• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bartman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've been weighing options for a CCW for a while now and a J frame revolver has been a heavy contender in mind. I'm not real concerned about the trigger weight or recoil as these seem to be training issues rather than design defects. I was handling a 638 at the Fort Wayne gun show yesterday and I noticed something I never have before. I've always heard that a high grip on the backstrap is the best grip for a small revolver for controlling recoil. What I noticed was that when trying to aim, that grip pulls the front sight higher than the rear so that I really have to torgue my wrist down to line up the sights. I didn't have that problem if I gripped it lower, but the hold didn't feel as secure in my hand that way.

I'm wondering if this is just a matter of being unfamiliar with shooting a small revolver or if its an indication that the gun is too small for my hands.

I'm freely admitting my ignorance here so don't feel that you have to go out of your way to point it out :D

P.S. my only other handgun is an M&P 9mm

Last edited:

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN
    Any small handgun can pose problems if you have large hands. Typically the higher you can get on the grip of any handgun, without interfering with operation, the better off you will be with recoil managment. With that being said everyone's hands/bodies are different and you may or may not have to make some minor adjustments to your technique and or to the weapon (different grips for example) to make it work effectively for you.

My J frame also points high with my firing grip and it's just something that I've trained myself to deal with if I'm shooting it past spitting distance.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    For what it is worth I grip my J Frame and "torque my wrist down" as you explained it. If not the front sight is high.

Glocks can be the same way in that they "point high". It is just a matter of training with the gun you carry.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have a 637 and a 642 and just grip them as I would any handgun. I've never concentrated on a "high grip".

Bartman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Thank your for your replies. I haven't ruled out revolvers yet. If I ever manage to save enough money I'm going to have to make a decision sooner or later.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    For what it is worth I grip my J Frame and "torque my wrist down" as you explained it. If not the front sight is high.

Glocks can be the same way in that they "point high". It is just a matter of training with the gun you carry.

:yesway: Exactly right. I have to do the same thing.

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    My K frames are all square butt. I always thought the round butt was better looking. Finally got one. First reaction was: I can't shoot this thing. My old wrist doesn't bend that far. I found that a grip that fills the gully between the front strap and the trigger guard makes the gun much more shootable and doesn't detract from the looks.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I have and carry a 642. I grip it normally and practice with it in that matter.

I find that the rear sight is almost nonexistant anyway. However, I can hit the paper at a good distance (25 yards) with it pretty easily which tells me that I can probably hit things at a closer distance (5-10 feet).

As you probably know - this is no target pistol. I think that the small rear sight goes hand and hand with the intended use of the pistol which is not target shooting or shooting at something 30 yards away. Could you hit something 30 yards away? Sure, but at that point you probably have plenty of time to get your sight picture, aim and fire. If you miss you will have time to take a couple more shots in the same manner.:D

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    The old Tyler T-Grip is available again,Put one on my m36,really like it-if you have the little wood grips now,and want to fill in behind the trigger guard without addad weight/bulk,its worth a look.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    I too tourqe my wrist down a bit with my 642. If i get the top of the front sight level with the top of the rear of the "trough", it shoots where I want it to.

jurassicnarc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    I have a S&W 640, a 442, and a M&P 340 with the XS big dot front sight (My current EDC) All are S&W 'Centennial' types with small round butt grips. All have been fitted with Pachmeyer COMPAC grips, with the scallop on the front tip for the little finger. Accuracy went way up (even with the 357) after fitting the new grips, probably because they fill in the gap behind the trigger guard, and the cushy handfilling properties. Great for IWB carry too.

Lethgar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2012
    In my experience with my Detective Special, just hang on tight. No full firing grip changes from how I shoot my 19-3, just less to hang on to.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    I had a 2 week love affair with a J frame. I had the same problems you did. In order to get a good grip on it, I had to point my knuckles at the ground. That got old, real quick. I went back to single stack sub-compacts for my EDC, and never looked back.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    For controling recoil with a J-frame, I would suggest sticking with an all steel or stainless example. I simply don't understand the concept of buying an alloy or titanium gun of miniscule dimensions and then fighting recoil, especially for someone of larger stature. Incidentally, I have been happy with the Uncle Mike's grips that came standard on my model 60. They look somewhat long and narrow but fit my larger than average hands quite well.

Top Bottom