• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92FS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Phoenix
    I ordered Lee dies for 9mm and 380 from MidwayUSA the end of May. Of course they were out of stock but accepting backorders. Originally they were expected to ship the middle of June and first part of July. As the weeks went by the expected delivery date continued to push farther and farther into the future. When the expected delivery dates reached August and September I decided I didn't want to wait that long.

So I went to the Lee web site and ordered the dies directly from the factory. They said that their normal delivery time was 2 weeks but because of the high demand they said not to contact them about the order until at least 4 weeks had gone by. Well, even 4 weeks would be quicker than August and September, I said to myself.

Imagine my suprise when I arrived home from work Friday afternoon. It didn't take 4 weeks, it only took 4 days!!! The dies were the last piece of my reloading puzzle so it's off to the workroom I go to get some reloading done!

Oh, and like most things in life, there are tradeoffs. Speed vs Cost. Price from Midway with shipping, about $89. Price direct from Lee with shipping, about $123. It was worth it to me to spend the extra $34 and have the dies in 4 days instead of waiting until Midway could ship them - who knows when. Oh, and by the way when I went into Midway to cancel the backorders. One of the expected arrival dates had slipped to the end of October!

So, the moral of the story is: if you're wanting Lee dies, and you can't find them anywhere, and you can afford the price, they are available at the factory site, Lee Precision, Inc. Reloading Tools and Equipment, for a price.

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    I've had a few similar experiences with Midway this year. Their prices are outstanding, but there are sometimes issues with backorders taking forever. I just cancelled part of an order for a first aid kit that was backordered until around the first of August, because I found the kit direct with a 5-day UPS ground delivery. It's on the way, even though I paid $20 more than it would have been at Midway.

I am in no way bashing Midway, because I like them a lot and shop there often. I'm just pointing out that if Midway doesn't have it in stock, it can sometimes be better or necessary to pay a little extra to get it from the manufacturer much sooner.
    :twocents:

Last edited:

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    +1 for Lee....

:+1:

I have had nothing but positive relations w/ Lee, especially their customer sevice. They sent me 2 decapping pins, no charge when I broke one in my .223 dies even though it was due to undersized flash holes in the surplus brass.

I also broke the priming lever on the Lee auto prime once, 2 days later, a new one in the mail......

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    That's Strange

I ordered 9mm Lee dies from Midway about a month ago and got them in about 4 days. Maybe they don't like you LOL:dunno:

Raye7r

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2009
    Parke County
    Mine (9mm) was on backorder from Midway too, but came in 5 days. Midway impressed me with their pricing, not only on the dies. Gander Mtn wanted 50 bucks for mag for Sigma, 41 from S&W, 33 at Midway.

gun_nut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Haubstadt. IN
    it took me 16 weeks to get 223 dies from Lee --- when they came in the threads were galled on the decapping die. I sent them back (after I was told that defects and warranty problems got priority attention) -- so far it has been 7 weeks and still no 223 dies. Not a happy camper here :xmad:

GN :ar15:

Top Bottom