• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Interesting thing that, seems that the cannabilism leads to an ingesting of, if I understand it correctly, a protein strain called Prions, which leads to a condition not unsimilar to mad cow disease.

Stay away from the brains and spinal cord and you'll be just fine. Be sure to cook your long pig well. Whatever killed it, if a pathogen, can kill you too.

tedbower

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    mooresville
    i have a freezer full of beef i raise myself and another freezer full of wild game taken by my son and myself,been doing it that way for years.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Willing to bet even the absolute die hard preppers will find themselves doing and reacting in situations they never dreamed. We talk about the lawless masses and very little is said of the truly evil fockers that rob you without a gun. There will be many pretend friends and those willing to help work together, right until they see an opportunity to undercut your operations or leadership. How many of our co-workers, friends,families or even ourselves spend hours ragging about the other guy? Our boss is an idiot! I work harder than so and so! That is how it is now everywhere. Imagine the effects PAW will bring out.
    If we can count two people that will selflessly work with us either out of loyalty or love we can consider ourselves lucky. Many will have no one to count and those will be the truly dangerous IMHO.

I am disabled because of my back and hip. I am obese because I cannot exercise any longer. Most will see me as a drain not realizing my abilities, knowledge, preparation, dedication to my family or my willingness to selflessly defend so that my family and more capable or able bodied might survive. I still prepare and plan. I just find myself praying that day never comes.
    I have thought long and hard about this and have concluded that I just don't fit into the picture no matter how prepared I am. No matter what I have to trade with. My family and I will never be able to trust others to not try and take advantage of either our sense of charity, stores or knowledge. If this were not true there would not be the disregard for our fellow man that is so common in our everyday lives.
    We will continue to share and help as many as we can and drawing the cut off line will be impossible to predict. I hope and pray we exit this world as innocent as we entered.

Where do we go from here?

Please remember that I am a person with feelings and the truest heart I can maintain. I spoke not for sympathy or how to advice. But in a plea for all of us to look into our hearts and try to fix these problems before...

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    If we can count two people that will selflessly work with us either out of loyalty or love we can consider ourselves lucky. Many will have no one to count and those will be the truly dangerous IMHO.

Agreed, if you plan on surviving you are much better off as a group of people that plan, train, and trust each other. Make that your priority.

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    For you folks who have an acre or so, and live outside the city limits, Goats are a good bang for the $$$ animal. Goat milk is drinkable raw, can make cheese and soap from it, the meat is similar enough to beef to fool most people. Goats will eat bushes, trees, and just about everything in between. They love pine trees and if your cutting for fire wood they will clean up the small stuff for you. The medical care of them in minimal, and can be done by most country folks. If property size is a problem there are dwarf or Pygmy goats. Easier yet to handle and still produce. Inexpensive to start out too, IF you have a secure area to keep them in.

I totally agree with chickens, we have them also, for eggs and meat. Also turkeys. They can co-exist without a lot of problems.

Most urban cities have a limit on chickens but allow some.

Rabbits are another good meat animal that most cities don't regulate. Their waste is also good on the gardens.

While your starting your gardens why not eliminate the chemicals like miracle grow, and Scott products and do it naturally. You might not get as big but you will still get produce. Heirloom seeds, so your plants will produce that which can be used to replant.

We also turned grass to food. We did this by turning what was a beautiful manicured lawn into pasture.

The grass that does still exist is let to grow and then mowed, dried and bagged in old feed bags for the Goats in the winter time. BTW goats will also eat leaves, so as long as you keep them dry collect the leaves in the fall that are put to the curb, and use them as feed.

A message board you can find tons of good specific support on these and many more like subjects is Homesteading Today - getting back-to-the-land practicing sustainable, agricultural, ecologically sound, energy efficient, self-sufficient lifestyles

They have sections for many of the topics in this thread, and this post.

Interesting MOVIE I saw, don't remember the name of it, was keeping fish in a rain barrel as a food source. I want to try that. I use rain barrels and catchment system to water our animals anyway.

A word on Pigs. NASTY stubborn animals. Can be worth the effort, ESPECIALLY for the BACON! But be aware it can be challenging to move them, and contain them, without proper equipment. I have finally come to the point where I have a system down, and will get more pigs, but I don't really like them. The goats are just so much easier.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If you can find any Foxfire Books, check them out. They are a series of down home how to books. I am not sure if they are currently printed. They are on ebay or do a Google Search. Recommended for SHTF.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I am building a place to live inside Marion County that is adjacent to a Park that has deer and other edible criters.

If I plant a garden and they wonder onto my property to eat my corn and beans, can I shoot them for tresspassing? LOL!

However, I don't think my Sister will let me do that.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    Lots of good info here guys....

Thank you...

Mr.Hoppes I may have to talk to you next spring about a couple hogs, I can't seem to find a small breeder in my area and a large breeder won't sell outright.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    For you folks who have an acre or so, and live outside the city limits, Goats are a good bang for the $$$ animal. Goat milk is drinkable raw, can make cheese and soap from it, the meat is similar enough to beef to fool most people. Goats will eat bushes, trees, and just about everything in between. They love pine trees and if your cutting for fire wood they will clean up the small stuff for you. The medical care of them in minimal, and can be done by most country folks. If property size is a problem there are dwarf or Pygmy goats. Easier yet to handle and still produce. Inexpensive to start out too, IF you have a secure area to keep them in.

I totally agree with chickens, we have them also, for eggs and meat. Also turkeys. They can co-exist without a lot of problems.

Most urban cities have a limit on chickens but allow some.

Rabbits are another good meat animal that most cities don't regulate. Their waste is also good on the gardens.

While your starting your gardens why not eliminate the chemicals like miracle grow, and Scott products and do it naturally. You might not get as big but you will still get produce. Heirloom seeds, so your plants will produce that which can be used to replant.

We also turned grass to food. We did this by turning what was a beautiful manicured lawn into pasture.

The grass that does still exist is let to grow and then mowed, dried and bagged in old feed bags for the Goats in the winter time. BTW goats will also eat leaves, so as long as you keep them dry collect the leaves in the fall that are put to the curb, and use them as feed.

A message board you can find tons of good specific support on these and many more like subjects is Homesteading Today - getting back-to-the-land practicing sustainable, agricultural, ecologically sound, energy efficient, self-sufficient lifestyles

They have sections for many of the topics in this thread, and this post.

Interesting MOVIE I saw, don't remember the name of it, was keeping fish in a rain barrel as a food source. I want to try that. I use rain barrels and catchment system to water our animals anyway.

A word on Pigs. NASTY stubborn animals. Can be worth the effort, ESPECIALLY for the BACON! But be aware it can be challenging to move them, and contain them, without proper equipment. I have finally come to the point where I have a system down, and will get more pigs, but I don't really like them. The goats are just so much easier.

My wife says the kids always get her goat.
    I wish we could get some. There are Pea Hens in our neighborhood that wander from house to house. I wonder if we let some goats roam the community would have a fit?

Hmmm

Dude my wife really wants her goat back!

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I'm gonna talk to my dad and see if we can get some pigs and maybe a couple cows again this year and feed them out like we have in the past years. We normally buy some, feed them out, and sell them to family/friends for them to butcher. I think we've still got a good bit of pork from last time, but I think we are due for some more beef I'm gonna have to talk to dad, lol. We use to raise hogs when i was young to sell them at the market, but the market got so bad we got out of it cause we were losing money. I'm also gonna try to talk to mom and see if she wants to do a garden again this year and actually help her this time if she does, lol. I've also been thinking about planting some more fruit trees, both here at the house and out in our small woods. There are creeks and ponds nearby I can fish in for food too so that helps. I've got a few diff ways to cook and heat with if needed. And as long as our generator runs for electricity we will have water. I love living on a farm :)

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    Farm boy I too have a deep well on my property you should look into PV panels and 12volt deep cycle with an inverter to run the well. Also just in case you can get a hand pump that will function in a deep well I don't recall the site now just do a search for it.

erik7941

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Noblesville
    Mike, I'm glad there's someone else who thinks like my friends and I do. Especially the last several months, we've been compiling a list of people we know who have a good-producing livestock farm, large garden, or any other means of producing food and water. I have grown up on a small farm and have spent my life so far hunting and fishing. I have a friend that owns a cabin in southern IN that has no running water and no electricity and we go there year-round as a vacation. It has a pond and a small woods surrounding it, and if SHTF, that's where I'm headed. Some people call me paranoid or crazy, if it never does hit the fan, then I'll go back to the grocery store. But if poo does begin to fly, bring it on, I'm ready.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Farm boy I too have a deep well on my property you should look into PV panels and 12volt deep cycle with an inverter to run the well. Also just in case you can get a hand pump that will function in a deep well I don't recall the site now just do a search for it.

I do have an inverter but I"m not sure if it would be big enough. Its a 700 watt max, 350 rms though so I'm not sure if it would be enough. I guess I might have to look into a bigger one sometime. I'm also gonna get a good few of the big water containers like the one I take camping sometimes so I can have a way to store some up for a while to use in emergency if we can't run the pump all the time. A hand pump would be a decent idea maybe I'll have to do a search for that site.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    We are not as ready for a SHTF situation as some (ex. Mikea46996). BUT, we are preparing and doing the best we can at it. We dont have a lot of money to be throwing into preps, but we do what we can! We have a 3BOB's packed and ready with some of the major items that would/could be needed. As far as resources...Like Mikea said, Water, Food, shelter...in that order. We're slowly but surely stock piling all we can.
    This is my first year with a garden (I'm only 25), but so far...so good. It's not huge, but it will produce and that's better than nothing at all. I'm not exactly a hunter ( more of an animal rights activist...that eats meat..lol), but if it comes down to it...so be it. My entire family are hunters so? I'm a fisher, and a rather good one I must say, so that option is open for me. I am also studying wild plants/weeds that you can eat.
    DONT BE MISTAKEN PEOPLE....
    If a shtf situation arises...you want to be armed. I saw someone (have no clue who) posting that guns and ammo were not high on there list. I would rethink that. Because if you have all the preps you need in order to survive and keep your family alive, people will be knocking down your door trying to get it. You are talking starving, desperate people. And that goes for ANY shtf situation. I dont care if it's a nuke/flood/economic collapse...ANYTHING. I know if I was starving and my daughter was starving that I would do WHAT EVER I needed to do to survive. And sadly to say, that includes robbing or whatever. (Thank god I'm a preper and probably wont have to take that route).
    I agree that around 50% of the population wouldnt endure the first year. Maybe even more IMHO. People have no clue. Like previously stated, people freak out when the electric goies out for more than a day. People are not ready for this situation because they are so oblivious to the possibility of it happening.
    Not to offend, but most of this generation is 100% ignorant to how this country used to be. Very few, imo, could survive off nature BECAUSE very few think it will happen...It hasn't even ran through thier heads. But if/when it does happen.....It's going to hit them hard....
    I knew nothing about survivalist websites and what not until about 6 months ago. THEY ARE VERY INFORMATIVE. I try to pass the sites on to friends and family that are oblivious, hoping they look into it. When the time comes...I dont want to say "I told you so!"

I think I got a little off track here....It's been a long day. So if things are mis-spelled, You will live. :)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom