• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • braz007

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I know this has been discussed at length multiple times here, but it has been a while...

I just finished "Survivors" by James Wesley Rawles.
    Amazon Link

Pretty good read, I still liked Patriots better. Given the following "survivalist" themed books I have recently read, do you have any suggestions on ones I haven't read yet?

Patriots - J.W. Rawles
    Survivors - J.W. Rawles
    How to Survive TEOTWAWKI - J.W. Rawles
    Lights Out - D. Crawford
    One Second After - W. Forstchen
    The Road - C. McCarthy
    Lucifer's Hammer - L. Niven
    Alas Babylon - P. Frank
    Day by Day Armageddon - J. Bourne <- I do like the occasional zombie read!

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Dies the Fire is worthwhile, as is The Postman. I found The Road to be not as good as I'd hoped. I'll think of some of my favorites and post them later.

braz007

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I find it really hard to believe that no one has any other suggestions for me... Lots of people are willing to tell a 16 year old that he needs an editor and should growup before he writes, but no suggestions on books...

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Grapes of Wrath classic

Soft Apocalypse modern, slightly scifi version of above

These aren't the typical societal collapse, arm yourself for the zombie/UN/cannibal hordes, but are a good view of the slope the world may slide down.

braz007

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Grapes of Wrath classic

Soft Apocalypse modern, slightly scifi version of above

These aren't the typical societal collapse, arm yourself for the zombie/UN/cannibal hordes, but are a good view of the slope the world may slide down.

Thanks Snorko!

The Grapes of Wrath is a great read. I have enjoyed a few of Steinbeck's books. I have not read Soft Apocalypse yet, and it has been added to my list.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Hello, my name is TBE and I am a book junkie

For escapist, blood and guns a' blazin survival pulp fiction I do not think you can beat Jerry Avern's "The Survivalist". If Melensdad's posts do not make you crave a detonics, "The Survivalist" will. Its a really light, pulpy series, but its a good time when you're trying to scratch a particular itch (at least the first several books in the series).

At the other end of the spectrum is Henry David Thoreau's "Walden". "Walden" is a nonfiction account of a man dropping back to the wilderness to live a simple life. It is more philosophy than practical information and is not a tale of action, but it is really a great book.

thompbarn

Plinker
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Jun 9, 2010
    I disagree on the earlier dissing of The Road. I thought that was a fantastic book. Cormac McCarthy is a great author.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Tunnel in the sky by Heinlein.A little sparse on survival skills,but great insight into shtf politics and social issues.

stchas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Terrible Haute
    A preppers road march by Ron foster. It's a trilogy. I believe he has others. I just finished the first book. I'm not sure what I think yet, but I'm reading the next book so I must not have hated it. Lol

showpare

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2011
    I'm not too impressed with Survivors. Patriots was better.

Try:

Black Monday by Bob Reiss. Get it at the library . It is going to be a movie, too.

a deadly microbe contaminates the world oil supply, effectively shutting down all cars, planes and machines—anything driven by oil. Food supplies and electricity run out. Police have no way to patrol the streets. Gangs and marauders seize control in the world capitals. Scrambling to find not only a solution to the problem but who's behind it is Greg Gillette, an epidemiologist for the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. As Gillette furiously tracks the microbe from the Nevada desert to rural Massachusetts, experts predict total chaos will soon sweep Earth. Lost in the maelstrom, however, is a full explanation of how the microbe works and the motive behind the calamity.

Top Bottom