• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Any one else have one of these? Have you changed the blades?

I just got one used. The blades are on backwards is why it wouldn't cut for the guy. The bolts holding the blades on are frozen which may be why he never fixed it.

Most every mower I've ever had the bolts on the blades were threaded backwards from normal but I've stripped the corners off the bolts on both blades now one going one way and the other turning it the other way.

I'll have to weld a nut on top of the bolt now to get them out but I've lost all confidence in which way the darn things are suppose to turn to come out so I can flip the blade over. Funny how long they'll stay sharp if you do all the cutting on the back of the blade.

If you've had yours off I sure like to know for sure I'm turning it the right way next time I crank on it.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    i do not have a john deer, but on my hustler, the bolts are on normal. i use a c-clamp to hold the blades from turning and a really long cheater bar (use part of my hammock) does the trick just fine!

this reminds me sometime before the last cut of the year (if it hasnt already had that i need to sharpen mine again :(

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    i do not have a john deer, but on my hustler, the bolts are on normal. i use a c-clamp to hold the blades from turning and a really long cheater bar (use part of my hammock) does the trick just fine!

this reminds me sometime before the last cut of the year (if it hasnt already had that i need to sharpen mine again :(

So far the manuals I've found for the specific mower just say "remove the bolt" I'm taking that to mean a normal thread like any other bolt. I also found a manual for a different JD mower deck that said turn the bolt counter clock wise to remove so if it get's to that point before I can call the JD dealer to get new bolts that will be my next guess.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    if they didnt go out of the way to put "reverse thread" or something to that nature, they just may need some wd-40 and a long cheater/breaker bar to get some torque on it and free it up. all i can say is be careful if you use a breaker/cheater bar to break the bolts free as it can be a pita if it slips or you slip.

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have a JD 345 circa 1998 with normal threads. My old 118 had normal threads. My neighbors simplicity, exmark, toros, dynamark, Allis, Scag, and Graveleys all have normal righty tighty lefty loosey threads. I know I sharpen them all. I use a Snap-On cordless 18v 1/2 drive impact wrench. :twocents:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Yep, looks like normal regular old threads.
    Service Mower
    Been a while since I sharpened any thing but the blades on my King Kutter mower deck I suppose.

Probably wouldn't have mattered one stripped going one way and the other did the same trying to turn it the correct way.

I would have just sharpend it on the mower if the frigging blades weren't on there backwards from who ever did it before.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Yep, looks like normal regular old threads.
    Service Mower
    Been a while since I sharpened any thing but the blades on my King Kutter mower deck I suppose.

Probably wouldn't have mattered one stripped going one way and the other did the same trying to turn it the correct way.

I would have just sharpend it on the mower if the frigging blades weren't on there backwards from who ever did it before.

sharpen them on the mower and cut in reverse! :):

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    50% transmission fluid and 50% acetone is a much better penetrating oil than anything on the market.
    Holy thread Resurrection Batman!!

I was talking to another driver tonight and he brought this up. In my search for more info, this thread popped up. Go figure.

So has anyone tried this?

Bugzilla

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    I always put nickel never seize on bolts like this. Just got a new Kubota and the first thing I did was put never seize on all the lug nuts so I can get them off in 5 years from now. Will do the same to the blades first time I sharpen them. To be sure on yours, hit a local Deere dealer and buy one of the bolts you need.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Heck, I'll contribute to a thread started well before I was an INGO member.

I have a JD 325- the blade bolts are lefty loosey, righty tighty. I generally use never seize, but my blades come off twice a year, so it's not much of a problem. As for the Allis Chalmers, I've never had the blades off, but I have an impact gun, so I'm not worried.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Heck, I'll contribute to a thread started well before I was an INGO member.

I have a JD 325- the blade bolts are lefty loosey, righty tighty. I generally use never seize, but my blades come off twice a year, so it's not much of a problem. As for the Allis Chalmers, I've never had the blades off, but I have an impact gun, so I'm not worried.
    I had to replace one of the spindles on the deck of my JD and I bought an air impact wrench for that, then used it to take off my blades. Best purchase I ever made. Second best was the battery powered impact wrench.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    I'm sorry I don't have any help about the threads. But once I bought my mower lift, I started using my air impact and no struggles. Really don't have to block the blades, impact spins it off so fast. So if it is not completely round, see if you can "tap" a impact socket and try metric, and then hit it with all the impact has. One way, then the other it should free up.

Just saw the original date and hadn't read thru all the posts! DoggyDaddy wasn't as long winded as me and posted about the impact before I hit save!

Top Bottom