• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    About a week ago there was a traffic accident down the block from me. My 93 yo mom with dementia and I were both in bed and asleep, not one light on in the house but car in driveway. I am sound asleep and awakened by someone pounding on my front door with the bottom of their fist. I have a doorbell but did not hear it ring. My mom was awakened first and was at the front door asking who was at the door and about to open it. I am full of adrenaline I yell at my mom to get away from the door and come back up the stairs to the bedroom level. The guy keeps pounding with his fist. With my mom safely out of the way I ask who it is and what he wants, I am mad and aggressive and my voice clearly shows it. He identifies himself verbally as county sheriff and wants to look at my security cam footage. I then see lights on the road and calm down. I tell him to wait until I open the door for him and I go to throw clothes on and disarm. Now he is shining a flashlight looking at stickers my mom had on the window from supporting the sheriffs and fire depts. I yell at him to turn the flashlight off. A minute or so later I let him in. My mom is at her bedroom door scared and he is looking all over the place like he is casing the place. I go to get my PC to show him the cameras and for a second it looked like he was going to follow me. I told him to wait where he was, I get the computer, show him that there was nothing that could help him, and sent him on his way.

In the past several years the county sheriff has been called to our house several times. My mom has been the target of scumbag neighbors, fake religious scammers, a guy posing as a contractor who came in the house and robbed her, and a few other miscreants looking to pull something on her. The sheriff has been beyond useless, to the point of when she was robbed they didn't even convert the incident report to a police report, he had tried to get into a locked room and they would not check the knob for prints.

So now about this latest thing, maybe I am over reacting. I would expect under the circumstances that long after dark they would have politely knocked with their knuckles rather than banging with their fist. I would expected that with all the lights off they would have maybe come back during the day after a polite knock did not get a response. I don't know if they rang the doorbell so there is that. When I was already clearly pissed did he really need to shine a flashlight into the house and then clearly look around at everything after I let him in?

How do you cops typically handle approaching a house with no lights on in the country after dark when you are not looking for someone or something specific in that house that you are suspicious of?

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Why is every conversation about LE's like this:

"These darn officers here are so useless, they won't even investigate anything! And also, can you imagine the nerve of those officers coming on to my property to investigate something!?!?"

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    A similar thing happened to me several years ago.

A pair of perps robbed the Nora Kroger and they jumped into a car and sped southbound down Westfield blvd chased by leos and crashed at the first curve near my street overturning the car. The driver was trapped but the woman accomplice escaped and ran through my neighborhood.

At 3:36am I saw white light illuminating my blinds, I peeked out a window to see a 1/2 dozen people with flashlights running through my yard towards my house. I was a little freaked and a moment later there was pounding on my front storm door (locked). I had my Browning in my pocket with my hand on it and went to the side of my front door flipped on the entry light and yelled "who's there?". The response was sheriffs department. I opened the inside door and they told me they were searching for someone and asked to come in to look for them. I told them there's no one here but me but they were welcome to check (my house is fully alarmed with door and glass break detectors). I agreed to let them in and an officer stepped into my living room, shined his flashlight around the room and floor and finding no bloody footprints. He thanked me and asked me if I'd seen anyone at my door, I replied no. He explained they were looking for a black woman 4 foot something that had run through my yard leaving a trail of bloody footprints in my lawn and led to my front door. Apparently she had tried to gain entrance to my house to hide but could not open the storm door and continued down the street.

They found her in the morning around first light hiding in a neighbor's unlocked new Honda bleeding and arrested her.
    1712078813412.png 1712078837971.png

Many units along Westfield blvd.
    1712078861047.png 1712078873388.png

Last edited:

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    So, did viewing the security cam footage in the middle of the night make a vast difference in their response versus seeing it in the morning? Just curious.
    They already had parts of the missing vehicle that would have identified the make, model and color. They also knew what type of vehicle it was from witnesses. My motion zones avoid the road so they would not have been activated. I heard them decline accident reenactment over the cops radio

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Why is every conversation about LE's like this:

"These darn officers here are so useless, they won't even investigate anything! And also, can you imagine the nerve of those officers coming on to my property to investigate something!?!?"
    Maybe my post was too vague, I was not against them knocking on my door in a civilized manor, I was offended by the way the officer behaved. I started the thread to find out if other LE felt that his behavior was appropriate. Maybe my anger was misplaced and that is just how cops are taught to behave.

Nevertheless their responses when my mother has been wronged has been not in any way helpful

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I would be extremely pissed if someone beat on my door in the middle of the day, not to mention waking me up in the wee hours of the morning. Unless one of my neighbors or myself and wife were harmed by whoever the police are after, I’d most likely let a few EFF yous and EFF offs fly and slam the door.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I always try to be polite and accommodating to LE when they’re around. I’m sure they don’t want to be banging on my door any more than I want them to. I live near Broadripple, which has become quite the hotspot.

If there are that many units in close proximity to my property, there’s usually a pretty good reason. I would rather they come to my door and check on me and my property than the alternative of the perps entering my property first, and/or they’re already there and I don’t know it yet.

Last edited:

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    So, did viewing the security cam footage in the middle of the night make a vast difference in their response versus seeing it in the morning? Just curious.

It depends on what exactly happened with the crash mentioned by the OP. If it was a hit and run where someone ran from a vehicle or there is the possibility of the camera getting a view of the plates, it could mean a lot to see any footage of the area as soon as possible. The difference between seeing security footage at night and seeing it in the morning if it is my call (and my case), is I don't work in the morning. I'm probably going to have to bother the person again the following night unless I can get them to email me the video.

Maybe my post was too vague, I was not against them knocking on my door in a civilized manor, I was offended by the way the officer behaved. I started the thread to find out if other LE felt that his behavior was appropriate. Maybe my anger was misplaced and that is just how cops are taught to behave.

Nevertheless their responses when my mother has been wronged has been not in any way helpful

I would normally knock lightly at first, possibly ring the doorbell if there is one... especially if all I'm doing is asking to see if your cameras might have caught a crash. I know younger officers tend to get overly excitred about every mundane thing, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Top Bottom