• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    I just received a post card in the mail that says "YOU ARE ORDERED TO CALL (317) 327-8992 WITHIN THE NEXT 14 DAYS TO QUALIFY FOR JURY SERVICE...". It goes on to make threats about being found in contempt of court etc. I am not a US citizen so I obviously don't qualify for this but it's not clear how I get out of it. I called the number and went through an automated questionnaire which confirms that I am not qualified (I got as far as Question 1). Is that it? Can I ignore it now or do I have to do something else? I can't get any more information from it or from the website Frequently Asked Questions. Thanks!

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    You should be fine as far as not having to contact them again.

I answered one of the questions wrong and they stopped the phone call. I had to call back and navigate through the questionnaire again to confirm that I was legitimate. Their automated system is not very user friendly at all. They don't give you any way to correct an error.

Ski

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Indy
    You can log in to the website listed on the card with your juror number and pin to check your juror status. It should be listed as "ended". At least that's the way it worked with my dad, who is over 75 yo. I did it all online though, not on the phone.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    You can log in to the website listed on the card with your juror number and pin to check your juror status. It should be listed as "ended". At least that's the way it worked with my dad, who is over 75 yo. I did it all online though, not on the phone.

I'd recommend the web site over the phone. It would be much easier to verify your answers.

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    I received it in the mail. And it has the real phone number for the courts. And they knew my name when I called. So I think it's real.

That's fine. Just my perception that an official summons would have been somewhat more "substantial"; an envelope & paper, instead of a card.

Can't be too careful with anything these days...

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    That's fine. Just my perception that an official summons would have been somewhat more "substantial"; an envelope & paper, instead of a card.

You would think so, but remember that this is a function of government, so don't expect too much. When you check in, either via phone or web, they ask for your juror number and a PIN number, as proof of who you are. Of course both of those numbers are printed right next to each other on the post card. They then require you to make a legal statement based on that "proof of identity".

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I may not be old enough to have ever received a notice any other way, it has always been a postcard in the mail for me.
    Last year was my latest experience and it said I was not qualified.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I've been a registered voter for 35 years now, and have never received one. My daughter got one within 6 months of registering, funny how it works.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I didn't for a long time, but have been summoned the last three cycles (every two years) in a row. Guess it is just luck of the draw.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis

IANAL but the initial post cards aren't certified and can't be used to issue a warrant or find you in contempt. If you've ignored the postcard something official could be sent via certified mail or delivery person to verify that you received it. Once you've been served then they can find you in contempt. While I don't recommend it, one can simply ignore the postcards and very likely not hear anything. If you call the number on the card though you've just certified that you got the notice and better follow through.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    While I don't recommend it, one can simply ignore the postcards and very likely not hear anything.

I don't know the statutes behind it, but the post card certainly doesn't give that impression:

You are ordered to call xxx-xxx-xxxx or visit <website> within the next 14 days to qualify for jury service. Failure to do so could result in a finding of contempt of court.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    I don't know the statutes behind it, but the post card certainly doesn't give that impression:

You are ordered to call xxx-xxx-xxxx or visit <website> within the next 14 days to qualify for jury service. Failure to do so could result in a finding of contempt of court.

You know they are just bluffing. Go ahead and call their bluff by not responding. Trust me, nothing will happen. (Did I forget the purple?) :):

Top Bottom