• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    So a friend of mine is all happy cuz a LEO ran her plates in the parking lot of her job and told her there's an issue with her DL and let her go ahead and drive home anyways. Seems he was patrolling the lot and checking plates.

Is that normal, legal, proper procedure?

Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome
    So a friend of mine is all happy cuz a LEO ran her plates in the parking lot of her job and told her there's an issue with her DL and let her go ahead and drive home anyways. Seems he was patrolling the lot and checking plates.

Yep.
    Your tax dollars at work.
    Feel safe now?

BTW, we need more of your property for more leos on the street.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Pretty sure it's not universally any of these. I distinctly recall a video of some locale to our west (Colorado, maybe?) wherein one of the officers was recording the license plates of all the vehicles parked in the vicinity of an event taking place. I think it was a pro-RKBA rally type thing (and the officer didn't like the point of the rally and was protesting by taking the license plate numbers, in a nutshell), but it's been a while and the details of the circumstances are fuzzy. What I do remember is one of the individuals confronting the LEO about the (il)legality of his actions, quoting chapter and verse from the state code.

That said, I have no idea what the status of such is for Indiana. You're welcome. :):

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    How did she find out? Was she with the car when he ran the plates? What kind of issue did she have with her license that the LEO would let the liability pass on to himself since he allowed her to drive?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pretty sure it's not universally any of these. I distinctly recall a video of some locale to our west (Colorado, maybe?) wherein one of the officers was recording the license plates of all the vehicles parked in the vicinity of an event taking place. I think it was a pro-RKBA rally type thing (and the officer didn't like the point of the rally and was protesting by taking the license plate numbers, in a nutshell), but it's been a while and the details of the circumstances are fuzzy. What I do remember is one of the individuals confronting the LEO about the (il)legality of his actions, quoting chapter and verse from the state code.

That said, I have no idea what the status of such is for Indiana. You're welcome. :):

I don't do parked cars unless there is an obvious issue, but I think it's not illegal in Indiana

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    How did she find out? Was she with the car when he ran the plates? What kind of issue did she have with her license that the LEO would let the liability pass on to himself since he allowed her to drive?

I'm pretty sure he ran the plates while she was at work and when she left work and went to her car he came up to her and told here there was an issue not sure the issue I'm assuming suspensuspended

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You can even randomly run the VIN if you like. I used to run the plates of cars around me all the time at red lights. Sometimes you get a stolen hit, warrant hit, plates don't match the car, etc.

What exactly do you think the harm is? If you're in public view, your whereabouts and identity certainly aren't private.

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    You can even randomly run the VIN if you like. I used to run the plates of cars around me all the time at red lights. Sometimes you get a stolen hit, warrant hit, plates don't match the car, etc.

What exactly do you think the harm is? If you're in public view, your whereabouts and identity certainly aren't private.

There's that if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear mindset.

I'm not a big fan of "fishing" and I see this as just that. I mean it's nothing to riot over but it just doesn't seem right, I feel like there's more important thing our LEO'S can be doing other than driving around parking lots running the plates.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    Here is a quick question. While it may be perfectly fine to run plates or VIN's, is it okay to run the registered owners name and DOB without a legitimate law enforcement reason?

Plus, how do you know if the registered owner is the one currently driving the vehicle?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Here is a quick question. While it may be perfectly fine to run plates or VIN's, is it okay to run the registered owners name and DOB without a legitimate law enforcement reason?

Plus, how do you know if the registered owner is the one currently driving the vehicle?

When you say "run," with what purpose? Most plates will automatically give back the registered owners BMV info.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

I'm not a big fan of "fishing" and I see this as just that. I mean it's nothing to riot over but it just doesn't seem right, I feel like there's more important thing our LEO'S can be doing other than driving around parking lots running the plates.

Like... catching people with warrants, finding stolen cars, finding missing people/runaways? What is the "more important thing(s)" that LEOs could be doing?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

It can be ran randomly, if that's what you're asking. No private data is gained when you run the name and DOB and you're querying government databases.

You can request a BMV photo and compare it to the driver if you can see them. Case law says you can stop based on the registered owner being the most likely driver, but must immediately end the stop once you know it isn't them. If the registered owner is a male and has a warrant, I can stop the car, but if the driver and sole occupant is a female once I get to the car the stop is over, no asking for ID, etc. If its a male who's the right race, appears to be the right age, etc. then I can get ID to verify.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Well since there's no private data revealed, nothing that is revealed is anything you can legally hide anyway.

If there are more important things to be done, he'd probably be doing them absent some specific complaint his brass told him to address. Police work isn't like assembly line work. It's more like a fire department. You need minimum coverage for a certain geographic area for what MIGHT happen that requires a rapid response. People rarely complain firefighters should be doing something else when they're sitting on their backsides playing video games because there's no fire.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Well since there's no private data revealed, nothing that is revealed is anything you can legally hide anyway.

If there are more important things to be done, he'd probably be doing them absent some specific complaint his brass told him to address. Police work isn't like assembly line work. It's more like a fire department. You need minimum coverage for a certain geographic area for what MIGHT happen that requires a rapid response. People rarely complain firefighters should be doing something else when they're sitting on their backsides playing video games because there's no fire.

Don't forget BBQ'ing..... and weightlifting, and crossfitting, and sleeping, and playing basketball. If I had known then what I do now. lol

Top Bottom