• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Several years ago our power went out for 4 days during January. Single didget temps at night. We got by. Afterwards it got me thinking more about being more prepared.

So now about once a month in our house we do what my kids call "Little House on the Prarie night". (My kids love watching old reruns of that show.)

Anyway, we turn off the lights, tv, video games, computer etc. Spend the evening with no power. Usually I will read them a story and play some card games or board games.

I think its a good idea to have several of these games around to entertain the kids during any kind of SHTF.

At first, my wife thought I was nuts, "Turn of the power?! On purpose?" Now the kids look foreward to it. The wife still thinks Im nuts, but she goes along.

It also gets everyone thinking about what it might be like, and maybe it wont be such a big adjustment for them if it really happens.

Does anyone else out there do this or drills maybe? Or is my wife right about me being nuts?

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Not nuts at all, imo. It's a good way to prepare yourself and your family for what may happen sometime.
    It's totally different from camping when you are "home". You'll run into different obstacles at home than you would at a planned camping trip.

Good for you. If I had rep, you'd get it!

RacineDKringle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    Sounds like a great idea!

I love it when the power goes out. No computer fans, no electrical 'hum' everywhere. Candlelight. =)

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    The book series is a must read for every parent to their children.

The books are terrific, have read them to our kids. Very interesting to read first hand accounts of how they lived, stored food and everything in the 1800's. A lot of hard work. Those were some very tough individuals. I doubt if most of us could do that today....

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Sounds like a great idea to me. Not only for preparedness training but also a great way to spend quality time with your family.

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    DO you try to fix food also. better to be prepared and not need it.

Not usually, but that is a good idea. We have a propane stove with electric lighting pilot. For the top burners I can just use a match when we have no electric, so we can heat things up.

But for the oven, without electricity the valve will not open to let in any propane. In other words I cannot light the oven without power.

Does anyone know if there is a way to by pass this? I should have kept our old stove that you can light the oven with a match. I sold it for 50 bucks, stupid, I hate this new stove. :xmad:

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Does anyone know if there is a way to by pass this? I should have kept our old stove that you can light the oven with a match. I sold it for 50 bucks, stupid, I hate this new stove. :xmad:
    Check the electrical schematic. The model my father has (Kenmore) is wired with a 24v circuit for the pilot, and can be jumped easily. Figure out how to do it now, then you're set if you ever need it. i wouldn't disable the circuit until you need to, for obvious reasons.

shooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Thats a very wise drill. It will help much in the event of a actual emergency. Comfort is often found in things that are not out of place...

Top Bottom