• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Newb question....So can you keep a semi-auto pistol loaded with one in the chamber for a long period of time or should you unload each night.

I.e. Keeping a semi-auto loaded with full mag +1 and carrying it daily. Will it harm anything. Logic tells me no but I was wondering if the spring or firing mechanism is under tension or anything while keeping one in the pipe?
    Any difference for a strikerfired vs hammer either?

The idea is I don't want to put extra wear on by unchambering each night but I donlt want to harm anything if leaving it that way will harm it either. (Sorry been all revolvers, 10/22's, and shotguns prior to 2009)

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    What wears out a spring is not being kept tensed, but rather it traveling through it motions. I keep mine loaded pretty much all the time and have never had a problem. Keep in mind that glocks/xds/m&ps remain basically at half cock at all times and nothing wears out.

If you do like to unload frequently, make sure you do not chamber the same round a bunch of times. Eventually you will likely push the bullet back into the case which can cause it to fail to feed and can cause a significant pressure spike when it is fired.

Best,

Joe

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Think about this, you unload each night. One night you hear a crash downstairs. You verify your wife and children are not downstairs (if you have) and then you pick up your unloaded pistol, and fumble in the dark trying to find the mag, or load it, or... while there are footsteps on the stairs.

Keep it loaded. With hammer fired, if the hammer is down, there is no tension on the hammer spring. With a striker fired, most if not all do not tension the firing pin until the trigger is pulled. (note I said most)

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Thanks guys.
    So I'm good on the hammer fired gun, although I'm guitly of loading and unloading the same top two rounds about a dozen times each. AT least I rotated....
    For those concerned with the home safety part, I do keep the loaded mag in the gun (don't want to wear out the mag release either).

Anyway how about a Keltect P3at?
    Do those fall under "most" indykid or anyone else who knows?

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The P3AT has an internal hammer and is double action only. Since there is no external safety or decocker I am guessing that it is kept in the down position until the trigger is pulled.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Cops keep their guns loaded and carry them around for looooong periods of time. No worries.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I keep my P3AT loaded. 6+1

It won't shoot unless the hammer is pulled.

Don't STORE weapons loaded, though. For safety, your non-home defense weapons (everything that what you don't carry regularly) should be kept unloaded (in my opinion). I keep everything but my carry weapon unloaded and separate from the ammo.

Last edited:

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    I think you're underestimating the durability of most guns. These are metal parts, designed to be strong and reliable in the time of need, even through the repeated stresses of firing.

Other than possibly firing A LOT, with hot loads, I wouldn't worry about wearing out a gun, unless it was a rare valuable antique that was already worn significantly.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    As others have said. Springs etc, that are stationary for long periods of time will not wear. It's the action of cycling, or loading and unloading mags that wears parts. Just always remember it's loaded, and be safe. Also as others have stated, make sure you do not continually load the same round. It will over time push the round, into the casing and that's a bad situation.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I will only add that it must be inaccessible to unauthorized persons while you are sleeping.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I know your question has been answered, so here's a little story (without a plot) for you.
    My dad has kept his 1911 loaded, condition 3, since before Glocks existed. It's his home defense weapon (he doesn't carry it). He only shoots it every couple years and never "rests" the springs.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Any kids in the house? Thats cause enough to never keep a loaded gun around, yet alone chambered. :dunno:

If not, like me, id keep er loaded and ready to "rack and roll," but thats me and ive already been down that road so no need calling me out on having a paper weight on my nightstand. :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom