• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    I did not click on the link originally, I only read what OP linked to. I see where they state they just swap out the clusters with lower mileage. This is not as simple as they make it sound. Late model vehicles, not sure when this actually starts, require modules to be reprogrammed to match the vehicle. The cluster is one of these modules. To reprogram the shop must have the correct scanner, a subscription with the manufacturer to download the program and the training to complete the programming. Sometimes all you have to do is reenter the VIN but in later vehicles, the cluster must be reprogrammed. I imagine it can be hacked, everything has/will be. Yes, the Ferris Buellar reference was a joke, running the car in reverse never reduces the mileage, even with the mechanical clusters.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    On my Chevy 2003 2500DH gas and my GMC 2005 2500HD deisel, the cluster VIN does not need to match any computer for it to run and work. I had both of them rebuilt by a guy near New Castle.

Also on the trucks of that year the milage is only stored in the cluster, its not in any other computer on the truck.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    There are also intercept type devices that can be connected between the cluster and the ECU which will alter the number sent to the cluster. Easy enough to verify if you check the ECU, but I don't think that's on a regular car buyer's checklist for used cars.

I've often wondered too if the intercept devices fit the legal definition of "Odometer Tampering" since they don't actually do anything permanent.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    "A person may not—

(1) advertise for sale, sell, use, install, or have installed, a device that makes an odometer of a motor vehicle register a mileage different from the mileage the vehicle was driven, as registered by the odometer within the designed tolerance of the manufacturer of the odometer;

(2) disconnect, reset, alter, or have disconnected, reset, or altered, an odometer of a motor vehicle intending to change the mileage registered by the odometer;

(3) with intent to defraud, operate a motor vehicle on a street, road, or highway if the person knows that the odometer of the vehicle is disconnected or not operating; or

(4) conspire to violate this section or section 32704 or 32705 of this title [49 USCS § 32704 or 32705]."

49 USCS § 32703

Top Bottom