• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Wife and I kayaked the Chicago River last night through the heart of Chicago. Kayaking at night through a City was a new experience. The City is so light up it is easy to see on the river at night and the view from the seat of a kayak of the City at night was phenomenal. My wife wanted to go to Chicago for our 26th anniversary. Let me start by saying that my idea of going to the big City is a trip in to Morgantown. City's and I do not agree with each other. However, when I figured out that we could get in a kayak trip, at night while there, count me in.

I'd go again,......to kayak that is.

Dirty Steve

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    What was that thread a couple days ago about doing weird crap to interrupt their OODA Loop? That would do it.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I really wanted to take our kayaks, but it was just simpler to rent kayaks there. My wife did not want to ride all of the way up to Chicago in our truck and the more I thought about it I didn't really want our kayaks sitting in my truck in a parking garage. I'd post some pics if I could.

Dirty Steve

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    There are at least two companies that do guided trips. They have several, both day and night based on what you want to see and how long you want to go. One is Wateriders, the other is Urban Kayak. We actually just rented the yaks, after demonstrating proficiency and experience and learning what the guidelines for use on the river were (which "lanes" to stay in, etc...). The only downside for us was the distance. We are accustomed to cranking out 10 plus miles on flat water. (Just walked in the door this evening from 10 miles today on Patoka). The total length on the Chicago River was only about 2.0 miles. However, doing it at night and the amount of large boat traffic causes you to go slower and it's really about just seeing the City at night from the river. We were told that they were planning a 10 mile trip for next year that would start much farther up river and culminate in hitting the City at night. It was kind of a unique bucket list thing for us. I'd do it again.

Dirty Steve

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Thanks for posting this Steve. I really do not care for Chicago (or in general, cities, bars, watching sportsball games or the associated "scenes"), but I do like paddling.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Thanks for posting this Steve. I really do not care for Chicago (or in general, cities, bars, watching sportsball games or the associated "scenes"), but I do like paddling.

Thought I was the only one. Most people think I am crazy for not wanting to watch ball sports on TV and eat and drink myself to death.

Still haven't figured out why grown men run around in uniforms and play with balls.

Me and my boat on a river reeling in fish. That's the life.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    My wife was just telling me about this. I told her I saw a thread about it on INGO, but had not looked at it. Sounds pretty cool. I don't care much for big cities, especially if I can't carry, but my wife loves big cities, especially Chicago. Well, and New York, and Naples, and Rome....well she is Italian. Anyways, thanks for posting. Might have to check it out.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Thought I was the only one. Most people think I am crazy for not wanting to watch ball sports on TV and eat and drink myself to death.

Still haven't figured out why grown men run around in uniforms and play with balls.

Me and my boat on a river reeling in fish. That's the life.

I like being on the water and fishing for sure. I actually like playing games including football and basketball (though I have not played either in a while), but I don't get much out of watching professional sportsball. I don't much care for watching competitive shooting either, but I sure like to shoot. I don't like watching pro fishing either for that matter. I like doing stuff.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Pretty cool. Until you get run over by a barge or, heaven forbid, actually get some of the water on you. I worked in Chicago for years and let me tell you, I wouldn't let that water touch me, let alone get in a kayak on that river.
    Urr, I should add this is for the south branch, I don't know much about the north branch.

Top Bottom