• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    This is a letter from my kids school what do u think.

October 28, 2014 Dear Parents: Along with high-*‐quality instruction, student safety is our highest priority. Each day we strive to ensure that all students are safe and secure. Today, at about 3:30 p.m., we learned that a Kouts Middle School student may have violated our safety requirements. It was reported to the Kouts Police Department that a student may have had a firearm and knife at school today. Through quick action from the Kouts administration and the Kouts Police Department, the Kouts Middle School student in question was apprehended. The student reported to the Kouts Police Department that over the weekend the student visited a friend␣s house where they were shooting at targets with a bb gun. The student did not report that it was necessary to bring the bb gun to school because of threatening conditions. When the Kouts Police interviewed the student, the student was found to be in possession of a pocket knife on school grounds. Indiana law does not permit the possession by students of any type of firearm, including a bb gun. The same is true for a pocket knife. While some may view possession of a bb gun and a pocket knife as inconsequential, we take a strong stand on the possession of any object that can cause injury to others. The student in question will not be returning to school pending disciplinary action. Indiana law requires that students in possession of a firearm be expelled for 365 calendar days. We will continue to work with school corporation legal advisors to ensure that the student␣s rights are respected while the rights of the students still in school are protected. Sincerely, Dr. Rod Gardin Superintendent

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    BB guns are not firearms, so that whole part of the letter in invalid.

Unfortunately for the student, the knife part is mostly correct.

I hope the kid's parents can afford a lawyer.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    While some may view possession of a bb gun and a pocket knife as inconsequential, ...

Well, that part was 100% accurate. The simple possession of those things reminds me of my school days. When the "Dukes of Hazard" got popular, we all started carrying lockback knives in leather sheaths...and that was in about the 5th grade. As for the BB gun, I think the most that would have gotten you was a "take it to the office and you can pick it up at the end of the day" or if you road the bus "your Mom and Dad will have to come get it."

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Jeez -
    We made throwing stars in metalshop and smokin pipes in woodshop..........Who didn't carry a knife back then?

Schools are now filled with Wussies! :xmad:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The student did not report that it was necessary to bring the bb gun to school because of threatening conditions.

Shouldn't we expect letters home from our schools to reflect the high standards to which they proclaim to aspire?

Did the kid bring a BB gun to school or not?

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    This is what got me so pissed off. Along with high-*‐quality instruction, student safety is our highest priority. Each day we strive to ensure that all students are safe and secure. Today, at about 3:30 p.m., The first sentence says how they want to make sure kids are safe while disarming everyone that could protect them at the school. And then it says they caught the kid at 330pm. Well if he had wanted to go on a killing spree he had all day to do it so what the heck. This shows they can not stop the kids from bringing weapons and they have no way of stopping a actual threat.
    I personally don't know what happen with the knife. If the kid just had it who cares. If he pulled it out on another kid then he should get in trouble for threatening.

snafu21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    we take a strong stand on the possession of any object that can cause injury to others

So, there is no longer pencils, pens, books, rulers, backpacks with straps, belts, or any other object that could possibly be used to stab, strangle, or suffocate another person allowed in school?

Back in the day, it was common for all us males and some females to have a pocket knife on us. Shoot, my shop teacher even borrowed mine more than once because he would frequently forget his.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I got called by the school for my son's pocket knife when he was in first grade I think. He had gotten a swiss army knife for Christmas and was told not to take it to school. First day after Christmas break...it went to school and he showed it to a friend. He was out for three days I believe.

Another time, I got a call because he had an empty 22 shell in his pocket. The principal confiscated it and told me I could pick it up from him. I told him to keep it because my son had plenty more of those at home.

School have gotten quite ridiculous with their rules.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    He should have just said he was a muslim and the knife is part of his religon. The courts have already decided that is ok.

I cannot believe that is the kind of foolish, ignorant adults that are paid to be in control of our nations next generation.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    He should have just said he was a muslim and the knife is part of his religon. The courts have already decided that is ok.

I cannot believe that is the kind of foolish, ignorant adults that are paid to be in control of our nations next generation.

Sikhs are not Muslim, Muslims are not Sikhs.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    We really have a law on the books in this state that says this?
    Essentially, yes.
    Indiana General Assembly - 2014 Session

(d) Notwithstanding section 20 of this chapter, a student who is
    (1) identified as bringing a firearm or destructive device to
    school or on school property; or
    (2) in possession of a firearm or destructive device on school
    property;
    must be expelled for at least one (1) calendar year, with the return of
    the student to be at the beginning of the first school semester after the
    end of the one (1) year period.

Edit: also in that same section it defines a firearm as IC 35-47-1-5, which is:
    IC 35-47-1-5"Firearm"
    Sec. 5. "Firearm" means any weapon:
    (1) that is:
    (A) capable of expelling; or
    (B) designed to expel; or
    (2) that may readily be converted to expel;
    a projectile by means of an explosion.

Bb guns are springs and/or compressed gas (air), correct? So, not a firearm. Not that I would expect a school administrator to have ANY idea about the laws pertaining to schools. :rolleyes:

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    When the Kouts Police interviewed the student, the student was found to be in possession of a pocket knife on school grounds.
    Did he bring the BB gun to school or not. If not the IC stated does not apply. I don't see how the school can punish him for shooting a BB gun at a friends house.
    The letter from the school was poorly written.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Sikhs are not Muslim, Muslims are not Sikhs.

EXACTLY. And they couldnt be any more different. While the Quoran advocates violence against non-believers*, the Sikh faith is a pacifist, peaceful religion.

*Please notice I said the Quoran advocates it, not the Muslim faith as many muslims disregard this call to violence much like christians disregard the violent parts of the old testament.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    Doesn't the no knives at school law say something like "used to stab, cut, rip & used as a weapon"?

So the knife I have in my pocket that I will use to open a box is OK, but the screw driver I have in a pocket that I'm going to stab you with in not OK. (No I'm not going to stab anyone).

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    EXACTLY. And they couldnt be any more different. While the Quoran advocates violence against non-believers*, the Sikh faith is a pacifist, peaceful religion.

*Please notice I said the Quoran advocates it, not the Muslim faith as many muslims disregard this call to violence much like christians disregard the violent parts of the old testament.

Thanks for the correction and the opinions on world religions. I was sloppy in making my point about the folly of the government and public education.

Top Bottom