• ...and so much more!
  • mydoghasfleas

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Undisclosed
    not law but wise to do, get a bill of sale with name and address of buyer

What about a seller that is a criminal. You just bought from him, and he has your name and address. Kinda defeats the point of meeting somwhere other than the owners home to do the transaction. IN. Driver/ LTCH and thats it. If some stranger wants my name and address to buy thier stuff, I will pass.:twocents:

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    I know it's an IL thing but there you are required to keep some sort of record, whether BoS or something else for a period of 10 years that had manufacturer, model #, s/n, date and name of buyer

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    As a private seller you have no way to know anyway, so I would say you are not liable unless you KNEW he was a criminal and decided to sell him the gun anyway.
    Private sales are based on trust, if he says he can legally own a gun then you either trust him or you dont.You cant be sure since there is no legal duty to perfom a criminal background check on the buyer like a FFL dealer has.
    Some people ask for a DL and LTCH but they could be fake ones, and a criminal would still have a DL and could even have a real LTCH if he became a criminal after he got it.
    So you have no way to know, therefore I dont see how you could be liable in any way.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    i asked a good friend of mine that is a delaware county deputy the same question and he told me that if i sell a gun i am responsible for it if its used in a crime if i sold it to a criminal.
    not fact. just what i was told.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Criminals have a secret handshake so they can identify each other. This knowledge is never passed on to the general law-abiding public.

They also have a "c" tatooed under their testicles. You have to look for it.

So if you sell to a criminal, there is no excuse for doing so if you just take a minute to look for the "c".

If you sell a car to somebody and they later use the car in a crime, you are responsible for that too.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    i asked a good friend of mine that is a delaware county deputy the same question and he told me that if i sell a gun i am responsible for it if its used in a crime if i sold it to a criminal.

Well, I'm glad he is just a deputy and not the prosecuting attorney for Delaware county.

Cops are not lawyers.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County

My understanding is that since you are selling a weapon you are responsible for performing a certain level of due diligence. And checking D/L and LTCH should pretty much cover that. If you don't want to write out a bill of sale, remember the individual's name and address and write it down after he/she has left. You sold the gun and if the fool that bought it commits a crime with it you have no allegiance to him and you shouldn't be held responsible. So if the buyer commits a crime with it or sells it willynilly to a scumbag criminal, you should be able to see that the poop runs downhill to the no good SOB that broke the law with what used to be your gun and let him deal with the heat.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Criminals have a secret handshake so they can identify each other. This knowledge is never passed on to the general law-abiding public.

They also have a "c" tatooed under their testicles. You have to look for it.

So if you sell to a criminal, there is no excuse for doing so if you just take a minute to look for the "c".

If you sell a car to somebody and they later use the car in a crime, you are responsible for that too.

:laugh:

What about females criminals?
    Is it in the same general area? :dunno:
    Because I may take my time to look for that "C". :D

"Ma'am im sorry but I have to check to make sure, this is the law." :cool:

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN

I would recommend your friend study for the lsat and go to law school if he is going to dispense advice. Especially bad advice. :)

Bert

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Shelbyville
    My understanding is that since you are selling a weapon you are responsible for performing a certain level of due diligence. And checking D/L and LTCH should pretty much cover that. If you don't want to write out a bill of sale, remember the individual's name and address and write it down after he/she has left. You sold the gun and if the fool that bought it commits a crime with it you have no allegiance to him and you shouldn't be held responsible. So if the buyer commits a crime with it or sells it willynilly to a scumbag criminal, you should be able to see that the poop runs downhill to the no good SOB that broke the law with what used to be your gun and let him deal with the heat.
    knives are weapons , I've seen what a ball bat can do also . women drivers qualify too . do we have to check for a LTCH ?

armyvet209

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    LAKE COUNTY
    not gonna be held liable, private citizen has no way to know if buyer is a scumbag, and you dont have to check for a ltch, as you would have no idea if the buyer was going to carry it.

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    If in doubt don't sell it to the person. At one time the private sale of handguns had to be reported to the local police as well as the state police and a copy kept by the seller. These were state forms. The pivotal point is whether you had prior knowledge about the buyer having a criminal record that would prevent him/her from purchasing a firearm. The advise sent to even FFL's is if you don't feel comfortable, refuse the sale or transfer.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom