• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    A cartridge with a long and flexible history, it begins in Colt Richards cartridge conversions like the old revolver in the top of the photo, using the cartridge on the left. It uses a heeled bullet to allow it to both fit in what was an 1860 sized cylinder, but sized at .454 to allow it to fit what was an 1860 barrel. The rim is smaller than say a 44 special, Russian or Magnum, but the cartridge diameter is the same.

Fast forward to modern times and Cimmarron starts importing Richard conversion copies. There are different versions of these to be aware of. Early ASM guns, the long barreled revolver in the picture, actually need the 44 Colt case to work, but the barrels are .429, the modern diameter of this family, and do not used a heeled bullet. The cartridge in the middle is the 44 Colt case with a cast .430 lead bullet installed just like any other.

Later Cimmarron imports like the Uberti on the left dispense with the requirement for the 44 Colt and will take Russian or Specials, you can put 44 Colt ammo in these guns if you want.

The cartridge on the right is a 44 Special. colt44.jpg

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Thoughts on the Cimarron imports?

I've got a desire for one of their topless models. :):
    I have some, they have all been solid shooters. Of the suppliers to Cimmarron, ASM made what I think were the best looking and closest replicas of the conversions, but they aren't around anymore.

Here's a comparison of an earlier ASM gun and a more recent Uberti. Not taking anything away from the Uberti, but the ASM has small details like better wood to metal fit, brass sights, nickel plating on the trigger guard that I like.

ubvsasm.jpg

Top Bottom