• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Just got home a few days ago from my 10 day South African safari. Definitely an adventure! I booked it through Cabela's WTA. The hunt was about an hour from Port Elizabeth at Frontier Safaris's, owned by Barry Burchell. He had a first class operation. The main ranch was a little over 80K acres, with another smaller local ranch around 11K acres. It was for 6 animals. I took a kudu, gemsbok, warthog, impala, blue wildebeest and blesbok. I also took an additional cull impala. Got the 6 animals included in the package in the first 6 days. Took the cull impala on day 8. I used a Bergara B-14 Ridge in .30-06, topped with a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40. I was shooting Barnes 180gr TSX.

I flew into Johannesburg from Atlanta, it was almost a 16 hour flight that was miserable both ways. It was a short hour and a half flight from Johannesburg to Port Elizabeth, where I was picked up and driven to the ranch about an hour away.

Got my gemsbok the first day with a 105 yard accidental neck shot, which immediately dropped him. It was an old bull, that my PH estimated to be around 9 years old. The top of his horns were broomed off from fighting.

20230805_112318_jpg-2921503.JPG

The blesbok was next on the third morning. With a 266 yard shot right in the shoulder. He was laying down when I shot. He jumped up after being hit and ran maybe 15-20 yards, did a flip and was done.

20230807_092204_jpg-2921504.JPG

The blue wildebeest was next, taken on the afternoon of day 3. Had a great stalk on this one, as there were about 20 of them in the group. Had to crawl through lots of thorny brush to sneak up on them. Shot was right at 200 yards and was a perfect heart shot. He ran about 40 yards and collapsed. He was also an old bull, with almost no teeth left.

20230807_145252_jpg-2921506.JPG

Went to the other ranch on day 5 and got my trophy impala in the morning. The day started off cold, windy and rainy. We found this one with a group of 10 females. Shot was 185 yards in the shoulder. He dropped pretty much immediately. PH said it was the biggest one he's guided anyone on. Measures a bit over 23" long.

20230809_104427_jpg-2921507.JPG

The afternoon cleared up nicely and I was able to take my warthog. Shot was 120 yards in the shoulder and dropped him quickly. Was a bit chaotic, as there were several in the group, intermingled with a bunch of cattle.

20230809_153825_jpg-2926018.JPG

My kudu came on day 6. We glassed from 2 different mountain tops all morning and were only seeing immature bulls and cows. We decided to take a break for lunch and I spotted a bull running across the hillside beside us. The tracker spotted this bull about 40 yards ahead of the one I seen. We jumped out of the Hilux and got into position. This bull kept disappearing and reappearing into the brush. Finally popped out into a shootable spot around 240 yards. The PH had to yell multiple times to get him to stop. Only had a few seconds to get my shot off. Had a perfect shoulder shot, that dropped him within 30 yards.

20230810_112732_jpg-2921511.JPG

My cull impala came on day 8. It was a pretty quick hunt. We were only out for about an hour and had him down. Shot was about 100 yards in the shoulder, quartering sharply towards me. It dropped almost immediately, as the bullet ran the length of his body.

20230813_093435_jpg-2921513.JPG

There were 3 other Americans in camp, as well as 6 Russians. The Russians were a total **** show. They drank insane amounts daily. They ended up taking a variety of game. 2 buffalo, a rhino, Sable, roan, zebra and a variety of other plains game. The guy that shot the rhino was under the impression that what he paid for the rhino entitled him to shoot the rest of his plains game free. He got into a big argument when he got his bill at the end of his hunt. The other guy who shot one of the buffalo carried a Glock 17L and got up from breakfast 3 mornings in a row and shot at ducks down on the river below at 200+ yards away. Finally hit one on the third morning. Another one of them got absolutely **** faced one night and tried to fight his PH when it was suggested it was time to go to bed. I walked into the top boma to get a bottle of water from the bar fridge and he was passed out on the floor with his stool flipped over laying in a puddle of his own ****. I was glad to see these guys leave.

Overall, it was a great hunt. My PH was excellent and the entire staff was professional and very welcoming. I was able to try a variety of game meat while there. They prepared impala, kudu, blesbok, zebra, warthog and rhino. All were good, but the zebra was my favorite. I went for a day trip over to Pumba Game Preserve to see some animals not on the ranch. Got close to some rhinos and hippos there and seen several others, but left a little disappointed as I never got to see any lions or elephants while there.

The one thing that really pissed me off was that customs confiscated $50+ in biltong I brought back. It was all commercially produced, in sealed commercial packaging. I'm still fuming over that. They wouldn't even let me sit there and eat it. They also hassled me over some porcupine quills I brought back. I had them in my rifle case, so they wouldn't get damaged. They made me take them to USDA and they just looked at them and said ok. I wanted to put them back in my rifle case and they tried making just put them in my bag. I told them I would go back over to firearms check to put them back in and they finally relented and just let me put them back in my case.

I'm already thinking about going back for buffalo and a few other plains game in a few years. They had some nice buffalo on the ranch and tend to keep trophy quality up well.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Looks like a lot of fun. A good friend of mine did an African hunt maybe 20 years ago and it remains one of his favorite things ever, and he's had a pretty interesting life.

I've no interest in shooting them, personally, but I'd like to do a photo safari at some point, been looking at SA travel guides. So many places to go, so little time to go there.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I'm officially jealous of the warthog. I had one in my package deal and at the top of my wish list when I went in 2018 but they had our number all week. The only possible chance I had at a boar was a fleeting chance at one running straight away from us at full speed. I was able to fill that slot in my package with a giant springbok so it all worked out in the end.

That gemsbok is really cool with the broomed tips. Hopefully they are able to preserve that during the dip and pack process.

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I'm officially jealous of the warthog. I had one in my package deal and at the top of my wish list when I went in 2018 but they had our number all week. The only possible chance I had at a boar was a fleeting chance at one running straight away from us at full speed. I was able to fill that slot in my package with a giant springbok so it all worked out in the end.

That gemsbok is really cool with the broomed tips. Hopefully they are able to preserve that during the dip and pack process.
    The warthogs were all over the place at this ranch, except the majority were sows. He said if we didn't find a good boar, I could have shot a sow. They were surprisingly easy to stalk. We got up to about 20 yards from a small group.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The warthogs were all over the place at this ranch, except the majority were sows. He said if we didn't find a good boar, I could have shot a sow. They were surprisingly easy to stalk. We got up to about 20 yards from a small group.
    I went earlier in the year when there was a lot of foliage still on the brush. That made the little buggers really hard to spot although we did catch a few sows with piglets out in the open. Unlike the other animals that didn't seem to get alarmed until they saw a vehicle stop or a person approaching on foot within 200 yards, the warthogs always took off immediately upon spotting us on foot or if the vehicle started to slow down.

I was mostly hunting working cattle, sheep, and goat ranches and warthogs were near the top of the list of nuisance wildlife for ranchers to take out at any opportunity due to the damage they did to fences and pastures. I suspect that was the reason they were more switched on than anything else I hunted. Although I didn't hunt any, the baboons we saw were the only animals more skittish than the warthogs and they were even higher on the most hated list.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Looks like the same rifle in every picture. What did you use?

Here's a recipe for Droewors, similare to Biltong if you're so inclined to give it a whirl on your own. Can't vouch for the authenticity, but It's pretty darn good.

Attachments

• DroeworsKeith.pdf
      93.2 KB · Views: 1

VostocK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Congratulations on a successful hunt ! Sounds like the trip of a lifetime. The 16 hour flights would be tough, but I bet its totally worth it.

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I went earlier in the year when there was a lot of foliage still on the brush. That made the little buggers really hard to spot although we did catch a few sows with piglets out in the open. Unlike the other animals that didn't seem to get alarmed until they saw a vehicle stop or a person approaching on foot within 200 yards, the warthogs always took off immediately upon spotting us on foot or if the vehicle started to slow down.

I was mostly hunting working cattle, sheep, and goat ranches and warthogs were near the top of the list of nuisance wildlife for ranchers to take out at any opportunity due to the damage they did to fences and pastures. I suspect that was the reason they were more switched on than anything else I hunted. Although I didn't hunt any, the baboons we saw were the only animals more skittish than the warthogs and they were even higher on the most hated list.
    The ostriches were the super skittish animals on the big ranch. If they seen the truck a half mile away, they were running. On the small ranch, the springbok were really skittish. The owner said they had to cull a bunch and did it from trucks, so now if the see a vehicle in the distance they are gone.

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Looks like the same rifle in every picture. What did you use?

Here's a recipe for Droewors, similare to Biltong if you're so inclined to give it a whirl on your own. Can't vouch for the authenticity, but It's pretty darn good.
    Yep, same rifle for everything. Bergara B-14 Ridge in .30-06. Shooting 180gr Barnes TSX. Performed flawlessly.

Top Bottom