• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I've been researching weapon lights for my new AR. I really had my heart set on a Surefire.

What I've read so far, the Scout is the most popular. But the price is VERY steep. $300+, depending on the mount you choose. Honestly, I'm not sure I want to spend that much on a light that I won't be able to use all the time. But it MAY be the best....

So I read about the Surefire G2x's and 6P's. I even called Surefire. Their handhelds were never meant to be used as weapon lights. Something about there only being one spring for the battery...good chance of the light not working when you need it.
    Has anyone heard of that?

Then I found this: Viking Tactics, Inc.

The VTAC L4 Surefire. Has anyone used this? Is it a clicky cap? I'm wanting a momentary on/off with twist for constant...

Any one have any thoughts?

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I run Surefire Scout lights on 2 of my AR's. One is in a Larue LT752 offset mount on the 3 o'clock rail, positioning the switch at roughly 1 o'clock. The other is mounted at 1 o'clock on my Troy Alpha rail. I use the clicky tail cap on both, with the Magpul thumb over hold. I couldn't be happier.

I wanted to do a budget light on my AK, so I mounted a Surefire 6P in a VTAC offset mount to the left of my Ultimak rail. So far so good, but I haven't really put the rifle through much hell yet.

That VTAC combo you linked is essentially a Surefire E2D LED, minus the stike bezel and pocket clip. It's my personal favorite Surefire, and would make a wicked weapon light. The beam is a nicely focused one, and reaches way out there.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Spend the extra money and get the weapon light. As they stated, the regular lights are not made for the weapons, and while they may last awhile, it will not go well in the long run. I have the Surefire M900
    SureFire M900A Vertical Foregrip WeaponLight - Rifles, Shotguns

As stated, its a bit more expensive, and since you are not running it often, you might go with a scout light. I have seen those being used overseas as well, and they hold up great as well. I had the M900 overseas, so Im already used to it, and know the beating the one that I had was able to take.

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    Scouts are nice.

Search Results: scout

but something to think about as well is the x300 ultra with a remote switch. The x300 ultra is $219 and the remote is $69... Both items we are out of due to being very popular.

Surefire X300 Ultra Weapon Light

As far as the G2x and such, Surefire is correct. Basically they don't have springs on each end of the batteries. So there is nothing keeping the batteries from slamming into the head of the light. So it's not that the light cant take a beating, its that the batteries have a higher risk of failing/leaking.

The Jetbeam 3m and the 4sevens G5 are also pretty solid weapon lights as well.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    My StreamLight PolyTac held up for some time on my AK, and now my AR. I have it attached via a Vltor scout mount and a Magpul scout rail.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    You can find used Scout lights pretty regularly on the big AR15 forum(s). Even though it isn't considered cool I still prefer to run a pressure switch and you can't beat the output, size & weight of the Scout.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    This is the Surefire X300 on the Magpul Scout mount. It's easy to manipulate without a tail cap if you shoot "hand over".
    ScreenShot2012-10-05at102130AM_zpsde565ba2.png

ScreenShot2012-10-05at102146AM_zps477f8f83.png

ScreenShot2012-10-05at102202AM_zps299135b3.png

ScreenShot2012-10-05at102211AM_zpsbb079e27.png

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    This is the Surefire X300 on the Magpul Scout mount. It's easy to manipulate without a tail cap if you shoot "hand over".

That's a great mount, especially for $10! I mounted one of my Surefire M600C Scout lights on one. I love how the light doesnt have to clamp down on the mount, and bolts on through the body of the light.

IMAG0282.jpg

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN
    Scout lights are great and that is what I currently run on my duty AR but prior to that I ran a standard 6P in a 1" scope ring for several years and never had any problems.

TheReaper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Southeastern IN
    I piece my own weapon lights together. I use the G&R tube that's listed below and then buy the Surefire lamps and momentary/click tailcaps and you have an Executive sized light at a fraction of the price. Stick it in a Gearsector offset light mount and you have a good inexpensive option to the Surefires. I'm pro Surefire as anyone and own nearly too many to count, things are just tight right now and this is a good option!

Link
    WG6D/9D Body at G and R Tactical

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I bought an "old school" weapon light for my AR about 5 years off of Ebay. It was used when I bought it but it hasn't skipped a beat yet. It has since been moved to the hanguard from the barrel. Both lights shown need the led upgrade.

Worktoys1.jpg

TenZero

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Get ahold of Calvin @ brightflashlights.com. You won't pay nearly $300 for a Scout through him.

I have a closet full of Surefires that i've tried throughout the years. Once I got my hands on a Scout I have no need for anything else.

TheReaper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Southeastern IN
    Get ahold of Calvin @ brightflashlights.com. You won't pay nearly $300 for a Scout through him.

I have a closet full of Surefires that i've tried throughout the years. Once I got my hands on a Scout I have no need for anything else.

He speaks the truth, I buy ALL my Surefires from Brighflashlights.com:rockwoot:

Top Bottom