• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Where: Greenwood, IN. Cinemark Movies (The dollar movie theater)
    Interaction with Deputy happened in line to get tickets.
    When: Friday ~1905hrs.
    Who: Myself- looking non threatning in dress khaki shorts and a Hanover college shirt, camo hat. OCING my G17 in a forbus holster on my right side.
    My ol lady- not carrying at the time, but usually does G26.

So as we park and start our walk to the ticket office, I survey the situation as usual when i go anywhere and notice a Johnson county Deputy looking my way about as soon as i got out of the car.. go figure right. Once we make the walk across the lot to the back of the line i make eye contack with him and nod slightly as usual just to assure them that im aware of him and he I. We wait in line a for less than a minute when i see int he reflection that he is now standing behind me looking me up and down as if to asses my level of threat to the crowd. he then proceds to walk up on behing my right sholder, in a defensive posture with his had on his pistol..

He then walks in near to me as if to wisper a secret and says. (the wording may be slightly different but here is the just of the convo as heard by me and my GF.
    LEO: Sir im going to need you to cover that thing up.
    ME: hello sir, is there some reason as to why my rights are being infringed upon. have i commited or been suspected of a crime?
    LEO: IF you have a permit, you would know that in Indiana you have to conceal your weapon when carrying..
    ME: actually indiana issues a License To Carry Handgun, and is silent upon the issue of OC vs CC and i am in no way breaking the law of my license as issued by the Indiana State Police.
    LEO: Take it out and read it, and then you will know that is a concealed permit SIR. (this is when he started to get upset and flustered. also many people in line and nearby took notice of the conversation we were having.)
    ME: ::started to speak but was interupeted by an increasingly upset Sherrif Deputy..::
    LEO: Your just making people nervous and paranoid and I WANT YOU TO COVER THAT THING UP NOW.
    ME: Sir if you want me to conceal it for the sake of the crowd and their peace of mind, I am willing to but dont blow smoke up my a$$ and tell me i cant legally open carry in Indiana.
    LEO: all the stuff that keeps hapening, guns make people paranoid and nervous and im not going to deal with it on my watch.
    LEO: (leans in closer) just do what i say and enjoy your movie...
    ME: Have a good day sir (purchased tickets and walked into theater)

a few mins pass and we get into the lobby and hope in line to get into theater area and there he is again, staring at me yet again..

LEO: thanks for cooperating and you really need to learn the law in indiana so you dont give a bad name to gun owners as they are "under fire now anyway" for all the shootings that keep hapening. people are paranoid ya know
    ME: all the shootings, thats why i carry sir. to protect myself, my family and the general public if ever necessary.
    LEO: mumbled something rude and inappropiate for a LEO to say to anyone..
    Me: have a good night sir...

Proceded to look at his badge and name tag. then he quickly put his hand over it and walked away...

Stuff like this really gets old. i dont know as to weather or not he was a reserve or maybe new. but unacceptable either way!!
    Just remained calm and cool even when i was being talked down to by an ignorant cop... gotta love dealing with LEO's like that

Last edited by a moderator:

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Doug Cox is the Sheriff in Johnson County.

If you feel that the deputy was out of line, I would suggest that you report the him.

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Doug Cox is the Sheriff in Johnson County.

If you feel that the deputy was out of line, I would suggest that you report the him.

i dont know if that would get me anywhere really.. it seems that LEOs pretty much say what they want to get their way in situations like this. i have been told by several on many different occasions that OC is illegal (posted many of them here on INGO). I just dont see what reporting it is gonna do consider the Sherrif is not around to keep his deputies in line. so as their gonna do what they want to

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    I'm surprised he didn't tell you to leave the Theater since they have a no guns policy my Sister is actually the genera manager there and she has even told off duty police to leave their guns in their cars... lol I was like at least your consistent... I of coarse carry anytime I am there...

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    i dont know if that would get me anywhere really.. it seems that LEOs pretty much say what they want to get their way in situations like this. i have been told by several on many different occasions that OC is illegal (posted many of them here on INGO). I just dont see what reporting it is gonna do consider the Sherrif is not around to keep his deputies in line. so as their gonna do what they want to

I had a run-in with a reserve deputy once, and went straight to the Chief Deputy in my county. He was glad that I brought the situation to his attention and he and the Sheriff handled the situation promptly. I say go to the Sheriff, and leave it in his hands. You may get nowhere, but you also may bring something to his attention that he wasn't aware of.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I read the first few lines of the post so if this has been covered already I apologize.

Every time I have been there I have noticed a sign that says no firearms allowed. I don't specifically remember the location, I don't think it was at the ticket window, I think it was located on the stand where the dude tears your ticket and tells you which theater your movie is in.

That said, they have a sign albeit poorly located that advertises their stand on 2A so if they ask you to leave or remove the weapon and you don't you are now trespassing and exposed to the various tresspassing laws. By the deputy asking you to simply cover it instead of removing it/you, I would say he was being accomodating in your decision to carry openly.

Personally they have never said anything to me about my sidearm probably because they can't see it. (Yes, I AM a chicken kaka CCer:laugh:).

If however my laziness in not reading the entire OP and all of the attendant comments has caused me to rehash information that has already been hashed I apologize and will go back out to the grill to ensure the Johnsovilles don't get burned.:rockwoot:

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    You should have asked him to arrest you if it's illegal to OC in Indiana.

Agreed. In fact (INGO LEOs, correct me if I'm wrong), isn't it his sworn DUTY to enforce the laws of the state of Indiana (do Johnson County deputies go to the IN LEA)?

If so, wouldn't that require that he arrest someone found to be in violation of IC 35-47-2-1 (a class A misdemeanor or class C felony, depending upon the circumstances) and thus be derelict in his duties as a LEO? :dunno:

Top Bottom