• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Accidental, huh? It's still negligence, whether it's a cop or not.

Accidental and negligent refer to different components and are not mutually exclusive. I'm not sure why popular gunternet culture has made this a thing. It's like arguing if something is blue or rough textured. It can be both or neither and each is independently determined.

If I intentionally fire a gun with an improper backstop and people behind my target, that's negligent even though it was not accidental.

If I double fire a heavy magnum revolver due to recoil but do so into a 30' berm, the second shot is accidental but not negligent.

If I am playing with my pistol in the back seat because "it's unloaded" and put one through the front seat when it turned out to not be that's both accidental and negligent.

I tend to just bypass the whole thing and refer to them as UDs, Unintended Discharges, and then negligent or non-negligent depending.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Is it really "shooting yourself" when it was the hanging keys from the person sitting next to you that when they stood up, fired the gun? LOL

My apologies. I misphrased that. Officer was shot with a holstered weapon, due to freek accident...

...again.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Maybe he saw that raccoon with his head in a mayo jar from another post and is too embarrassed to say he was just trying to help!

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Could be the same deal as the IMPD officer that shot themself at the funeral for a fallen officer some years back.

Safariland light bearing holsters (and others,) have a pretty wide gap around the trigger at the trigger guard. It's the nature of the beast with a lot of modern weapon lights, especially Surefires.

If ancillary :poop: (like keys,) finds a way into that wide gap, it can easily lever that trigger to go bang. It's what happened to the IMPD officer, IIRC.

Hard to say whose negligence that is, eh?

Post in thread 'Southport Officer Shot' https://www.indianagunowners.com/threads/southport-officer-shot.440349/post-7188508

:dunno:
    From what Balid Trainers I know there was several ADs when folks tried holstering non WML equipped guns (usually striker fired) in WML holsters.

Was that the case with the IMPD AD???

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    From what Balid Trainers I know there was several ADs when folks tried holstering non WML equipped guns (usually striker fired) in WML holsters.

Was that the case with the IMPD AD???

No. It was close seating and one officers keys on the belt found their way into the other officer's holster. They stood up and levered the trigger to be pulled.

No idea what caused the ISP officer's discharge. Seeing everyone blaming the officer though, I wanted to pass along this other possibility.

Some light bearing pistol holsters are vulnerable to AD's.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Most helicopters have at least a 4-pt seat/shoulder harness; some have a 5-pt (strap between legs). Makes getting in/out/strapped/unstrapped a chancy operation; especially if one gets in a hurry. Not surprised to hear it might have been a backup pistol in a chest pocket, but I am a bit surprised that someone would pocket carry ANY pistol without a holster; especially in a helicopter.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Most helicopters have at least a 4-pt seat/shoulder harness; some have a 5-pt (strap between legs). Makes getting in/out/strapped/unstrapped a chancy operation; especially if one gets in a hurry. Not surprised to hear it might have been a backup pistol in a chest pocket, but I am a bit surprised that someone would pocket carry ANY pistol without a holster; especially in a helicopter.

Could have been some sort of pocket holster/sticky holster it slipped out of, though it could not have been. I don't know.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Could have been some sort of pocket holster/sticky holster it slipped out of, though it could not have been. I don't know.
    Typical flight coverall breast pocket would be a pretty tight fit for just a P365 ( I realize this is all just speculation). The couple ISP pilots I knew back in our Guard days carried their Beretta .380 backup in shoulder holsters when flying, IIRC.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Maybe.

Guns do fire accidently. Hey, have I ever told you guys about the 870 at Shootrite?

Just strange, ISP still has P227s so . . . long first pull, but does not mean anything with his body weight.
    (Ian Malcom voice) This isn't about weapons that were eliminated by patrol carbines or the building of a non-fudd culture...Shotguns...uhh....Shotguns...HAD...their chance... :D

I did have a well worn Mossberg 500 that discharged from a strong buttstroke to the ground. Admittedly, it had thousands upon thousands of rounds through it and lots of dry firing, so the sear surfaces were worn to a nub.

But a holstered, modern service pistol is a pretty far stretch to go boom "by themselfs"

Top Bottom