• Will Late-Night TV Recover Their Audience After The Strike

• Total voters

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    For me it died when Johnny Carson retired.
    And I couldn't get behind SNL.
    I regularly watch Johnny Carson reruns. He was a great host and even during writer strikes was able to put on an entertaining show. Even three decade old political jokes almost sound like current events, just change the names (sometimes). Don't even stop for the current late night hosts when channel surfing.

Last edited:

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I liked Carson then I got used to Leno. Now it’s nothing but political indoctrination from the left that I refuse to watch.
    I have to agree 101% on this. Trump is the devil and Obiden is a God is all you see no matter what show it is! Pick a channel / any channel. Psyops central right there just like the news anymore. State facts and keep your political diatribe to the trash where it belongs.
    It's the main reason we have basic cable plus an antenna. I ain't afraid to turn it off but my wife...sheesh!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have to agree 101% on this. Trump is the devil and Obiden is a God is all you see no matter what show it is! Pick a channel / any channel. Psyops central right there just like the news anymore. State facts and keep your political diatribe to the trash where it belongs.
    It's the main reason we have basic cable plus an antenna. I ain't afraid to turn it off but my wife...sheesh!
    I can't believe they're "hands off" with Biden. Remember what they did with Gerald Ford and his stumbling and bumbling? They'd have comedy gold with Biden. Well, if it weren't so sad that is.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Going to be interesting if they ever get back to where they were when the strike began…
    From my view of the strike it seems there are plenty of "big name" stars prancing around the picket lines for photo ops.
    They all have the fat checks from movies and tv to prop them up meanwhile the lowly hourly workers are going broke.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    From my view of the strike it seems there are plenty of "big name" stars prancing around the picket lines for photo ops.
    They all have the fat checks from movies and tv to prop them up meanwhile the lowly hourly workers are going broke.
    Meh, they’re all probably just as libtarded as the big names. They could learn to write code or something.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The strike is exacerbating an ongoing problem, loss of interest from young people. Once folks change their routine most will not change back. Obviously the format is in decline but will any significant audience come back, particularly if the strike lingers on as most expect?

Don't know and don't care.
    I rarely watch TV anymore as there isn't much good to watch.
    I find myself streaming things online mostly YouTube, and Amazon Prime.
    Mostly the older movies, and TV shows.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    For those that do not know what the crux of the strike is, there are two strikes, actors, and writers, that AI issues are front and center.

Actors, Joe was an extra in a movie this year and signed a release for them to use his likeness. The studios want to use his likeness in other movies or TV as a part created by AI with one days pay, which is minimal.

Writers, the studios have and are feeding AI dialogue or jokes created by writers that AI is then using to create more dialogue or jokes without any compensation for that creativity.

This is a future shaping battle for how the industry will move forward that may not just end up being about actors and writers. This outcome could affect anyone that creates content from poets to engineers and software developers.

There are also big legal questions to be answered as well. If AI was fed all Stephen King writings and it created a blockbuster horror movie by using elements of what King had written, is that fair use?

The MSN link below explains it more…

Last edited:
    Top Bottom