• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeffforpresident

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   1
    Nov 12, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Hey guys, first off I’ll be completely honest, I know nothing about AR’s but I am trying to learn.
    I have a Savage MSR with mlok and it’s nice but the thing is freaking heavy or is it? It comes in at 7.3 lbs stock. I’ve been thinking about taking off the red dot and putting a variable scope or suppressor on it but I don’t want a 15 lb AR. Would an AR pistol be better suppressed?
    Also looking for suggestions of lightweight, good quality ARs for under 1200.
    If I’m just old and fat, please let know so I can just keep the savage, thanks for any help guys.

Attachments

• 1AB43C4B-6632-440F-83C0-5136FB238948.jpeg
      1AB43C4B-6632-440F-83C0-5136FB238948.jpeg
      403.9 KB · Views: 12

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    That is really not that heavy.

Light weight costs $.

https://www.brownells.com/guns/rifl...p-15-what-would-stoner-do-2022-configuration/

Or

Plus

My WWSD2020 is 6lbs 15oz, with AFG, Holosun HS512 & 3X magnifier, and sling. The balance however makes it feel lighter.

PXL_20220721_150516353.jpg

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Hey guys, first off I’ll be completely honest, I know nothing about AR’s but I am trying to learn.
    I have a Savage MSR with mlok and it’s nice but the thing is freaking heavy or is it? It comes in at 7.3 lbs stock. I’ve been thinking about taking off the red dot and putting a variable scope or suppressor on it but I don’t want a 15 lb AR. Would an AR pistol be better suppressed?
    If I’m just old and fat, please let know so I can just keep the savage, thanks for any help guys.
    You can do a few things to your rifle to trim some weight.

Buy a pencil barrel that will shave off some weight if your current barrel is a heavy barrel. A 16" pencil barrel weight is around 1.2lb compared to around 2lb for heavy barrels.
    Buy a carbon fiber rail. You can get them lighter than 8oz.

$1200 will not get you a lightweight rifle but you can change out a few parts to achieve a lighter rifle.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Those savages are decent ARs. If you're not going to be slinging your rifle around all day then weight shouldn't be a factor. Sure it may be fun to shave weight off a rifle but if you're just getting yourself acclimated to the platform then you might discover you like a little weight. There's something to be said for a nice solid low recoiling ar15

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Those savages are decent ARs. If you're not going to be slinging your rifle around all day then weight shouldn't be a factor. Sure it may be fun to shave weight off a rifle but if you're just getting yourself acclimated to the platform then you might discover you like a little weight. There's something to be said for a nice solid low recoiling ar15
    ^^^ This! There is a NOTICEABLE difference in felt recoil force and impulse between the WWSD2020 and my LWRCI. The LW is more pleasant to shoot from a recoil perspective with faster follow up shots from recoil recovery.

The WWSD2020 however, is just a marvel of balance, and compared to the LW' feels very light. different tools for different jobs.

Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230310_144925_Samsung Internet.jpg
      Screenshot_20230310_144925_Samsung Internet.jpg
      121 KB · Views: 10

Hatchet601

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2022
    Evansville
    Barrel will be one of the biggest contributors in actual weight and “felt” weight. I have 2 almost identical 16” builds, One has pencil barrel, the other a standard M4 profile. Night and day felt difference. Same thing in my 2 Grendel’s - 1 has a thick Saturn barrel, the other is a standard upper PSA….again huge difference.

Before you spend a bunch of money on a lot of little things- Go after the barrel.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    You might find some good ideas and perspective in this thread I started.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    You might find some good ideas and perspective in this thread I started.
    This thread is where I'd start if I were you.

@Squid556 made an extremely economically effective very lightweight rifle. His build cost 1/3 what my V Seven costs and weighs half a pound more. Granted, I could have saved 9.5 more ounces going with a pencil barrel but I didn't want to use one.

Like others said - the barrel will make the absolute biggest difference. I'd get a Faxon pencil and go pistol build after this brace BS blows over. But barrel - then handguard after will make the most difference. You could have a 12lbs AR with solid lead attached to the stock and receiver but if you had a pencil barrel and light weight handguard it would feel light still.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    This thread is where I'd start if I were you.

@Squid556 made an extremely economically effective very lightweight rifle. His build cost 1/3 what my V Seven costs and weighs half a pound more. Granted, I could have saved 9.5 more ounces going with a pencil barrel but I didn't want to use one.

Like others said - the barrel will make the absolute biggest difference. I'd get a Faxon pencil and go pistol build after this brace BS blows over. But barrel - then handguard after will make the most difference. You could have a 12lbs AR with solid lead attached to the stock and receiver but if you had a pencil barrel and light weight handguard it would feel light still.
    Thanks for the shout out, made my day. If I had the coin to drop on VSeven I would have in a heart beat. Their stuff really gets my gears turning.

OP, their website is sure worth looking into. They specialize in weight reduction. If nothing else its a useful research tool.

The other company to research is 2A Armament. Also specializing in lightweight albeit a lesser price point than VSeven.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Also SmokeComposites.com and BrigandArms.com

IMO if you were to catch the bug and go all the way, a mix of all of these aforementioned 4 companies along with Faxons pencil barrel is the way to go for absolute maximum weight savings.

You can get all the way down to 3lbs 8 ounces if you part with enough coins. Coupled with an Energetic Armament ARX and a AEMs that would get a 4lbs 5 ounce rifle.

I really want to do it but I've got too many fun things and not enough serious builds so it'll be a year or so before I go that route. But I will get it done soon(ish).

Roam makes lightweight AR10 parts and are releasing a AR15 set sometime this year which will be the new king of lightweight receiver sets.

My build was never to be the lightest, I just wanted to go as light as I could without sacrificing strength where I felt I wanted it

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    For weight comparison:
    • US military M4 Carbine (iron sights): 7.75 pounds with sling and loaded 30 round magazine
    • US military M16A1 (iron sights): 7.9 pounds with sling and loaded 30 round magazine
    • US Military M16A2 (iron sights): 8.8 pounds with sling and loaded 30 round magazine
    The M16A1/A2/A3/A4 have 20" barrels, rifle buffers and rifle stocks. The significant weight addition to the A2 is its heavier barrel. Its slightly longer stock didn't add much. M4 also has a heavier barrel, albeit 14.5" long with carbine buffer and lighter stock. The M16A3 is the same as the A2 with A1 fire control group. M16A4 with carry handle is about the same weight as the A2.

Biggest weight reduction possible is in pencil barrel, low profile gas block, and lightest handguard, using iron sights, such as those made by Troy industries. As soon as you add red dot LED or holo optics, weight goes up. Unless you're building an SBR, that's a 16" barrel. In 5.56mm, going shorter than a 10.5" barrel greatly reduces its terminal ballistics performance. Pin and welding a muzzle device to a shorter barrel to make it 16" won't get you much, if any, weight reduction. To reiterate . . . barrel is the main weight drivers followed by handguard . . . and omit a carry handle on the upper. You can do a custom build with more weight reduction, such as a carbon fiber wrapped barrel and lightweight bolt carrier, but you're going to spend some $$$$$ doing it. Having used rifles with fixed bayonets, the biggest "felt weight" in handling one is stuff added on to the barrel, especially at or near the end of the barrel.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom