• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midshark

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    MI
    I'm quite intrigued by the PF-9 by Kel Tec. I thought it would make a nice carry gun. Anybody have an opinion on them, good or bad, better choice then a P11?, etc.

bRAD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    i have owned one for about 1 1/2 years now and i love it. They are extremely slim and very easy to conceal. I feel much more comfortable with it than i did with a .380 or a .32 caliber pistol. They are especially nice for summer days when you are wearing light clothes and don't have an easy way to conceal a full sized pistol.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    There are several threads on INGO about them if you do a search. I had two and liked them both. I sold them when I bought my XD as I was able to carry the XD at least as easily as the PF-9.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Unless you are pocket carrying, I don't see an advantage of the PF-9 over the P11. The small thickness difference means nothing for concealing, but extra rounds are always good.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I have one. Prior to that, I had a Kel Tec P3AT in .380, just never felt comfortable with it.

I love that it's the size it is in that caliber, I love that it fits in my pocket as easily as the 380.

Downsides - I find it difficult to be especially accurate with it. The sights are pretty good, but the trigger pull is long and pretty heavy. I'm not a particularly good shot, at seven to ten yards - where I usually practice - I can shoot 1.5 inch groups with my CZ P01, my Ruger Mark III, and my 1911. With the PF9, I shoot four or five inch groups at that distance. Probably there are plenty of people who shoot much better with it than that. To me, it's definitely an up close and personal weapon.

It's not fun to shoot, but not unbearable. With my normal grip, my hand went numb, so to practice I modify my grip very slightly and it's not unpleasant now.

I recommend doing a "fluff and buff" if you don't know what's involved you can find it all over the web with a search. If you can't, I'll look it up and send you a link. It takes about an hour, but it's worth it. My PF9 has never had a malfunction. I have about 500 rounds through it. I use Golden Saber 124 grain +P for my carry load.

I just ordered a Don Hum JIT holster for it, I'll let you know how that works out.

sam2007

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    PF9

I think I have posted this info before, but I have used a PF9 for a couple of years and absolutely love it. I also own a 3AT, but it is just as easy to conceal and carry the PF9, so that it typically my first choice. The PF9 is very slim and seems to disappear in a IWB holster. While it may not be the most accurate handgun in my inventory, it is perfectfully acceptable for its intended purpose - close quarters defense. Further, I have tried to induce a failure by limp wristing this gun, etc, but it has been spot on reliable. Good gun, great price.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    The PF-9 is my daily CCW. With a tuckable IWB holster such as the Kholster, it's so comfortable and lightweight you forget about it. I am 180 lbs and don't dress baggy, yet it stays concealed at 4:00.

The DAO trigger does take getting used to. It's a long, long pull! It's a smooth pull though. When at the range, I am no marksman and I do have a problem aiming it well, but I am fairly new to handguns and more practice is necessary. It does kick, but I have to shoot like 200 rounds to get a sore finger if that helps. I have had a few misfeeds trying out various ammo types, but nothing to complain about and that was before I polished the feed ramp. Checking out the PF9 forums will help you steer clear of ammo that the gun doesn't like.

Like everyone agrees, this gun is for deep and easy concealment. It's just so nice and small :)

Top Bottom