• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I purchased a Marlin 1894c a few years ago for deer hunting, recreational shooting and because I felt that it could be pressed into service as a working practical carbine. At the time Mrs. VERT would not let me buy an AR-15.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Everyone seems to forget that before the AR-15 there were other rifles used in war besides the Mosin Nagant and AK-47.

Lever actions were the "black rifles" of thier day. Just ask the US Calvary or the Cherokee how effective the Winchester repeating rifle was in battle.

Thier viability as a SHTF rifle and thier usefullness in battle still exsists today, its just been over shadowed and surpassed by modern technology.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Kawtech87 I could not have said it better. In there hay day they were state of the art. The 30-30 was state of the art then and it is still deadlier than the 223 that we use today.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Kawtech87 I could not have said it better. In there hay day they were state of the art. The 30-30 was state of the art then and it is still deadlier than the 223 that we use today.

That is debatable.

Owning both i would have to say It would ruin my day to get hit by either of them center mass.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'd run my 1895 through a class just for the hell of it...

I think I'd need hospitalization with my loads after that much shooting though.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville

I guess I dont get the joke. 30-30 will kill anything a 5.56mm will. 30-30 just doesnt have the range that 5.56mm does. But out to about 150-200 yrds with Hornady Leverloution ammo its a hell of a medium game round. .223 is a much better Varmint round and will go farther and is more acurate at distance. But I wont say one is more deadly than the other, I think for thier intended purposes both are highly effective.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I guess I dont get the joke. 30-30 will kill anything a 5.56mm will. 30-30 just doesnt have the range that 5.56mm does. But out to about 150-200 yrds with Hornady Leverloution ammo its a hell of a medium game round. .223 is a much better Varmint round and will go farther and is more acurate at distance. But I wont say one is more deadly than the other, I think for thier intended purposes both are highly effective.

Has to do with the power of the 30-30, and the lack of ability of the 5.56....

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Care to elaborate?

What are you trying to do with a 5.56 that it will not do? Moose hunting?

Or are you trying to kill Yeager's ego?

The 30-30 has more energy than a 5.56. This translates to being more "effective" at a distance, since at 400 yards - it still has more energy. If you hit something with a 30-30, it will likely deliver more energy than a comparable 5.56 round.

It does fall out of the sky like a softball, and the 5.56 has that on it - but claiming that the 5.56 is more effective at a distance is something that I do not understand.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    The 30-30 has more energy than a 5.56. This translates to being more "effective" at a distance, since at 400 yards - it still has more energy.

It does fall out of the sky like a softball, and the 5.56 has that on it - but claiming that the 5.56 is more effective at a distance is something I do not understand.

But will 30-30 still be on target at 400 yds? Doubtfull Im not saying its impossible and yes a bigger heavier bullet will have more kinetic energy to spare but in my experiance 30-30 with flat nose ammo drops like a stone after about 150yds. Hornady ammo solves this problem though and Ive heard tails of 300+ yd shots with 30-30 thanks to leverevolution ammo.

Also I never said 5.56 is more "effective" at distance I said it is more accurate.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    But will 30-30 still be on target at 400 yds? Doubtfull Im not saying its impossible and yes a bigger heavier bullet will have more kinetic energy to spare but in my experiance 30-30 with flat nose ammo drops like a stone after about 150yds. Hornady ammo solves this problem though and Ive heard tails of 300+ yd shots with 30-30 thanks to leverevolution ammo.

Also I never said 5.56 is more "effective" at distance I said it is more accurate.

Meh, true accuracy generally takes into account bullet drop. If a round drops like a brick, but holds a consistent group - it is accurate. This means a shooter has to calculate more drop - but that is the duty of the rifleman, and does not make the bullet "less accurate".

Also take into account - lighter rounds generally get drifted more by wind.

It really is an apples to oranges comparison, but has been discussed in depth on a few hunting forums - as both rounds are common deer calibers in other states (just not IN).

Last edited:

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I just recently got a Marlin 39A and it's being cleaned and fixed up at Mike Sweeney's shop in Decatur (along w/a Plainfield M1)...I've been itching to try it out.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Meh, true accuracy generally takes into account bullet drop. If a round drops like a brick, but holds a consistent group - it is accurate. This means a shooter has to calculate more drop - but that is the duty of the rifleman, and does not make the bullet "less accurate".

Also take into account - lighter rounds generally get drifted more by wind.

It really is an apples to oranges comparison, but has been discussed in depth on a few hunting forums - as both rounds are common deer calibers in other states (just not IN).

Yep very true.

Also this really isnt really a disscussion about the rounds each platform fires its about the platforms as a whole.

Sorry for getting off topic. I think a lever action rifle could still hold its own in a SHTF scenario and would be more effective in a battle field than most would probably give it credit for. But Im no soldier so what I think is just that.

But given the choice I would choose my M1A over my Marlin 336 to go into battle with.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    My Marlin 336 is great out to 325 yards, part that who knows I don't think the 30-30 was made for long distance shooting. I love both my ever actions and wouldn't feel bad at all having it as my self defense tool.

Top Bottom