• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    ...at least you go to attend scouts. We were too poor.
    I got to do a little bit as a webelos scout then a year in boy scouts before the troop closed up shop. By the time we found a new troop that actually did anything dana was dying down and dad was one of the first to leave. He got screwed over along with a few others in the first wave of guys and didn't get the schooling the others got and he found out the job market for 50y/o beat down men with no college wasn't the greatest...then we were too poor too. Luckily he's a good mechanic and ran a garage for a while but it still wasn't the old Dana money so no scouts.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

New knives from Kershaw 2024.

I like the Layup says it uses D2 steel. Is that decent steel for a edc/work knife?

Opening Action: Assisted with KVT ball bearings 《 I like their assisted opening knives.

I don't like folding edc knives much over 3" blades. This is 3.4" but willing to try it out if it's decent steel for intended abuse.

Edged Tools

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 16, 2022
    Ft Wayne

New knives from Kershaw 2024.

I like the Layup says it uses D2 steel. Is that decent steel for a edc/work knife?

Opening Action: Assisted with KVT ball bearings 《 I like their assisted opening knives.

I don't like folding edc knives much over 3" blades. This is 3.4" but willing to try it out if it's decent steel for intended abuse.
    D2 is a love/hate steel. Some love it, some hate it.

It's a decent steel for the entry level EDC. They work pretty well and do a decent job and keeping an edge. A lot of companies seem to be using it to also keep costs down on knives.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    This knife is going to be part of a kit / system that I eventually will be handing off to my son or grandson etc. Within the last year or so, I've been focusing more on what I want to hand down to my descendants and there's always something about a blued steel rifle and walnut stock that guys talk about the marks and dings on it that their grandfather / father / uncle or whoever put there on their adventures in life. Well I ended up buying a Winchester 70 Featherweight in 30-06 for an upcoming elk hunt. Part of that hunt is going to be a knife and I wanted something that would compliment the rifle and also be a fine piece of kit I could hand off to someone some day.

This knife is an LT Wright Camp Muk that was a special Christmas run for knifeconnection.com. Desert ironwood handle on blade and matching ferro rod, and leather sheath. On the day I got it, I made some small kindling and started a fire, made some feather sticks, and have been seeing some light duty use in the kitchen. Since then I've wet formed the sheath and then treated the leather. This blade will likely have some stories from an elk hunt this fall and some day I'll pass those stories along in a journal, with a rifle, and a knife. I'm incredibly happy with the blade shape and size of this knife. I can see this going on many hunting trips in the future.

Attachments

• 20231224_002148.jpg
      20231224_002148.jpg
      1.2 MB · Views: 13
    • 20231224_002159.jpg
      20231224_002159.jpg
      1.3 MB · Views: 14
    • 20231224_002213.jpg
      20231224_002213.jpg
    • 20231224_002224.jpg
      20231224_002224.jpg

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    This knife is going to be part of a kit / system that I eventually will be handing off to my son or grandson etc. Within the last year or so, I've been focusing more on what I want to hand down to my descendants and there's always something about a blued steel rifle and walnut stock that guys talk about the marks and dings on it that their grandfather / father / uncle or whoever put there on their adventures in life. Well I ended up buying a Winchester 70 Featherweight in 30-06 for an upcoming elk hunt. Part of that hunt is going to be a knife and I wanted something that would compliment the rifle and also be a fine piece of kit I could hand off to someone some day.

This knife is an LT Wright Camp Muk that was a special Christmas run for knifeconnection.com. Desert ironwood handle on blade and matching ferro rod, and leather sheath. On the day I got it, I made some small kindling and started a fire, made some feather sticks, and have been seeing some light duty use in the kitchen. Since then I've wet formed the sheath and then treated the leather. This blade will likely have some stories from an elk hunt this fall and some day I'll pass those stories along in a journal, with a rifle, and a knife. I'm incredibly happy with the blade shape and size of this knife. I can see this going on many hunting trips in the future.
    I like that set. It would be cool if they could design it where the rod slides into the knife and becomes part of the handle.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I like that set. It would be cool if they could design it where the rod slides into the knife and becomes part of the handle.
    If you're into that kind of setup one of my all time favorite knives is the "mora light my fire", before it became the "mora companion spark". That's a good solid knife that with a sheath and ferro rod weighs 4 oz. In my opinion it's one of the most underrated knives on the market. Don't get me wrong, you're not going to baton through a 4" oak log with it, but for normal knife use it's a fine piece of gear.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    A recent addition to the armory . . .
    1849 Rifleman's Knife, made by Cold Steel with 1085 high carbon steel blade. It's not a bayonet, but arguable the first fighting knife made for the U.S. military under contract versus swords and sabers.

A bit of history:
    Only 1000 of the original were made by Ames Mfg. Co. just after James Ames took over the company when his brother died. Designed by James Ames in 1848, managed to convince the War Department to buy some for mounted infantry (aka dragoons). However, they had low priority as Ames was inundated and backlogged with orders for cavalry sabers, and the War Department was seriously stuck on then concept of sabers for anyone on horseback. They were finally delivered in 1849 and they trickled into the hands of mounted infantry -- which used the horses to get to the battle, then dismounted to fight as infantry. Originals made by Ames are exceptionally rare, and those in decent condition sell for a small fortune. The mounted infantry, or dragoons, didn't care much for sabers which most didn't wear, but packed away on the horse, preferring a fighting knife or a revolver as a secondary weapon to their rifle.

It's a beast, but decently balanced in the hand. The blade is 12" long, 1-5/8" wide, and 1/4" thick with a 5-1/2" rosewood bird's head grip. Total length is 18" in the scabbard, which was designed to be worn on a mounted rider's utility belt. The blade's tang extends up completely into the grip.

1849 Rifleman's Knife.jpg

Next to an M9 bayonet in an M10 scabbard to show its huge size:

1849 Rifleman's Knife vs M9 Bayonet.jpg

You wouldn't want to be skewered with one. ;)

Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    image.jpeg Here are a few more from the case collection. I tend to pick my knives by color and jig patterns. Took many years to put these 4 together to match up as well as they do. None have been carried. All are the stockman pattern. The bottom knife has a standard shield that pays homage to a brand that case sold in the way back. This particular knife is under 3” and less than 300 were made i believe. The bolsters are pinched. End opposite the bail is factory engraved if you look closely.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom