Lets say you have $1200 to build/buy an AR-15. What would you do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Your budget doesn't allow for Billet. Go forged. Forged is stronger and every bit as functional. You don't have the money to throw blingy non-functional stuff on your rifle.

Barrel:
    Chrome lined - slightly less accurate, but will last longer
    QPQ/Nitrided - slightly more accurate than chrome lined, lasts almost (some argue as long) as long as chrome
    Stainless - most accurate, won't last as long
    All of these are mostly argued about on the internet. Honestly, if you're shooting out barrels, you're dumping so much money into ammo that barrel cost and replacement is nothing to bat an eye at. All will likely out shoot you. Main thing is concentrate on finding a good barrel from a reputable manufacturer.

1:7 vs. 1:8.....1:8 is what I'd prefer, but I wouldn't pass over a good quality (say DD or Colt for example) barrel just because it's 1:7. Again, concentrate on getting a good barrel from a known good manufacturer. You'll likely see little difference unless you're hand loading, and either will shoot mil rounds (xm193 or m855) or most standard ammunition fine. Unless you're shooting light frangible varmint bullets, you aren't going to overspin and destroy bullets.

You have been a huge help, so I hate to ask more questions...BUT as far as the lower goes...billet or forged? And for the barrel...chrome lined? or no? 1-7 twist or 1-8?

Again, thank you so much for all your help!

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    That's what I was curious about. I always hear people saying one is better than the other, since I don't know which is better, I wasn't sure if spending the extra money was worth it. I know in some areas spending extra money is totally worth it.

Yes, in my opinion the first places to spend the money are the barrel and the BCG, Others will mention trigger here but depending on what your use of the rifle is that should vary, For an all around rifle I wouldn't go crazy here. But if you want something a little nicer than the standard triggers you'll find in parts kits, I've heard the BCM PNT trigger is decent and its only $60.00.

Also want to add, When considering an optic I am more of the mentality that you should get the rifle running first and get some Irons on it if your building it over time, If your buying everything at once then don't worry about that. But I wouldn't want to have a rifle sitting around without a trigger or BCG cause I'm saving for an optic.

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Your budget doesn't allow for Billet. Go forged. Forged is stronger and every bit as functional. You don't have the money to throw blingy non-functional stuff on your rifle.

Barrel:
    Chrome lined - slightly less accurate, but will last longer
    QPQ/Nitrided - slightly more accurate than chrome lined, lasts almost (some argue as long) as long as chrome
    Stainless - most accurate, won't last as long
    All of these are mostly argued about on the internet. Honestly, if you're shooting out barrels, you're dumping so much money into ammo that barrel cost and replacement is nothing to bat an eye at. All will likely out shoot you. Main thing is concentrate on finding a good barrel from a reputable manufacturer.

1:7 vs. 1:8.....1:8 is what I'd prefer, but I wouldn't pass over a good quality (say DD or Colt for example) barrel just because it's 1:7. Again, concentrate on getting a good barrel from a known good manufacturer. You'll likely see little difference unless you're hand loading, and either will shoot mil rounds (xm193 or m855) or most standard ammunition fine. Unless you're shooting light frangible varmint bullets, you aren't going to overspin and destroy bullets.

Again with the solid info, thanks again!

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    IMO if you don't know what you want, you don't know and have enough rounds down-range with the AR platform to spend that kind of money to get it right the first time, for your needs/likes (which you don't know what they even are). My opinion is to get a PSA rifle...you can get a full rifle with keymod hand guard for $700 or less, and shoot the shizat out of it. Another option is the M&P (which is less customizable due to the fixed front sight). Use the extra money for a reloading setup (so you can shoot more for the rest-of-your-life). Spend the excess on powder, bullets, and primers.

After many thousands of rounds costing you less than 20 cents each to shoot, you may feel that there is something more that you desire in a rifle...or you will realize, as I did, that you want to keep on cranking with the rifle that you know best and only tweak it a little (new grip, stock, and a cheap red-dot with flip-up back-up sights...for me). You'll have saved a bunch of $$ by reloading yourself. Don't drop 1200 on what someone else thinks that you need, because it's what they need.

Interests change, and a year from now when you've only put a couple hundred rounds through that rifle and want to get rid of it (new rifle, car problems, child on the way, etc.) you'll be lucky to get $600 for it.

KANER88

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    indianapolis
    I just bought myself a rifle on the exact same budget as you with relatively limited knowledge (this was only my 4th ar). I found a decent buy on a build
    -Spikes upper
    -Anderson lower
    -nickel boron bcg
    -Midwest industries rail (looks a lot like the guy with the BCM rifle)
    -Midwest industries back up sights
    -Magpul stock and grip
    -All of this was $800 and I found a brand new (legit) Eotech for $300. so I ended up with a pretty sweet rifle for $1100.

sdtech58

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Z'ville
    If I had $1200 I'd buy the cheapest colt 6920 I could find then burn the rest on mags and ammo.

Ditto. About $800 or so for the Colt, about 15 mags and a case of cheap ammo. If HRC wins and things get really stupid again, you could probably sell off a few mags to buy an optic.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    The PST is a nice scope with a lot of features. Definitely a great bang for your buck. Make sure to look through the Steiner P4Xi before buying either. They're right in line price wise, and that Steiner is pretty dang nice as well.

Heck, may as well look at the PST, P4Xi, VX-R, and Accupower. They're all within $100 of eachother. Don't just buy what your buddy has. Make sure you actually fondle them and get what you like best. They're all nice.

I will probably end up going with Vortex, just because in talking to some of my friends they all really like them.

Last edited:

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    The PST is a nice scope with a lot of features. Definitely a great bang for your buck. Make sure to look through the Steiner P4Xi before buying either. They're right in line price wise, and that Steiner is pretty dang nice as well.

Heck, may as well look at the PST, P4Xi, VX-R, and Accupower. They're all within $100 of eachother. Don't just buy what your buddy has. Make sure you actually fondle them and get what you like best. They're all nice.

Yea I plan to actually look through them before buying to make sure it fits me basically.

Top Bottom