• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times, but I’m building my first AR and I’m looking for a local place to pick up the tools to put it together. So far I’ve got a stripped lower; with a bolt carrier group and lower parts kit on the way.

I don’t have a work bench and I have ZERO gunsmithing tools outside of a standard cleaning kit and some pliers. I know I need punches and a castle nut wrench, but I need specifics. School me on a full list of tools I need to put this together. I’d like to get everything locally (Indy) so I can get started on the lower when the LPK gets here.

Can I go to my LGS, Gander Mountain, other?

Are there specific brands I should look for?

Do I need a vice and a block, and or can I do this all on the dining room table?

What other basic gunsmithing tools would serve me well across other rifle and handgun platforms? (From Mosin-Nagant and 10-22, to Glock and Colt Revolver)

Thanks.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Tagged.
    You're going to need a vise,unless you have a friend who can hold something still while you torque it to 50lbs/ft.Also a torque wrench.You're lucky enough to be relatively close to Harbor Freight,which will work if you're not a tool snob.
    Everything besides the castle nut,barrel nut,and flash hider/compensator can be kitchen table work,if you possess the dexterity.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I've watched lots of the videos. I'm more interested in things like what brand and size punches I need. I'm also looking for a good set of gunsmithing screw drivers, etc.

I'm not really looking to order online unless that's my only option.

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    go online to brownells website. they have a FULL selection of ar tools with descriptions and judge for yourself what you can pick up locally. quality tools will last a long time and once you get the ar bug, it probably wont be your only build. what area do you live? i could show you what i use.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The Grizzly site has decent tools at good prices as do many other sits. Look into getting a "Parrot" vive. They are well made for this work and very adaptable.
    Be careful buying budget priced tools. They are for the most part not as well made as something you may pay a bit more for. Brownells has a good line-up of well made tools.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I bought a set of roll pin punches $11, Wheeler vice block $20+ and a Tapco wrench $30 all from Amazon. Sears has a generic vice that works really well for less than $30. This vice is orange in color and I have been using mine for a couple of years without any issues. I used all of these items to build my first upper on Sunday.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    You dont need "punches", You need a roll pin punch set which has a extended tip to support the roll pin end so it doesnt get mushroomed while being hammered in to place. Roll pin punch set runs around $10 at Harbor Freight. You will need a armorers wrench that can torque the barrel nut/flash hider. You will need a castle nut wrench for the buffer tube if you are using a collapsible stock. If you are installing a free float handguard then you will need the tool to install that as well. Nylon blocks to hold on to upper receiver in the vice for barrel tightening.(runs around $15 on ebay) All other tools are standard tools you would already have at home. (hammer, screwdriver,vice, needle nose pliars, utility knife (for installing front detent for retaining pin)).

Or you could just show up to a AR15 build party and bring your parts!

Last edited:

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Tagged.
    You're going to need a vise,unless you have a friend who can hold something still while you torque it to 50lbs/ft.Also a torque wrench.You're lucky enough to be relatively close to Harbor Freight,which will work if you're not a tool snob.
    Everything besides the castle nut,barrel nut,and flash hider/compensator can be kitchen table work,if you possess the dexterity.
    This, all day! I assembled my first lower on my computer desk, on my gun cleaning mat, while watching Brownells assembly videos! At that point, I had no AR specific tools. (Granted, it was an A2 stock to go with a varmint upper, so no special wrenches there!) Your upper WILL require a bit more tooling. I bought my armorer's wrench, upper and lower vice blocks, and a good set of roll pin punches on Amazon.com, for around $100. If your location of, "Earth", is within driving distance of Fort Wayne, I'd be happy to let you use my tools and what knowhow I can offer!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Right now I plan on starting with the lower and seeing how that goes.

So far I have ordered a set of 4 roll pin punches, roll pin starters, pivot pin tool, vice block and a drill press vice. Total with shipping was about $80. My f-i-l has half a dozen lowers, so I figured it would be worth investing in some tools for the upcoming builds.

I'm debating if I need the bolt pin punch from Brownell's. It's only $15 but shipping is $6.

If the lower build goes ok I might try and build the upper. Right now I'm leaning towards buying complete just to save some $$$.

(I'm near Indy btw pilbert, but thanks for offering to help.)

Last edited:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    If you are close to Greenwood why not get into one of the build classes at USDS.. They have all the tools there to do it yourself and someone to look over your shoulder to make sure it goes right.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT] NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [h=3]Certified Glock armorer—GSSF Member[/h] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1911, M&P & Ruger MK III Mechanic[/FONT]

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Right now I plan on starting with the lower and seeing how that goes.

So far I have ordered a set of 4 roll pin punches, roll pin starters, pivot pin tool, vice block and a drill press vice. Total with shipping was about $80. My f-i-l has half a dozen lowers, so I figured it would be worth investing in some tools for the upcoming builds.

I'm debating if I need the bolt pin punch from Brownell's. It's only $15 but shipping is $6.

If the lower build goes ok I might try and build the upper. Right now I'm leaning towards buying complete just to save some $$$.

(I'm near Indy btw pilbert, but thanks for offering to help.)

I just built my first upper and it was so easy. It shoots perfectly.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times, but I’m building my first AR and I’m looking for a local place to pick up the tools to put it together. So far I’ve got a stripped lower; with a bolt carrier group and lower parts kit on the way.

I don’t have a work bench and I have ZERO gunsmithing tools outside of a standard cleaning kit and some pliers. I know I need punches and a castle nut wrench, but I need specifics. School me on a full list of tools I need to put this together. I’d like to get everything locally (Indy) so I can get started on the lower when the LPK gets here.

Can I go to my LGS, Gander Mountain, other?

Are there specific brands I should look for?

Do I need a vice and a block, and or can I do this all on the dining room table?

What other basic gunsmithing tools would serve me well across other rifle and handgun platforms? (From Mosin-Nagant and 10-22, to Glock and Colt Revolver)

Thanks.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...27261-usds-ar-15-build-classes-back-good.html

MDave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 1, 2009
    Drill Press Vise w/ 4" Jaw

I use a vice about like this. It is FANTASTIC for pressing in Pins, The Bolt Release pin can be a little tricky with this but it works really well.

Search results for: 'C Clamp'

A couple of these are useful to clamp the vice to a sawhorse or table.

This link is not for you to go buy this specific wrench. Just an interesting note. Make sure the wrench you buy has a cut out in it (The square in the middle) so you can slip a torque wrench on it. (Even if you don't think you are going to torque it down write now.)

Aim Sports PJTW2 Ar15 Stock Combo Wrench New Style Tool - Rakuten.com Shopping

Finally

I like Loctite blue. It is a medium strength anti vibration thread sealer. Others will tell you what they like and why. I like the Loctite because I have used it for years in Automotive, Hobby and work around the house. It holds well and still seems to be managable when I go to remove the threaded part.

Good Luck

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    I have not attended a class at USDS but I have talked to the guys in there a bunch. They are knowledgeable! I would bet it is a good time.

Good Luck with your build. I am just finishing up my second AR build. It is a little addictive!
    Lower class is tonight btw.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I just bought a 80% lower and a upper parts kit. Another project, dang it! I was turned on to this sight on another forum.

JSE Surplus

I have done lowers but a upper is going to be a first for me. I am planning on doing a few so some tools are in my future!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Lower class is tonight btw.

I wish I could have made it tonight, but my wife is in school and has classes Monday nights. That means I'm home with my daughter.

I also have some parts I'm waiting to get delivered, but I'll keep an eye out for the next one.

Top Bottom