• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigdog25-06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Bloomfield, IN
    I was present for a conversation at the Little League field at my kids school, and a statement was made about the possibility of a "sociopath" appearing at a game (on school property). One of the parents said "well, that's why we keep (we'll call him 'Bill') Bill here: he's a police officer!" Well, Bill is a city police officer from a neighboring county, but lives in my kids school district. That's, more or less, the back-story.

The question I have is: is it legal/allowed for an off-duty (in street clothes) police officer to carry a concealed handgun on school property? I'm not so much concerned about jurisdiction, because I think I understand it for the most part.

A friend and I were discussing this at lunch the other day, and neither were sure at that time. Since then, my friend did a little research, and has gathered that it is only legal if the officer is acting in an official capacity. While I am agreeable with his findings, I would still like to hear from some of INGO's LEO's.

Please don't mistake this as me gripeing if an off-duty officer WAS carrying on school property: I would support it. Hell, I wish I could carry on school property, but being John Q. Public, I am not allowed. Sucks, because I spend A LOT of time at the school/school functions.

So, what say you, officers of INGO?

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    IC 35-47-9
    Chapter 9. Possession of Firearms on School Property and School Buses

<A name=IC35-47-9-1>IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
    (3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.
    <A name=IC35-47-9-2>IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.

The Indiana Code does not mention anything about the LEO being on duty.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I think your friend is right, only an on duty LEO can carry on school property, if I remember right. This was one part of LEOSA that did not get passed. It was in the Senate's bill but not the House's bill which is the one that became law.
    From Donnellys post it looks like I am mistaken.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Can you supply a source/reference to your answer?

Donnelly already has.

IC 35-47-9

Exemptions from chapter

law enforcement officer.

He does not stop being a "law enforcement officer" while off duty.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Can you supply a source/reference to your answer?

By the below quoted post. There is no definition to whether named federal, state, or local LEO is on duty or off. An LEO on duty is also an LEO off duty, only difference is they are getting paid while on duty.

IC 35-47-9

Exemptions from chapter
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
    (3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.
    <A name=IC35-47-9-2>IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    By the below quoted post. There is no definition to whether named federal, state, or local LEO is on duty or off. An LEO on duty is also an LEO off duty, only difference is they are getting paid while on duty.

So, even while off duty, are LEO's still allowed and encouraged to make arrests, issue tickets, etc.?

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    So, even while off duty, are LEO's still allowed and encouraged to make arrests, issue tickets, etc.?

Write everyday tickets, from what I gather from my LEO friends, no not while off duty. Encouraged to prevent bodily harm to citizens, yes. Call it in and do what is necessary until uniforms arrive.
    Not mandatory, but is encouraged.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township

See below.

Write everyday tickets, from what I gather from my LEO friends, no not while off duty. Encouraged to prevent bodily harm to citizens, yes. Call it in and do what is necessary until uniforms arrive.

This.^^

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County

Your saying that officers off duty in marked cars can't stop someone and issue a ticket anymore? If so, when did it change? I believe they still can issue a ticket off duty if they want.

Last edited:

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Your saying that officers off duty in marked cars can't stop someone and issue a ticket anymore? If so, when did it change? I believe they still can issue a ticket off duty if they want.

Key word was encouraged. From what I gather from conversations they are not encouraged to make every day traffic stops and write tickets while off duty. Can they do it, yes. Will they do it, yes if they deem the infraction severe enough. Are they encouraged to, again back to the conversation thing and the answer I gather is no.

I'm not an LEO, I am someone that has several friends dating all the way back to elementary school that have become LEO's in various departments around the State.

Back to the original content of the thread, off duty LEO's generally carry a sidearm somewhere on their person at all times. Be it in an ankle holster, fanny pack, IWB or OWB and the ones I know all carry concealed off duty.

Top Bottom