• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    Well I took the plunge with a Pelican Pulse 100X Angler.

Photo1932.jpg

Got my feet wet in a strip pit down in Open county.

Photo1911.jpg

Clean deep water with lots of cover.

Photo1971.jpg

Lots and lots of eaten size Bluegills.

Photo200.jpg
    Photo2001.jpg

I love, it best thing since sliced bread.
    So much for the fun,
    As for the kayak, not so much. Take my comments as coming from a rank beginner.
    While I felt it was plenty stable enough and it move through the water well, tracking could be better. Although changing direction in a tight space was a cinch. The cockpit was small. There was where the problem arose, I couldn't get out with out getting my arse wet. I believe this was because of a combination of slick decking and lack of hand holds. Granted I have limited flexibility in my knees and to much gut.
    The rod holder on the front deck was of little use, to complicated and hard to reach. Fact is that I wonder if it is worth the extra money for the angler model? Glad I kept the receipt, I'm thinking of making some changes. When I do....another update..........Season the fillets with a little lemon pepper and butter. Quick flip on a hot grill.....:@ya:..........<>< Duce

xcalibur

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Looks like a good time. Almost bought a kayak but decided to stick with my old aluminum canoe. Its wide, light, and holds lots of gear.
    Nice bluegills by the way....

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I am no kayak expert. My theme for this summer is 40 years in a canoe, 40 minutes in a kayak. I love to fish and I am between boats right now but nonissue because where we live now there are a ton of fish in rivers, bogs and ponds where a big boat is useless.

After exactly 8 weeks of kayak ownership my outcome is totally different than yours. The main reason is because I got a sit on top version. I will be 50 next month and have a torn rotator cuff. Also a bad knee. I have researched kayaks for 2 years prior to buying. I went and spoke to a guy who lives upstream from me. Born and raised here, pro guide for fishing and hunting, he just turned 50. Also rents canoes and kayaks. The river we live on can go from 6" deep to class IV rapids. I don't want to whitewater I want to fish (and maybe hunt). He said what I expected. When you are fishing the rivers you are in and out of the boat so much you want sit on top.

Yesterday I went through a class III rapids with mine. I made it in one piece but I won't be doing that again until the river is higher and probably no fishing gear either. That was along with multiple class 2's and sand bars and crap.........had to get out plenty of times.

with a kayak and good water socks/shoes I have opened all kinds of water to me. I am going to buy waders or maybe even a dry suit and use these things from Ice out to first hard freeze. Plan to hunt from it too.

I found a brand called Crow Wing. I know the crow wing lake area and it is similar to where I live, same types of small lakes, bogs and streams. It is not ideal for rapids but hey, I am doing some every week in mine. What I decided was if I loved kayaks I could buy more so I decided to start small. 9' long and only 49 pounds. It loads in the truck and drags easy as hell, both on the ground or through a stretch of skinny water. I even run errands with one in the back of the truck then fish on my way home. I will go downstream fishing and paddle back upstream no problem. I will wade upstream with it in tow no problem. I can put two of them and a dog box in back and I have a topper. I can tie down in 30 seconds with one ratchet strap. No roof racks, just load and go.

That is what you need too. Take yours back, do more research, buy this winter. If you decide to do that I can tell you the good and bad about mine as an FYI.

Top Bottom