• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Thieves are thieves whether they wear badges or not.

A safe is meant to protect your belongings against thieves. If the product gives thieves access to your property with a simple phone call, then what the **** is the point of their product?

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Thieves are thieves whether they wear badges or not.

A safe is meant to protect your belongings against thieves. If the product gives thieves access to your property with a simple phone call, then what the **** is the point of their product?
    Really this is no different than many other products. Look at the Ford vehicles and a vin number the dealer can produce a replication of keys.

StumpGump

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2022
    Avon
    That's funny read this thread an hour ago then the first article that shows on my news feed is surprise, suprise a news piece about the same thing! Big brother Google is watching! But for real they have warrant, last thing I'd want to do is have to buy a new safe too, I know that's not the point but I guess neither is the guys IQ.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Apparently there is a "master code" to Liberty Safes. Or at least a particular model of Liberty Safes.

The FBI now has that master code.

That means that they can open any safe (or that model of safe), owned by anyone, with a minimal of effort.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Apparently there is a "master code" to Liberty Safes. Or at least a particular model of Liberty Safes.

That means that they can open any safe (or that model of safe), owned by anyone, with a minimal of effort.
    We do to know if is brand specific, model specific, or unit specific…

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

If they work like Ft. Knox, there is no master code to all safes or all models. Each safe has a master code, which they can access via s/n. Ft. Knox includes (or at least used to) the master code inside the safe with the sales paperwork. You can set multiple other codes, but the master can't be overwritten. Or, more accurately, it can't be overwritten unobtrusively. I suppose a lock smith could change out some bits and bobs to change it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Not exactly. Technologically, maybe but philosophically/morally not a dime's worth of difference.

Agree to disagree. It's the difference between "you have to join in the manhunt to help me look for this fugitive" vs "you have to let me look for the fugitive on my own".

Some businesses cooperate with LE voluntarily, as shocking as it may be. They give us video, for example, while others require a warrant. It's up to them. Neither is a constitutional issue and that "private info" is the company's info, contains no PII of yours, etc. Without already having the safe's s/n, there's no way to get the code.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Agree to disagree. It's the difference between "you have to join in the manhunt to help me look for this fugitive" vs "you have to let me look for the fugitive on my own".

Some businesses cooperate with LE voluntarily, as shocking as it may be. They give us video, for example, while others require a warrant. It's up to them. Neither is a constitutional issue and that "private info" is the company's info, contains no PII of yours, etc. Without already having the safe's s/n, there's no way to get the code.
    So scratch off melt off your safes S/N and all is lost especially if you forget.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    As much as I am against what Liberty did, several years ago I was dumping off scrap metal and the guy before me had left a gun safe. I don't remember the brand but it is something you would buy at Menards. Safe was locked of course and the scrapyard only wanted 35 bucks. When I got it home I emailed the manufacturer the s/n and they sent the combo. Hopes were dashed when it was empty, but my point is that some of these safe companies don't seem to care who they are sending the combo to if you have the s/n

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    That's funny read this thread an hour ago then the first article that shows on my news feed is surprise, suprise a news piece about the same thing! Big brother Google is watching! But for real they have warrant, last thing I'd want to do is have to buy a new safe too, I know that's not the point but I guess neither is the guys IQ.
    You’re getting railroaded for J6, you’re not going to own anything you need a safe for again.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    “Safe companies like Liberty are not necessarily required to comply with law enforcement requests for combos to break into one of their purchased products unless a court orders them to do so. Liberty, however, claimed it is their “company protocol” to give law enforcement entry and access to its products as long as those agencies possess a warrant.”

“The manufacturer’s confession that its products’ security is compromised due to the existence of a master code and its willingness to work with law enforcement even without a court order did not go over well with several loyal Liberty customers who threatened on social media to cancel their orders and switch safe companies.”

“Others criticized Liberty for its double standard on safe security. If a customer loses his safe keys or forgets his safe combination, Liberty requires him to “hire a certified locksmith” to regain entry. If the FBI wants to get into a Liberty customer’s safe, all agents have to do is dial up the company and show them a warrant with the customer’s name on it.”

“A spokesman at Ft. Knox, a national gun safe and vault company, told The Federalist his company would only divulge safe combinations to law enforcement if a court specifically ordered it or a search warrant specifically named his company. He reiterated flatly that his company would never do what Liberty did without a court order.”

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    If, big if, I had a “Liberty” fat boy safe I’d give’em a call tomorrow. Just to let them know how I feel, (angry). The customer service number is in the owner’s manual, or so I’m told by a friend.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    They would have just cut it open. We just had an incident where our former Sheriff was served a search warrant which included his safe(s). Didn't voluntarily open them and the Fire Department was requested to the scene and opened them.

Don't care it's the principal, if the .gov can get a search warrant they can get a plasma torch to cut open my safe **** them. I could rather slam a car door on my hand than help the police or government in any way shape or form. Absolute scum of the earth.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    From my experience if a company is served with a proper subpoena they will provide with what is asked for. For the most part it doesn't matter what company you buy from.

If for some reason they don't provide the info they will find other means to get it.

It doesn't sound like Liberty Safe was served with a subpoena. It sounds like the police just said they had a search warrant for someone's safe. I doubt that Liberty was legally required to give them the information.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    It doesn't sound like Liberty Safe was served with a subpoena. It sounds like the police just said they had a search warrant for someone's safe. I doubt that Liberty was legally required to give them the information.

They were not , liberty just gave the FBI a backdoor into every one of their safes as far as I am concerned. Calling Johnson safe in the morning, I was serious about buying a liberty here soon as my house will be completed in December.

Top Bottom