• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Regarding the DHT brand, they are fairly new but they have quickly earned a reputation as being one of the best. All of the big-box stores (except Menards) carries them and they continuously ranked fairly high in quality and satisfaction.

I know I'm starting to sound like I work for them;

You've got that right! At the time I passed it up because I had just been given a free log splitter; sometimes I wish I would have bought one and sold my 30 year-old freebie on craigslist for $400. For some reason use log-splitters sell for a pretty-penny on CL...

I will have to look into those. I understand when you find a deal pass it along... Wood splitters seem to hold a value. Engines alone anymore are a few hundred. My buddy needed an engine for his and I got him a Harbor freight coupon for just under a hundred for an engine. He has been using it for a few years and it is holding up. (what do you get for $100 anymore??)

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I fully endorse this:

[video=youtube;89O6j1SOUVs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89O6j1SOUVs[/video]

Seems like a pretty reasonable approach to his woodsplitting dilemma. He's taken many of the inherent safety risks with that design and done a pretty good job of mitigating them...

I think his explanation around 11:30 mark nailed it. This is a tool, tools are dangerous, maintain a healthy level of respect for that tool and work carefully and there shouldn't be any problems.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    It looks like a lot of work... This is a little easier... See if I know how to put in a video...

[video=youtube;X0-1Rx1NNDY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0-1Rx1NNDY[/video]

Problem with that is #1 cost, and #2, you have to feed it logs, aka wood that would otherwise be going to the mill for lumber in most cases. No land-owner in their right mind is going to cut their own lumber quality logs for firewood, nor will they allow you to do it. So then you must BUY log loads, of good wood that would otherwise be going to a saw-mill. You're going to pay a LOT

Most people cutting firewood are cutting what is left over after a property has been logged or they are cutting up the trees in somebody's yard. Neither of which will work with that things.

IMHO, the BEST use for that thing is for a commercial firewood seller that is dealing with a LOT of EAB killed ash that cannot go to a saw-mill. Go in, take log-length and quickly make them into firewood. When the "hay-day" of making firewood from dead standing ash trees is over, con somebody a few hours south to buy it and do the same thing. EAB is creeping south around 30-60 miles per year so when the hay-day of cutting ash firewood is done in one area, it's just getting started a few hours south...

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    [video=youtube;qMsObwqD788]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMsObwqD788[/video]

I think that guy is either being very sloppy because of his fear (rightful fear) of the machine or he is intentionally doing that to be dramatic. He keeps putting the wood on in a manner that MAKES it kick out...

IMHO, that is a machine that could also be made fairly safe to use but I haven't seen a safe version yet...

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Most people cutting firewood are cutting what is left over after a property has been logged or they are cutting up the trees in somebody's yard. Neither of which will work with that things.

IMHO, the BEST use for that thing is for a commercial firewood seller that is dealing with a LOT of EAB killed ash that cannot go to a saw-mill. Go in, take log-length and quickly make them into firewood. When the "hay-day" of making firewood from dead standing ash trees is over, con somebody a few hours south to buy it and do the same thing. EAB is creeping south around 30-60 miles per year so when the hay-day of cutting ash firewood is done in one area, it's just getting started a few hours south...

Not around here... People cut wood right out of the woods and fence line for burning. Not sure if I have ever seen anyone go in after logging.

As far as the ash. I think you would get in trouble for selling infected ash for firewood. Pretty sure it is quarantined in this area. They sure won't let you transport it.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I think that guy is either being very sloppy because of his fear (rightful fear) of the machine or he is intentionally doing that to be dramatic. He keeps putting the wood on in a manner that MAKES it kick out...

IMHO, that is a machine that could also be made fairly safe to use but I haven't seen a safe version yet...

I was thinking the same. It he would slide the wood in instead of throwing it. Hmmm I still think the machine needs a better design. Too much speed and too little torque. Some of the pieces that I could split easy it was having a tough time with.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Not around here... People cut wood right out of the woods and fence line for burning. Not sure if I have ever seen anyone go in after logging.

As far as the ash. I think you would get in trouble for selling infected ash for firewood. Pretty sure it is quarantined in this area. They sure won't let you transport it.
    I think the state has all but given up on containing the EAB outbreak... and IIRC, a few years ago they stopped prohibiting the transport of of Ash from infected areas and instead stated that NO wood with bark remaining can be transported or something like that. EAB killed Ash is pretty easy to comply with this, the bark literally falls off in sheets; and at that point the borer is LONG gone from the area anyways.

I was thinking the same. It he would slide the wood in instead of throwing it. Hmmm I still think the machine needs a better design. Too much speed and too little torque. Some of the pieces that I could split easy it was having a tough time with.
    I agree, needs a big, heavy flywheel to get the momentum but needs to spin MUCH slower.

Top Bottom