• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Miller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2024
    Indiana
    I recently saw an article on the WBIW website about Welding training. It's through Wagler Education.
    I called and it's usually free to someone without a college education.
    $3k if you don't qualify for the no-cost option.
    They have an agreement with (??) that those that earn certification are allowed to join the Union.

April class is full. Lots of interest in the June class.
    She recommend filling out the form online if interested.
    also list CDL, CNC, CNA, EMT, and Bus Driving.
    I don't know anything about Wagler other than the info above.
    Hope it's ok to post that info here. I think I remember a younger guy asking about employment options not long ago.
    Maybe this info will benefit someone.

Also... does anyone know of other welding training in the Lawrence/Jackson Co area?
    I'm not sure I want to pay $3K for what will be personal/hobby welding.
    I guess that there is potential to do some welding as a side gig, but don't really have the time for that currently.

Thanks
    If you're new to welding, Harbor Frieght actually has a very decent welder in there Vulcan line. It's pretty darn cheap, is completely gasless and honestly for the price is not a bad welder at all. Not sure what exactly your looking to weld together, you probably won't be laying down dimes with it, but if your looking for something to fix random things on the farm or anything of that nature it would work well.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Years ago at work we had a big job making some giant cages to be used in a photo shoot. Most of it was welding 1/2 or 3/4 square tubing to a flat plate 1/4 thick. We were short on experienced welders so a half dozen carpenters were given a quick walk through and went about "welding" these cages with a hobart mig. They survived the shoot and afterwards it was easier for me to put pressure on the tubing and snap the "weld" than cut it with a portaband. Some of the welds just looked beautiful. I still work with a few of those guys and although they have not "welded" since that job many years ago still consider themselves competent welders. I really caution anyone not getting professional instruction from welding anything that may cause injury if it fails.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    The first thing I was taught was testing welds. Had to weld a pad and cut it up to check for defects. Then had all my welds bent for a while. I welded as a hobby for over 35 years before welding professionally. After my first job on the clock a boss came up and told me I was now officially a professional welder. There is always more to learn.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This is my son testing our home set up when we first got it...and yes, he knows better than to wear a hoodie.

This showed one of the problems with being tall, we are both 6'3", and buying a welding table from the short people in China. I pointed the camera at him and had my head turned and eyes closed. I have my own welding hood now. I learned my lesson. When I was about 23 working at a car dealership, I was helping out the body guy who was welding a cut in the floor of a truck and he told me- don't look, turn you head and close your eyes as I was holding the carpet out of the way. I did none of those things. I watched him MIG weld the floor pan with no protection whatsoever. My eyes felt dry when I got home and at 2am I awoke with severe pain and not being able to see. ER visit and 2 days with my eyes covered other than getting steroid drops followed by a week of wearing very dark sunglasses every....like a douche. Like I said. I learned my lesson.

home.png

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Ivy Tech as did destruct testing. It's no cakewalk. I was very frustrated but finally got my head out of my arse. It didn't help we did it in July in a non-A/C building after work since my job had classically trained Hobart schooled welders and us millwrights were not allowed to weld. That all changed with a contract change. Had to pass the classes.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My son's school started as a weld test/welder certification place.

Then, after years of that, decided to start a school. As you can imagine, the standards are pretty high. Their entire reputation is resting on mostly young guys.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    This is my son testing our home set up when we first got it...and yes, he knows better than to wear a hoodie.

This showed one of the problems with being tall, we are both 6'3", and buying a welding table from the short people in China. I pointed the camera at him and had my head turned and eyes closed. I have my own welding hood now. I learned my lesson. When I was about 23 working at a car dealership, I was helping out the body guy who was welding a cut in the floor of a truck and he told me- don't look, turn you head and close your eyes as I was holding the carpet out of the way. I did none of those things. I watched him MIG weld the floor pan with no protection whatsoever. My eyes felt dry when I got home and at 2am I awoke with severe pain and not being able to see. ER visit and 2 days with my eyes covered other than getting steroid drops followed by a week of wearing very dark sunglasses every....like a douche. Like I said. I learned my lesson.

View attachment 339948
    In the 25 plus years I've welded, I've never gotten weld flash, The fact that my Dad was a welder/ machinist, and drilled into me "don't look at the weld",and "You can get weld flash from the side too" really helped, plus ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS wearing safety glasses helped...If I took my glasses off to clean, or wipe sweat, my eyes were closed. YMMV

Top Bottom