• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    I have been toying with the idea of attaching a light to my HD handgun. One school of thought says that it is a good idea because you can illuminate the threat without having to grab a second item (ie: a flashlight) and gives you the ability to use a 2 handed grip on your weapon. The other school of thought is that it easily gives your position away to the bad guy. Kinda leaning towards "pulling the trigger" on the idea and thought I would ask the option of those with some experience in the area before doing it. What say ye, gents?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a light on my HD gun but keep a flashlight on the nightstand as well. If the dogs barking at a shadow in the bedroom that shouldn't be there, I want the light on the gun. I don't want to fumble with a separate light and gun in that situation.

But, also, I don't want to have to point a gun at something that is not an immediate threat, so I keep a flashlight on the nightstand too

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    WML are fine, though unnecessary unless you routinely hunt things at night. Either way you need a handheld light. If you are going to run a WML on a handgun it is advisable to get some training in it's use, especially how not to use it. They are definitely all the rage.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I have a light on my HD gun but keep a flashlight on the nightstand as well. If the dogs barking at a shadow in the bedroom that shouldn't be there, I want the light on the gun. I don't want to fumble with a separate light and gun in that situation.

But, also, I don't want to have to point a gun at something that is not an immediate threat, so I keep a flashlight on the nightstand too
    If the light is bright enough (which most modern ones are extremely bright)in an indoor setting you will light up the whole room just pointing at the ground.
    I have been toying with the idea of attaching a light to my HD handgun. One school of thought says that it is a good idea because you can illuminate the threat without having to grab a second item (ie: a flashlight) and gives you the ability to use a 2 handed grip on your weapon. The other school of thought is that it easily gives your position away to the bad guy. Kinda leaning towards "pulling the trigger" on the idea and thought I would ask the option of those with some experience in the area before doing it. What say ye, gents?

Just because you have a wml doesn’t mean you have to turn it on they all have a switch as far as I know. A handheld would give away your position the same as a wml

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    If the light is bright enough (which most modern ones are extremely bright)in an indoor setting you will light up the whole room just pointing at the ground.
    And be aware of the ones that strobe. You can wash out your vision completely inside a room when the light bounces back off the walls.

Jim McKalip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland
    One of the lights in my bedroom turns on from a remote switch that I keep under my pillow. I got the switch on Amazon. If this has a disadvantage, I haven't thought of it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Several good points in the thread. FWIW, I've done a lot of building clearing in the dark and use both, context dependent. I also came real close to shooting my reflection in a mirror when I was brand new to WML and we were being taught to use it in what would now be considered not best practices ways. Don't target ID with it, unless you're using splash. Dry practice with it. Keep a handheld anyway.

For in your home, you should be able to "precondition" with ambient lighting anyway. Or, roombahs with spot lights on voice command. One of these is serious...

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    INHO... EVERY weapon intended for defensive use should have a light mounted... provided they have that capability. (not all do of course, including some of mine)

#1. You should still have a hand held light. Keep in mind this is for use when you don't have a weapon mounted light, or feel there is no threat. (Most everyday use)

*If you think there's any chance at all you may have to fire your weapon... and you have enough warning... I suggest a good two handed grip... Only hits will stop a threat, and you're liable for every miss... hence the mounted light. Holding a light in one hand WILL compromise your accuracy.

#2. For the tactical Timmys out there preaching how you shouldn't "aim" a weapon with a light at the target when searching... Remember that a "light" is not a "laser". It's an illumination tool, NOT an "aiming" tool. There will be plenty of spill (off axis) to see what you need to see with the light on. Once (if) the target is identified as a threat... it, and the area around it, will be already lit up, and the weapon close enough that it can be quickly brought online for engagement.

If it is determined that there is no threat, then the weapon was not directly "aimed" at an innocent to begin with.

Just my .02.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ...#2. For the tactical Timmys out there preaching how you shouldn't "aim" a weapon with a light at the target when searching... Remember that a "light" is not a "laser". It's an illumination tool, NOT an "aiming" tool. There will be plenty of spill (off axis) to see what you need to see with the light on. Once (if) the target is identified as a threat... it, and the area around it, will be already lit up, and the weapon close enough that it can be quickly brought online for engagement.

If it isn't preached, it's exactly what lots of people do naturally. Seen it many times. So, it's exactly what should be preached. People often don't intuitively think about spill, bounce, reflection, etc.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Better to have it and not need it…

But learn to use the splash with it, and if you find a threat it’s not only lights them up, but also blinds them.

Practice with it, also get a blue gum or inert replica while you’re at it

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    OP, also, if you're not aware, there's been at least one annual opportunity to practice low light skills at the ACT Low Light Skills class (just missed this year's) for some years now. JFYI. Great format to try things, discuss things, and get feedback.

WillH

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 4, 2022
    Fort Wayne
    I have a large family, so a weapon mounted light makes sense for me because I want to be 100% certain that the person I'm about to shoot is actually the home intruder and not just a family member. However, if you live alone, or it's just you and a spouse, and it would be highly unusual for anyone else to be in the household, maybe you don't need one. In my case, it's better to have a slight tactical disadvantage but also have certainty that my family is safe, but your situation may be different.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I have a large family, so a weapon mounted light makes sense for me because I want to be 100% certain that the person I'm about to shoot is actually the home intruder and not just a family member. However, if you live alone, or it's just you and a spouse, and it would be highly unusual for anyone else to be in the household, maybe you don't need one. In my case, it's better to have a slight tactical disadvantage but also have certainty that my family is safe, but your situation may be different.
    I am totally in favor of WML on a home defense gun, but I sure as heck am not going to use it to PID family members.

WillH

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 4, 2022
    Fort Wayne
    I am totally in favor of WML on a home defense gun, but I sure as heck am not going to use it to PID family members.
    My point is if you're in a scenario where guns are already drawn you better be darn sure you're pulling the trigger on the ID'd intruder and not someone who got swept up in the confusion of a high-adrenaline scenario. No, if you're just having a peek around of course use a non WML. But why, if you feel the need to draw a gun, would you ever be pointing a gun in the dark? And why would you ever opt to take a hand off your weapon to hold a light separately? I completely agree with you, I think I just failed to word my response very clearly.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... And why would you ever opt to take a hand off your weapon to hold a light separately? ...

So you are NOT searching with your WML. Which is what you will be doing in the heat of the moment, under stress. Regardless of what you might speculate about spill, residual light and such.

It's why we train to use various anchor points for the handheld lights, while shooting very effectively one handed at night time engagement distances. Some of us also train with handheld light additions like lanyards and attached rings, so the handheld light can be "abandoned" to go both hands on the weapon, if need be.

Top Bottom