• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bw8755

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    South Bend
    Thought I'd share the letter I sent to Joe Donnelly. Any feedback is welcome.

Senator Donnelly,

As your constituent, I strongly urge you to show. Support for the Second Ammendment of the US and Indiana by opposing any attempt at banning so-called assault weapons as well as "high capacity" magazines.

There is nothing about an "assault rifle" that is any more dangerous than any other civilian rifle out there. An adjustable stock and pistol grip only makes it so everyone regardless of stature can safely and comfortably handle the rifle. Surely this can't be a bad thing. Also, it's a total fallacy to suggest a bayonet holder makes the rifle any more dangerous. When was he last time you heard about a drive-by bayoneting? A flash suppressor only helps to assist with recoil and prevent night vision blindness - again, it's a safety thing.

That leaves us with detachable magazines. Allowing a 30 or 10 round magazine limit still uses a detachable magazine. Thus, the aspect of a detachable magazine on its own accord does not make the rifle any more or less dangerous.

This finally leaves us with the debate on magazine capacity. Excluding sporting purposes, a gun should never be used until it is needed, as determined by the many,many gun laws. However, once the criteria has been met to justify use of any firearm, you NEED it until you no longer need it. Which means putting an arbitrary limit on how much it can be used regardless of the current situation is a huge detriment to the safety of the lawful user who is in NEED of a firearm to defend themselves or others. See the recent example of the Georgia mother who ran out of bullets and still the criminal did not die - thankfully he chose to flee rather than continue his aggression. What if there were more than one criminal, as is common?

None of the above will prevent another horrific mass shooting tragedy. None of the above will prevent gang violence.

I truly hope that you will use logic, and not emotion, when discussing any legislation, but especially in the upcoming debates on gun control.

Respectfully,
    Brian

Top Bottom