• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN

Reading through this article and the ATF quotes, it appears that they are alleging "manufacturing a firearm without a license" for doing each the following:

1. Changing the upper on an AR pistol from one caliber (556) to a different caliber upper (450 BM)
    2. Putting together a complete upper, complete lower, BCG and charging handle
    3. Putting a Glock into a conversion kit
    WTAF? In all cases the dealer started with a firearm and added or swapped PARTS.

This looks like just the latest of ATF making **** up to me... am I missing something?

HHollow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    ATF is inconsistent in accusations of manufacturing.

1. An 80% receiver is not a gun
    2. An 80% receiver and a jig together are a gun.
    5. The gun is manufactured again when the 80% is milled.
    4. The gun is manufactured again when the lower parts are added, making it a pistol or rifle.
    5. The gun is manufactured again when an upper is added, defining the barrel length.
    6. The gun is again manufactured whenever the barrel or stock is changed.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

Reading through this article and the ATF quotes, it appears that they are alleging "manufacturing a firearm without a license" for doing each the following:

1. Changing the upper on an AR pistol from one caliber (556) to a different caliber upper (450 BM)
    2. Putting together a complete upper, complete lower, BCG and charging handle
    3. Putting a Glock into a conversion kit
    WTAF? In all cases the dealer started with a firearm and added or swapped PARTS.

This looks like just the latest of ATF making **** up to me... am I missing something?
    Looks like legal for a person to do with, but not for a business.

Stupid rules

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Wow! I had no idea... looking at these articles from NSSF doing as little as bluing, cerakoting, drill & taping, or installing a muzzle device constitutes "manufacturing" a firearm if not done specifically on a customer's gun (gunsmithing) by request.

Assembling is in there also... which is what this dealer was doing.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Again, these are rules, not laws. This is why you can't trust any government or it's agencies.
    I've gotta say, the only definition of who needs a firearm manufacturer's license in the US Code is:

(10)The term “manufacturer” means any person engaged in the business of manufacturing firearms or ammunition for purposes of sale or distribution; and the term “licensed manufacturer” means any such person licensed under the provisions of this chapter.

Taking an already manufactured firearm and adding a part, parts, drilling/tapping for a scope or adding a coating to it seems like a very LONG stretch of "manufacturing".

Along that same vein, an auto body repair shop would be "manufacturing" an automobile by painting it a different color.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Yes, "deference" to the agencies on "interpreting" the laws has gone way too far. Not just the ATF, but the courts also.

You would think that a plain reading of the law would allow dealers to start with a serialized receiver and add/fit stocks, triggers, barrels... as under the law licensed dealers:

B) any person engaged in the business of... making or fitting special barrels, stocks, or trigger mechanisms to firearms

But no... in this case, the courts ruled that if you do that, which is plain text within the law for dealers, you also need a manufacturers license. WTAF?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Yes, "deference" to the agencies on "interpreting" the laws has gone way too far. Not just the ATF, but the courts also.

You would think that a plain reading of the law would allow dealers to start with a serialized receiver and add/fit stocks, triggers, barrels... as under the law licensed dealers:

But no... in this case, the courts ruled that if you do that, which is plain text within the law for dealers, you also need a manufacturers license. WTAF?

Yep seems stupid. From my very limited understanding they could sell the component parts separately then charge a fee to assemble/fit them and it's totally kosher, but selling them assembled already not so much.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Yep seems stupid. From my very limited understanding they could sell the component parts separately then charge a fee to assemble/fit them and it's totally kosher, but selling them assembled already not so much.
    Yes, that's what I'm seeing also... and it's very concerning as they also included "just" swapping out a complete upper on an already "complete" AR.

And, the big concern I have is for individuals... if putting together a complete upper with a complete lower is "manufacturing" a new firearm, let alone building from a stripped lower and parts kits, what kind of regulatory BS are they going to seek to put on individuals if we eventually sell that firearm from our collection?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Yes, that's what I'm seeing also... and it's very concerning as they also included "just" swapping out a complete upper on an already "complete" AR.

And, the big concern I have is for individuals... if putting together a complete upper with a complete lower is "manufacturing" a new firearm, let alone building from a stripped lower and parts kits, what kind of regulatory BS are they going to seek to put on individuals if we eventually sell that firearm from our collection?
    Today it is legal for an individual to build a firearm without a license, so it would be a big leap.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Yep. Slippery slope.

If you cant make new laws because you got your pee-pee slapped by the now gun friendly SCOTUS, you start enforcing every law using the finest minutiae you can. Like a cop writing you a ticket for 56 in a 55 because he cant make a real charge stick... at least you were punished for SOMETHING.

Then when the courts dont blink at that level of detail, maybe you start extending it and see if they notice... like trying to buttonhole us as individuals for doing the same thing. It may not work, but they may try. And like the 56, at least they'll make us pay our lawyers, so thats at least SOME punishment for daring to own guns.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Today it is legal for an individual to build a firearm without a license, so it would be a big leap.
    IMO, the big leap is that putting a complete upper and an already serialized complete lower together constitutes "manufacturing" a firearm.

Individuals have always been able to manufacture firearms for their own use.

The small step would be on the "sale or distribution" part of the law. Much like on the 80% lowers, gets more complicated if you decide to sell it.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    IMO, the big leap is that putting a complete upper and an already serialized complete lower together constitutes "manufacturing" a firearm.

Individuals have always been able to manufacture firearms for their own use.

The small step would be on the "sale or distribution" part of the law. Much like on the 80% lowers, gets more complicated if you decide to sell it.
    Is this something new or has it been like that for a while? Looks like according to the link you posted it was last clarified in 2015. It looks like that was to get rid of the places helping people finish lowers.

It's stupid, but I am not seeing the slippery slope.

A business buys a gun from a distributer, they have to sell that gun. If they change it, then it is no longer the gun they bought and they are breaking the rules without a manufacturer's license.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

I believe at least part of the reason is taxes, there is an excise tax based on the value of the firearm when it leaves the manufacturer. That tax is 10% on handguns and 11% on all other firearms and ammo. Component parts sold separately are not taxed. It's why you can buy a complete lower and a complete upper from let's say PSA and it will cost less than the two of them assembled. And yes that tax is supposed to be paid when a firearm or ammo is "further manufactured".

Top Bottom