• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    I first heard about the Izaak Walton League last spring after reading about a meet and shoot here on INGO. I was excited to find that the Izaak Walton League of Fort Wayne had skeet & trap shooting, a 25, 50, & 100 yard covered range, hiking, fishing, & camping. I made a trip over (a very short drive from my home) and toured the property. I gladly ponied up the membership & range fee with plans to shoot there frequently.

I've been to the range there several times and my experiences have been pleasant... until this week. I received my first issue of the Hoosier Waltonian, a quarterly newspaper published by the Indiana Division of the Izaak Walton League of America. Thumbing through the pages I came across the article linked below.

The Battle for Women's Reproductive Freedom

I'll quote for you the parts I found memorable.

"In this 21st century of science and human enlightenment, to claim that human fertilized eggs and tiny, mindless, senseless embryos are somehow equivalent to children already born and thus have the same rights is rationally and ethically absurd."

"Furthermore, to claim that human embryos have a sacred right to life is not even a biblical teaching according to most Christian theologians and millions of pro-choice Christian supporters. Instead, such pronouncements are basically incendiary propaganda generated by America's powerful religious patriarchy with the ultimate purpose of controlling the religious/political thinking of tens of millions of conservative Christians.

The Religious Right is attempting to turn the US into a ultraconservative theocracy and the abortion issue is one key battle in its struggle to do so. Their real objective is to repeal women's rights—period."

"How can any society ever expect its citizens to live in a way that is higher, nobler and more spiritual when it attempts to force those women with unwanted pregnancies (a persistent and major reality throughout the entire history of humankind) to stay pregnant against their will—to be unwilling embryo incubators?"

Maybe I'm just clinging too closely to my guns and my religion, but I cancelled my membership today.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I first heard about the Izaak Walton League last spring after reading about a meet and shoot here on INGO. I was excited to find that the Izaak Walton League of Fort Wayne had skeet & trap shooting, a 25, 50, & 100 yard covered range, hiking, fishing, & camping. I made a trip over (a very short drive from my home) and toured the property. I gladly ponied up the membership & range fee with plans to shoot there frequently.

I've been to the range there several times and my experiences have been pleasant... until this week. I received my first issue of the Hoosier Waltonian, a quarterly newspaper published by the Indiana Division of the Izaak Walton League of America. Thumbing through the pages I came across the article linked below.

The Battle for Women's Reproductive Freedom

I'll quote for you the parts I found memorable.

Maybe I'm just clinging too closely to my guns and my religion, but I cancelled my membership today.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

Let me get this straight. You read an article in the IWL's newsletter, decided that the IWL supported the position it took, and cancelled your membership. Did you notice that the author of that article is an emeritus professor (meaning probably retired) at a college in Long Beach, California? I don't see him being a shooter at IWL and possibly not a shooter at all. You may not agree with women having legal access to abortion, and that's fine. You might disagree with IWL's use of the free press in the way they chose to use it, and that also is fine. My suggestion is that perhaps you might want to reevaluate your choice to cancel your membership and keep a place to legally shoot available. It's not like there are lots of them around, and by leaving, you remove your own point of view from consideration in what IWL supports and does not support.

Whatever your choice, it makes no difference to me personally; I've never been to Fort Wayne and have no intention of doing so. (Nothing against FW except for Paul Helmke and Pat Bauer, I just don't live anywhere near there.) I just don't want to see us lose a range where young people can be taken to learn how to shoot over an issue unrelated to the shooting sports.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    Let me get this straight. You read an article in the IWL's newsletter, decided that the IWL supported the position it took, and cancelled your membership. Did you notice that the author of that article is an emeritus professor (meaning probably retired) at a college in Long Beach, California? I don't see him being a shooter at IWL and possibly not a shooter at all. You may not agree with women having legal access to abortion, and that's fine. You might disagree with IWL's use of the free press in the way they chose to use it, and that also is fine. My suggestion is that perhaps you might want to reevaluate your choice to cancel your membership and keep a place to legally shoot available. It's not like there are lots of them around, and by leaving, you remove your own point of view from consideration in what IWL supports and does not support.

Whatever your choice, it makes no difference to me personally; I've never been to Fort Wayne and have no intention of doing so. (Nothing against FW except for Paul Helmke and Pat Bauer, I just don't live anywhere near there.) I just don't want to see us lose a range where young people can be taken to learn how to shoot over an issue unrelated to the shooting sports.

Blessings,
    Bill

Range or no range I cannot cast dollar votes for an organization that supports even the re-printing of such an article. There are several other ranges in the area that simply charge their members a fee to shoot, no social or political agenda required. One of them will have my business soon.

The intention of my OP is to inform other IWLA members what their membership fees are supporting. If those members wish to support this type of publication, so be it, they have the same First Amendment rights as the rest of us. I skimmed several other issues of the Hoosier Waltonian at the Indiana Divison's Website and could not find a single instance of any discussion of shooting sports. I think that the fact that IWLA has shooting ranges is more of a coincidence that an intention when reading the issues the organization feels are important.

Last edited:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    At what point does an embryo turn into a fetus in development then? At what stage do they support abortion? First trimester, second, third?

There are many variables in what people find to be an unacceptable abortion, and I'm just trying to find out yours.

Do you consider the morning after pill abortion? It stops an embryo from being able to attach itself...thus stopping the "process".

You may be against abortion all together, however, what about cases of incest, or rape, or in a case where the baby may not make it through full term anyway, or would be a quadriplegic on a ventilator at birth?

I am not voicing MY opinion on this subject, just asking questions and trying to get some informed answers :)

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    At what point does an embryo turn into a fetus in development then? At what stage do they support abortion? First trimester, second, third?

There are many variables in what people find to be an unacceptable abortion, and I'm just trying to find out yours.

Do you consider the morning after pill abortion? It stops an embryo from being able to attach itself...thus stopping the "process".

You may be against abortion all together, however, what about cases of incest, or rape, or in a case where the baby may not make it through full term anyway, or would be a quadriplegic on a ventilator at birth?

I am not voicing MY opinion on this subject, just asking questions and trying to get some informed answers :)

Defining "Abortion" is a slippery slope. I support human life... period. This article, if read in its entirely, supports abortion regardless of the definition.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Defining "Abortion" is a slippery slope. I support human life... period. This article, if read in its entirely, supports abortion regardless of the definition.

Yes, but when does that life begin to be viable on it's own? I think THAT is the more important question. Do you support a life in a vegitative state? Would you pull the plug on someone unable to breath on their own that can't move or speak?

When is QUALITY of of life taken into consideration?

I'm not trying to upset you, I just want to know :)

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Range or no range I cannot cast dollar votes for an organization that supports even the re-printing of such an article. There are several other ranges in the area that simply charge their members a fee to shoot, no social or political agenda required. One of them will have my business soon.

The intention of my OP is to inform other IWLA members what their membership fees are supporting. If those members wish to support this type of publication, so be it, they have the same First Amendment rights as the rest of us. I skimmed several other issues of the Hoosier Waltonian at the Indiana Divison's Website and could not find a single instance of any discussion of shooting sports. I think that the fact that IWLA has shooting ranges is more of a coincidence that an intention when reading the issues the organization feels are important.
    As I said, I support your right to choose (see what I did there? ;)) who you support and how.
    Good luck with your new range (no sarcasm in this statement)

Blessings,
    Bill

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Yes, but when does that life begin to be viable on it's own? I think THAT is the more important question. Do you support a life in a vegitative state? Would you pull the plug on someone unable to breath on their own that can't move or speak?

When is QUALITY of of life taken into consideration?

I'm not trying to upset you, I just want to know :)

Good question. I'd submit a 1 month old isn't 'viable' under those circumstances. Heck you can say a 1 year old isn't viable either.

If I had to draw a line, it would be when a heartbeat was present.

In this pathetic society everything has a line, speed limits. 70 is ok. 71 is criminal. Drinking and driving .079 is ok. .081 is criminal.

So let us go with the modern day absurdities and draw a line at a heart beat.

The idea of viable is silly, should we go with viability, we could kill children at least thru the age of toddler and arguably up to puberty.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Too many groups that started out to benefit outdoorsmen have become part of the environmental lobby. Once you fall in with that group you have to support every other liberal group to be a member of the club.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    As a matter of principle, how is not supporting IWL for their pro choice view any different than not supporting BW3 based on their anti-gun stance?

The argument about "when is a life viable" is comparable to saying "what are the proper calibers to ban while on premise". To many people, both instances are an all or nothing proposition anyway.

To the OP I say good for you for standing up and making a decision based on principle. It shouldn't matter if one agrees with the principle or not. It's his right to take a stand against something he deems as wrong.

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    As a matter of principle, how is not supporting IWL for their pro choice view any different than not supporting BW3 based on their anti-gun stance?

The argument about "when is a life viable" is comparable to saying "what are the proper calibers to ban while on premise". To many people, both instances are an all or nothing proposition anyway.

To the OP I say good for you for standing up and making a decision based on principle. It shouldn't matter if one agrees with the principle or not. It's his right to take a stand against something he deems as wrong.

Exactly. I'll choose life over everything else. Without the right to live, what good are the rest of our natural rights? :yesway: to the OP.

CountryBoy1981

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011

Blessings,
    Bill

You also say the same thing about the Brady Campaign or other such organizations. By not being a member you are removing your point of view from that organization. I have to agree by removing his membership and supporting another shooting range where they do not spout the propaganda.

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    What is the mission statement of IWL? Is it a gun related club or is it political?

From the IWLA Website

Mission Statement
    To conserve, maintain, protect, and restore the soil, forest, water, and other natural resources of the United States and other lands; to promote means and opportunities for the education of the public with respect to such resources and their enjoyment and wholesome utilization.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    From the IWLA Website

Mission Statement
    To conserve, maintain, protect, and restore the soil, forest, water, and other natural resources of the United States and other lands; to promote means and opportunities for the education of the public with respect to such resources and their enjoyment and wholesome utilization.

Ok, what does abortion have to do with that?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    You also say the same thing about the Brady Campaign or other such organizations. By not being a member you are removing your point of view from that organization. I have to agree by removing his membership and supporting another shooting range where they do not spout the propaganda.

I don't recall saying it, but I see your point. I see a difference in that the abortion issue is not the (or even *A*) primary focus of IWL, whereas the gun issue is the primary focus of Brady, et al, and I know I won't change any opinions there.

All of that aside, as I said, I also support his right to "vote with his feet" and/or his wallet and join somewhere where he is more comfortable.

Blessings,
    Bill

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    I don't see what the big deal is. Look at the people who typically get abortions-liberals. Do you really want them breeding?

When you think about it, the ready availability of abortions probably contributes in no small measure to the protection of our gun rights. Less liberals= less gun control.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    OP,

I would encourage you to attend a general membership meeting. It is doubtful you were the only recipient of this particular newsletter who was taken aback by the unnecessary inclusion of the article.

You may find the popular support necessary to form a coalition of members who would be successful in ensuring this issue gets left out of an organization where it doesn't belong.

Top Bottom