• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    After reading a thread here I decided to take the plunge and order a kit from PSA. I ordered this kit PSA 16'' M4 CMV Chrome-Lined Premium Rifle Kit and one of the Blem lowers for $50.

I have never assembled an AR before but I have been watching some videos and it does not look very difficult. Are there any trouble spots that I need to pay special attention to? The biggest thing I have read so far is to make sure to support the lower when you drive the trigger guard pin in.

I also ordered a a tool for the castle nut. The one I got has several tools built into one. Are there any other specialty tools I must have? I have punches, hammers and the like already.

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    You won't need anything else. Best advice I can give is BE CAREFUL when installing pins and springs. They have a tendency to go flying and get lost. By the way, that's a great kit you got there. 5 of my 6 AR's are PSA.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Looks like a fun few hours on some evening or weekend. Even more fun once it goes 'bang'! :yesway:

There are better opinions that mine on INGO, but I don't think you'll need many tools to assemble. Could be wrong, though.

Either way, very cool!

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Only parts on my precision AR that are not PSA are the lower and BCG, which I used a stag and MI BCG. I'd put the upper against BCM or DD any day.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I just bought a upper kit and a 80% lower. I built my previous lower on a 100% lower. It's easy. This will be my first upper though. And first 80% lower. I checked the on line video's too. You're right. it doesn't look hard. I use the videos to do my lower and they worked out great. I am going to buy the right tools. I think the blocks to hold the lower and the upper are a must!! At least for the upper. I did my lower without the block and wish I had it. My buddy had the right wrench. I plan on doing a few more for my son and daughter so the tools will get some use.

Looking forward to seeing your build.

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    Yes, as stated, there are specialized tools that will make the job easier, but I'm cheap. I got by fine with just the castle nut wrench and basic hand tools. Really depends on how much of a penny pincher you are.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...me-gunsmiths-i-need-tool-advice-ar-build.html

I'm in the same boat, getting ready to build my first rifle. I did purchase some tools to hopefully make the process easier.

Set of 4 roll pin punches
    Set of 4 roll pin starters
    A lower receiver vice block
    Drill press vice
    Pivot and roll pin install tool

The total for all was about $80 shipped. I still need to get a wrench for the castle nut.

I don't know if I'll need all of this, but I know this won't be my last build, so I figured I should invest in some tools.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    OP, just so that you know, your not going to see the stuff that you ordered for about 3 weeks. I buy from PSA often, great pricing, great products, sllloooooooowwwww shipping.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    Yes, as stated, there are specialized tools that will make the job easier, but I'm cheap. I got by fine with just the castle nut wrench and basic hand tools. Really depends on how much of a penny pincher you are.

I am pretty darn cheap, but I also have learned that when you need something like a specialized tool, you really need it. I just don't see anything other than the castle nut tool that I can't work around.

If I were going to work on dozens of ARs then I could see investing in more. Who knows, that may be next week the way I am going.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    OP, just so that you know, your not going to see the stuff that you ordered for about 3 weeks. I buy from PSA often, great pricing, great products, sllloooooooowwwww shipping.

Yea, they say 15 days on their site. I am not in a big rush. I ordered the tool and 1000 rounds of ammo so I will be ready when it finally arrives.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have all the tools. Yes, they make the job so much easier.
    Get a spare spring/pin set from Midway or brownells. You will not regret it.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

FWIW, I ordered a PSA upper last Saturday (1 week ago). It shipped this morning, despite the 10-15 business day disclaimer.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I just put together my 2nd lower, with a PSA kit.
    Did it while watching Jimmy Fallon the other night. The only part I have trouble with is the roll pin in the bolt catch. (my lower has an integral trigger guard, but that one is a pain too if you need to install it.) I mask off the side behind the roll pin so I don't mar it up.
    Other than that, just look at a couple vids or ar15doncom's schematics and guides too

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I've had quicker than 10 business days and right around 15 with PSA. The quality is there for the cost so having a little patience isn't a big deal. As far as the special tools, I didn't have them when I built my 1st and I'm not a big fan of the Brownells roll pin starters (seen several break in the last few weeks but these were high volume, not my buddy builds 5 a year high volume either). The one tool I'd say is the biggest plus (at least specialized) would be the pivot pin tool. It makes shooting the detent and spring across the room a lot less of a possibility.

OP, that rifle kit should make a very nice rifle. I'm trying to talk my dad into one so I can buy the lower build parts (he just needs an upper, bcg, and charging handle and that is one of the better looking uppers for the money right now). I'm planning on building several rifles with that upper in the not so distant future.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I just put together my 2nd lower, with a PSA kit.
    Did it while watching Jimmy Fallon the other night. The only part I have trouble with is the roll pin in the bolt catch. (my lower has an integral trigger guard, but that one is a pain too if you need to install it.) I mask off the side behind the roll pin so I don't mar it up.
    Other than that, just look at a couple vids or ar15doncom's schematics and guides too

The trigger guard roll pin isn't too bad. You've just got to support the ears as you're driving it. If you've got a press, that'll make it even easier. Or you can break out a C clamp and electrical tape. Just have to be a little patient. I used a piece of scrap wood with my first lower.

Top Bottom