• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mpluers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    As previosuly mentioned, I purchased a PM9 from Impact Guns last Tuesday. It arrived at KS&E on Friday.

I had been weighing my choices for a new carry pistol for awhile, and had settled on the PM9. I'd had an opportunity to shoot both the PM9 & PM40, so I wasn't expecting any surprises.

My first impression of the new pistol was that it was tight. Between all of the oil and the very tight fit of the slide, it was pretty tough to lock it back. I was very pleased with the external finish. I took it apart Saturday for a thorough clean & lube, and the tooling is very clean. There are very few, if any, visible marks. It's not a cheap pistol, so that's to be expected, and I wasn't disappointed. I was a little disappointed by the way that the extended mag looks. I can't complain about its function - it provides a purchase for one's pinkie, but it seems like they could have added a pearce-like grip to the front edge.

After cleaning it all up I applied a little regular Slide Glide. At this point it was still very tight, but was easy to manipulate.

As you probably know, Kahr instructs a 200-round break-in. This morning I put together a little bit of everything to run through it, and dragged it and my notebook out to MCFG.

Ammunition:

100 rounds S&B FMJ
    100 Rounds WWB
    50 rounds S&B JHP
    50 rounds Hornady Critical Defense

Based upon all of my research, I fully expected the pistol to fail to go into battery a couple times, and the occasional FTE until things got broken in. I had all of the ammo organized so that I could document any failures. I figured I'd start with some FMJ, start mixing in the HP, and finish up with the Hornady. In the end, it was all very academic. I had nothing to document. The PM9 ate everything I threw at it without hesitation.

All magazines were inserted with the slide locked back, and the first round was chambered using the release. My habit is to chamber by pulling the slide back on every other autoloader that I have, but Kahr instructs that you utilize the release. It's not that much of training issue given its intended use, and I do have to give some credit to the slide release. It's very functional, although I may have to bevel the edges just a little.

My main range impression is that it's definitely a shootable little pistol. There are only a few out there that are pocketable and fire 9/40/45 rounds. After 300 rounds in 70 minutes my hands were getting a litte tired, but that was as much from stuffing the 300 rounds into the 6-rd mag than actually shooting. My next smallest pistol is a Glock 30SF. I love that little 45, but putting 300 rounds through it is not on my "things I love to do on a Sunday" list. Definitely an apples to oranges comparison, but I thought that it might help offer a qualitative opinion about how it shoots. I know that Kahrs are a little unique in that they utilize an offset feed ramp. You definitely see it when you pull it apart. It looks like the type of thing that you see and you think to yourself, yeah, that's not gonna work. This supposedly allows the trigger mechanics to be higher and allows the grip to be higher, which reduces felt recoil, global warming, encourages teenagers to wear their pants around their waists instead of their thighs, and makes people driving down my street slown down to a reasonable pace.

I find that it points very naturally, and has very nice, very real and usable sights. Mine has night sights - I'm not sure who makes them, they seem fairly bright, but they're prominent and easy-to-use. I think that my P226 Elite and Kimber Pro CDP both have Meprolights which I really like. The PM9s aren't quite that nice (either because it's a different manufacturer, because they're far smaller, or both).

I think I've read that the trigger is about 7 lbs. That seems about right. The 9093 has no external safety; instead it has a fairly long, fairly heavy trigger. Assuming that you're using a pocket (or other) holster that completely covers the trigger guard, I think that this is a great set-up. The trigger is extremely smooth. I don't think that progressive is the word that I want to use to describe it, because it doesn't start out light and then progressively load up before the break. It's just a fairly long smooth consistent pull.

The pistol I take to the range the most is a P226 Elite that has the short reset trigger. Its reset is, well, very short. If you're used to a very short reset, then the Kahr's may take a little adjustment. There were two instances when I didn't release far enough for it to reset befire trying to fire another round. On one hand I felt a little dumb, but on the other hand, I think it's a credit to the PM9 as a whole that you really can forget that you're shooting a 16oz 9mm pistol. Usually there are trade-offs when you move to a gun that small/light, whether it's a smaller cartridge, small sights, a short grip, or a polymer frame (for those who eschew such things). I think that the PM9 occupies a sweet spot.

I'm thinking of the PM9 this way - I've had great wines and beers in my life, and on a given occasion I might try something fancy or different, but I always have a fallback, the one that I'm most likely to pull out at the end of a long day at work. That's the PM9. It's not the fanciest, but it does lots of the important things very right. So far.

One other note - it really did break in after 300 rounds. It's really filthy right now, but the slide action is extremely smooth. There no side-to-side play at all.

Last edited:

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Your experience mirrors mine. I find myself carrying my PM45 more than any of my other pistols. It's almost the only thing I carry in warm weather.

I equate the Kahr's trigger to a finely tuned DA revolver.

mpluers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    thanks for sharing, congrats on your new Kahr. BTW how much does KS&E charge for transfer of handgun???

KS&E charges $20, although it's probably among the things that Ed likes to do the least. They have really good prices on ammuntion, and if you buy there then Ed is less grumpy about things like transfers.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have to agree with everything you said. I have been carrying a PM9 since they first came out, and have well over 2000 rounds through mine as I continue to practice with it. I am continually amazed at how tight it still is. It still takes three hands and a foot to pull the slide back to chamber the first round. Built like it will last forever.

mpluers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    Very good range report, Thank you :rockwoot:. Of course, I hate to add, but would've been a great report with some PICS :D

I had a camera and everything with me, but I have to admit that I had work on the mind - I'm a tax acct and April 15th is right around the corner. I was prepared to document some FTEs, but nothing remarkable happened. I'll post some pics of the pistol soon.

One thing I would love to post is pics of the new electric gate that was installed at MCFG. At some point in the last 2 years I must have gone a little soft, because I find that thing to be infinitely useful. I'd love nothing more than to recognize whoever put in the leg work to get that thing installed.

mpluers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Great review, OP!

Also note: Yes, Kahr indeed recommends using the slide lock/release in order to chamber a round when the slide's open.

HOWEVER, you most certainly can "slingshot" the slide if you do it correctly*

*If it works, you did it correctly. :laugh:

I didn't have any "break in" issues with my Kahr CW-40, either. MY issues developed later... *sigh*

-J-

Gpfury86

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    These PM9's look very cool, I was curious to feel one in the hand, so the other day at the local gunshop they had a cw9 same gun , but the plastic sights and little less quality I assume. Really didn't feel bad, from what everyone has been saying about them, I think I'll have to get one here in the next few weeks and get some practice with one. I'm not real heavy so it makes it hard to conceal these fat glocks and big 1911's I like to shoot.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    These PM9's look very cool, I was curious to feel one in the hand, so the other day at the local gunshop they had a cw9 same gun , but the plastic sights and little less quality I assume.

FWIW, the CW9 is the "economy" version of the P9, which is Kahr's "full-size" pistol as opposed to a compact like the PM9.

Differences between the CW and P series include:

• CW lacks the rounded edges and slide contours of the P
    • CW has a pinned front sight rather than dovetailed (sights are still metal)
    • CW has a one-piece cast slide stop lever vs. 2-piece machined
    • CW does not have the Elite 98 trigger upgrade
    • CW only comes with 1 magazine

HTH!

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    FWIW, the CW9 is the "economy" version of the P9, which is Kahr's "full-size" pistol as opposed to a compact like the PM9.

HTH!

Also the CW models have conventional rifling as opposed to the polygonal rifling of the P/PM series. I am dead set on getting a P45 once I can get my funds together. I tried walking around with one of my friend's P45s in an el cheapo fabric holster...it completely disappeared and I hardly even felt anything extra.

Gpfury86

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010

HTH!

Sorry shouldn't have said same gun.. Thank you...But they didn't have any pm9's Which Is a more compact and better quality version.... The sights are a polymer hard plastic material, not metal. What are the drawbacks to conventional rifling over the polygonal....I know the conventional let's a little more gas charge get around the bullet, cause it doesn't quite seal as good.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The sights are a polymer hard plastic material, not metal.

Actually, we may both be right; the Kahr website gives the same description for the CW9 rear sight as it does for the P9, but makes a point of saying the CW front sight is polymer. :dunno:

CW9: Drift adjustable white bar-dot combat rear sight, pinned in polymer front sight

P9: Drift adjustable white bar-dot combat sights (tritium night sights optional)

I'll have to take a closer look at the CW next time I'm at the shop.

inFALable

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Hamilton Co.
    Conventional rifling has the advantage of handling cast bullets better. I would rather have conventional rifling than polygonal in my PM9. That being said with proper cleaning polygonal rifling should shoot cast fine you just have to watch for lead build up.

Top Bottom