• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    I searched for a bit, probably not as long as I could have, but I couldn't find anything one way or the other.

Question is, are there any types of ammunition that is illegal to carry in Indiana? Like hollow-point or tracer rounds? Or any of those crazy incendiary rounds or what have you?

Just curious. So I know what I can buy for protection.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I searched for a bit, probably not as long as I could have, but I couldn't find anything one way or the other.

Question is, are there any types of ammunition that is illegal to carry in Indiana? Like hollow-point or tracer rounds? Or any of those crazy incendiary rounds or what have you?

Just curious. So I know what I can buy for protection.

I asked this same question not long ago and the answer is.. Nope carry what ya want. As long as its not armor piercing...

Devastator Ammunition

Last edited:

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    IC 35-47-5-11
    "Armor-piercing handgun ammunition" defined; related offenses
    Sec. 11. (a) As used in this section, "armor-piercing handgun ammunition" means a cartridge that:
    (1) can be fired in a handgun; and
    (2) will, upon firing, expel a projectile that has a metal core and an outer coating of plastic.
    (b) A person who knowingly or intentionally:
    (1) manufactures;
    (2) possesses;
    (3) transfers possession of; or
    (4) offers to transfer possession of;
    armor-piercing handgun ammunition commits a Class C felony.
    (c) This section does not apply to nylon coated ammunition, plastic shot capsules, or ammunition designed to be used in rifles or shotguns.
    (d) This section does not apply to a law enforcement officer who is acting in the course of the officer's official duties or to a person who manufactures or imports for sale or sells armor-piercing handgun ammunition to a law enforcement agency.
    As added by P.L.332-1983, SEC.1. Amended by P.L.327-1987, SEC.2.
    :patriot:

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    IC 35-47-5-11
    "Armor-piercing handgun ammunition" defined; related offenses
    Sec. 11. (a) As used in this section, "armor-piercing handgun ammunition" means a cartridge that:
    (1) can be fired in a handgun; and
    (2) will, upon firing, expel a projectile that has a metal core and an outer coating of plastic.
    (b) A person who knowingly or intentionally:
    (1) manufactures;
    (2) possesses;
    (3) transfers possession of; or
    (4) offers to transfer possession of;
    armor-piercing handgun ammunition commits a Class C felony.
    (c) This section does not apply to nylon coated ammunition, plastic shot capsules, or ammunition designed to be used in rifles or shotguns.
    (d) This section does not apply to a law enforcement officer who is acting in the course of the officer's official duties or to a person who manufactures or imports for sale or sells armor-piercing handgun ammunition to a law enforcement agency.
    As added by P.L.332-1983, SEC.1. Amended by P.L.327-1987, SEC.2.
    :patriot:

That's good to know thank you. I never considered armor piercing ammo at handgun velocities.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Good info to know. While I doubt I'll be using the Devastator stuff, at least off the bat, I'll probably get whatever the Police use. You know... that way if I shoot someone dead, they can't claim I used over-bearing force.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Just wondering, what do police around here carry? Obviously, JHP but what brand?

IMPD carried Federal Tactical, last I checked.
    40-SW-165GRT-3.jpg

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    From what I have seen, the IMPD I think carries the Bonded Federal Tactical stuff (165gr ?). Sort of looks like the Hi-shok (not Hydoshock), but with a nickel case.

I also have seen TONS of American Eagle 55gr FMJ for possibly patrol rifle use. Do they issue a different ammo for carry in those rifles? (if not, M193 is still okay! :D).

Top Bottom