you would need one
    IANAL.

IF you shoot someone, even in self defense, even in your own home, even in such a gun-friendly castle-doctrined state like Indiana, chances are pretty darn good you're at least going to sit in a car with pretty flashy lights, if not go directly to jail until the investigators who are investigating arrive to the conclusion that you were the victim, not the aggressor. Wouldn't you like to know you have a person like Kirk or Mr. Ciyou who is more than passingly familiar with the gun laws in the state giving you advice on what to say and what not to say (which, by the way, until your lawyer arrives should be nothing more than "I want to cooperate, officer, but I would really like to speak to my lawyer first.").

You don't PLAN to shoot someone. You don't PLAN to be the victim of a mall robbery. But you still carry a gun? You don't PLAN to be the victim of a home invasion. But you still have a gun for self-preservation in your home?

You don't PLAN to go to jail. But you do NOT have the name of a gun-friendly lawyer that you can call? That's your decision, but that is why some people choose to carry that business card.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I deal with attorneys on a regular basis and a lot of them hunt or shoot. Besides as long as you are paying them, I think all of them will be as gun friendly as you want.

pax

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Try this: Armed Citizens Network

That's the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network. It was started by Marty & Gila Hayes (full disclosure: good friends of mine) and has on board such good people as Massad Ayoob, John Farnam, Tom Givens, and Jim Cirillo, Jr.

The basic setup is pretty simple. You have a membership organization which provides legal support to their members and solid basic legal education pertinent to the armed citizen. The benefits include referals to local lawyers familiar with how to defend good guys caught up in self-defense cases from start to finish, discounts on professional firearms training from a variety of schools, access to qualified expert witnesses in a variety of defense-related areas, and consulting support for your own lawyer. Those are all automatic with membership. And then alongside that membership organization (and funded by part of the membership dues), you also have a deep pockets foundation which is pledged to provide monetary and direct legal support to members involved in self-defense cases. The foundation doesn't just automatically come to the aid of every member who might get embroiled in a situation; rather, the board (consisting of Ayoob, Farnam, Givens, Cirillo, Marty Hayes, and Vincent Schuck) carefully vetts each case and accepts only those where a majority agree that the member was in fact on the side of the righteous in his or her actions.

I joined. :)

pax

Last edited:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Don't know his name but how about the lawyer that Don of Don's guns use. I think his picture is posted in the store on Lafayette rd, Indy. Bet he is good.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Try this: Armed Citizens Network

That's the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network. It was started by Marty & Gila Hayes (full disclosure: good friends of mine) and has on board such good people as Massad Ayoob, John Farnam, Tom Givens, and Jim Cirillo, Jr.

I was going to post a pointer to this organization. Marty Hayes was a cop for many years and recently completed law school. He presented his new organization to us at the Winter Tactical Conference in Memphis last February and it's a Really Good Idea.

I know who I will call first if I have a problem. I know who I will call second (in terms of attorneys).

In my opinion, anyone who chooses to keep or carry a firearm for defense is making a huge mistake by not identifying a competent attorney before they have a problem. I'm not saying you have to have someone on retainer, but after you are facing charges is the wrong time to be looking for someone to help you.

Why would someone plan ahead by acquiring a firearm and the skills to use it properly, but fail to prepare for the potential aftermath as well? It makes no sense.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    evolevo
    Top Bottom