• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    So how do you get yours "hair shaving" sharp?

I figure you guys know about how they are made, you gotta be experts and keeping them razor sharp too.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I use paper wheels to sharpen and maintain all my knives and they will all push cut free hanging newspaper, even my 1/4" thick blades. if I want an exact or custom re profile then I use an edge pro. belt sander for convexing.

bigkahunasix

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Sharpmaker by Spyderco
    Various natural and composite stones
    DMT diamond bench plates
    Edgepro
    2x72 belt grinder for convexing
    leather strops with either cromium oxide, jewlers rough, diamond paste/spray

Do not like and will not use paper wheels, speed does not equal quality.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    I saw that Sharpmaker in some youtube vids today, think I need to add that to my "must have" SHTF list.

the sharpmakers are EXCELLENT.

knives are easiest sharpened when MAINTAINED. ie: don't let them get really dull. its best to strope them after a day of use (not everytime you use it, but if you have used it some strope it). take an old leather belt and do an even number of passes... left, right, left, right, left, right, ect ect...... about 12-18 times.... some people use compound, but i don't... personal prefence i suppose....

the easiest, fastest, and most common way for a maker to sharpen is via a belt grinder (same way we make em!). slack belt or platen.... slack belt gives you a wonderful convex edge.... i go from 120 to 220 to 320 to 400...... nice polished edge, shaving sharp as you would ever need.

you can get a cheap 1x30 grinder to use just for sharpening.... hell,.... they usually cost about the same as a sharpmaker!! :laugh:

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    V-Sharp Pro - I've used it on everything from kitchen knives to combat knives. I've tried everything over the years and this is the best solution I have ever found. Had something like this been available years ago it would have saved me several hundred dollars and several hundred hours!

WH Warthog Professional Knife Sharpener | Precision Knife Sharpener | Hunter Knife

I saw it used at the NRA Convention in Louisville but was still a little skeptical so I didn't buy one. After being frustrated by an electric sharpener that bit the dust, I said fugit and asked for one for X-mas. Haven't been disappointed yet.

bigkahunasix

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    SW Indiana
    My dislike of paper wheel stems from those morons who seem to set up at every gunshow, flea market and county fair. Most really know nothing about knife steel and just grind the crap out of them.

I have made a pretty good reputation by fixing those knives after they were "sharpened".

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    My dislike of paper wheel stems from those morons who seem to set up at every gunshow, flea market and county fair. Most really know nothing about knife steel and just grind the crap out of them.

I have made a pretty good reputation by fixing those knives after they were "sharpened".

fair enough. so your dislike for them comes from misuse more than the product?

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Can someone make some step by step vids or pics for us NOOBS?

I know there are a million on youtube, but as with everything some of those guys know nothing!!!

Jond

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Have you heard of the Scary Sharp system. This is just one link to this very popular sharpening method. Some companies sell the items but basically it is a sand paper on flat surface system. Done properly it takes only a few minutes. Googling "Scary Sharp" gets a bunch of links and videos. Good luck with your sharpening.

Dan's Shop: Sharpening with Scary Sharp

Top Bottom