• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USA#1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    In the forest
    Just happened to look out the front window at the time a diesel truck pulled up in the street in front of my house and stopped. I walked to the window to see what they were doing. I see them shining some sort of light, most likely a flashlight at the neighbors house across the street. They drive forward and stop in front of the next house and shine the light again. They do the same thing at the next house. Then they put it in reverse and back up to the previous house and shine the light. At this point, I turn on my porch light and other light at the end of my driveway as I open the front door and step out on the porch. After a moment, they apparently noticed me noticing them and immediately floored it down the street. I'm not one to cry wolf, but this seemed suspicious so I dialed 911. I let them know that no lives were at stake but I wanted to report suspicious activity. I let them know who and where I was and what I saw. They said they would have someone in the area. I feel like I did the right thing. It's a little late to be calling neighbors. I don't know that any of them realize what happened. I will be talking to them tomorrow. Fire away with thought, suggestions, questions, sarcasm, etc.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Good for you for being alert and being a good neighbor. Your spidey sense was probably going off for a reason.

They may have been looking for a lost dog, but if that was the case they wouldn't have hauled off, they would have asked you if you'd seen it.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Good on you for being a neighbor. I would've done the same.

Speculation: Some sloppy repo-jockeys? Having seen a few good and bad; just a thought

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Had that happen on my old street once or twice... Then three houses got robbed over the course of a week.

Needless to say they didn't break into my house [thankfully] and nobody was hurt - just property stolen.

I always err on the side of caution. I'm not the type to confront but I'd probably quietly keep watch.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I would have done the same.

my dad said he would have called 911 after he beat them with the 5/16" fiberglass stick he keeps by the door lol

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I would have called without them noticing me noticing them. Just stood at the front door with my .45 and watched them face the cops. Much more entertaining.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I had a similar instance. I took my camera out to a legal spot and got pictures of the truck the Lic Plate and the driver. and Facebooked them to all my neighbors and let the Sheriff know

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    Why did you warn them by turning on your lights? You could have easily stood out in your yard and called while they were doing "whatever" they were doing. Maybe the cops could have showed up and caught them in the act with you as a witness. As it is, all you did was scare them off so they can try again later with someone else. Might as well have knocked on their window and said I'm calling the cops, go away.....which they did.

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    Is Friday trash pick-up day in your area? If so it could of been metal scrappers. I've seen them doing this in my neighborhood on Thursday night and called the police as well. I'm not saying all metal scrappers are thieves but a great deal are, so better safe than sorry.

Anyways my trash belongs to me until the sanitation people pick it up and load into the truck.

fraige1987

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Crane
    ive only seen scrappers go out the day of trash pickup to get the big things, but it makes sense to go out the night before. but that sounds a bit too fishy for me.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I also would have called and kept an eye on them...mostly because now they have a chance to rob someone else. We have a guy in the area breaking into sheds and all and so far people just call the cops when they have seen him but he is gone by the time the cops get here... Gonna take someone stoping the guy till the cops show to get him... Cops have hinted at this also.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I would not think thieves would be out shining a flashlight at houses in the middle of the night. Seems like a good way to get noticed, as they did. I would also guess a repo agent looking for a car or somebody looking for an address.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I would not think thieves would be out shining a flashlight at houses in the middle of the night. Seems like a good way to get noticed, as they did. I would also guess a repo agent looking for a car or somebody looking for an address.
    Yea but they should not take off when confronted... Would have been nice to get a plate number... Surprising people will break into a house and risk getting caught, but too lazy to get a job.

Top Bottom