Is Senator Braun going to the left on Gun Control?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dsears2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2021
    Indpls
    I received this in a Email.

You see, your senator, Mike Braun, has been given the go-ahead from Minority Leader Mitch McConnell to "work with" Democrats to find gun control legislation Republicans can support!

Gun control we can support?? Haha

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    It appears they are working on red flag laws.

https://www.axios.com/2022/05/25/senate-bipartisanred-flag-laws-texas-shooting

from the article
    Sen. Mike Braun (R-Ind.) said he spoke with Sen. Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) about a potential red flag bill, adding that while he's skeptical a federal law can get 10 GOP votes, "I'm going to look at anything that has practical application and the ability to pass that's going to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill."

dsears2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2021
    Indpls
    Looks like it was Senator Young not Senator Braun that jumped to the dark side. Here is the reply letter.

Dear Mr. Sears,

Thank you for contacting me regarding gun violence, mental health, and the Second Amendment. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

As your Senator, I respect that Hoosiers have strong and diverse feelings on how to prevent violent crime while upholding the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding Americans. I know we all share a common desire to prevent acts of gun violence, and I have deep empathy and sympathy for those affected by tragic shootings across our country. That’s why I have previously supported measures to increase school safety, improve mental health services, provide commonsense fixes to criminal background checks, and increase penalties for illegal possession of firearms.

To address these significant challenges, on June 24, 2022, I voted to pass S. 2938, the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act, a bill supported by the Fraternal Order of Police and other law enforcement groups. The bill subsequently passed the House and was signed into law on June 25, 2022.

As I reviewed this proposal, I consulted with law enforcement officials, gun owners, Second Amendment experts, educators, and mental health professionals. After careful consideration, I supported this targeted legislation because it takes prudent steps to address our mental health crisis and combat violent crime without compromising the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding Hoosiers. Unless you have been convicted of a violent crime or adjudicated as mentally ill, your Second Amendment rights will not be affected in any way. It contains no new restrictions, bans, required waiting periods, or mandates for law-abiding citizens of any age.

The centerpiece of this legislation is a major step to address our country’s mental health crisis, including the largest investment in community-based mental health care in our nation’s history. In addition to providing robust funding for federal mental health treatment and suicide prevention programs, this bill will also help states expand access to care by integrating telehealth services into their Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) programs. It will not be an overnight fix, but the investments made in mental health care by this bill will be transformational. Critically, this legislation will better ensure all children and teachers have the safe and welcoming environment they deserve by providing extensive resources for enhanced school safety, school hardening, and school-based mental health services, including through the Students, Teachers, and Officers Preventing (STOP) School Violence program. This program was created by a bill I helped introduce in 2018 that was signed into law by then-President Trump.

The legislation takes steps to keep firearms out of the hands of those adjudicated as mentally ill or with recent histories of criminal violence. It requires that certain juvenile records be included in a background check for prospective purchasers of firearms between the ages of 18 and 21 years old, while requiring that the Federal Bureau of Investigation, which operates the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), finalize this screening as quickly as possible. Additionally, the bill will address illicit gun sales by requiring highly active, unlicensed firearm dealers to register for a Federal Firearms License, and it creates a criminal penalty for those who knowingly purchase a firearm on behalf of someone legally prohibited from possessing one, also known as a straw purchase. For straw purchases supporting the activities of gangs, criminal cartels, and terrorists, the bill mandates longer sentences. This is an important and necessary step to reduce gun violence in America’s cities and on both sides of the U.S. border with Mexico.

Additionally, S. 2938 makes a significant investment in crisis intervention programs, specifically $750 million over five years. Funds could be used by states to implement existing or new red flag laws, like Indiana’s Jake Laird Law, named after an Indianapolis police officer killed in the line of duty by a mentally ill person in 2004. Red flag laws provide law enforcement officers the authority to seize the firearms of a person who presents an imminent danger to themselves or others if a court agrees that sufficient evidence exists. These funds also will be available for states that choose to utilize other forms of crisis intervention, such as veterans’ courts, drug courts, mental health courts, or assistant outpatient treatment courts. For states that pursue a red flag law, this bill requires that they follow stringent due process protections to safeguard the constitutional rights of the accused. The bill does not mandate that states implement red flag laws, and it does not create a national red flag law.

This legislation also addresses situations in which long-standing dating or intimate partners commit domestic violence against their partner and are charged with a misdemeanor. This bill would ensure that those convicted are unable to purchase or possess a firearm for at least five years, similar to current law treatment for spouses, parents or guardians, and individuals who live together. After five years, if the individual has not committed another violent crime, the individual’s rights are automatically restored. This legislation creates clear guidelines, which are actually narrower than what is currently state law in Indiana, for how judges classify these relationships.

We do not have to choose between protecting Second Amendment rights and creating safer schools and communities by keeping guns away from those who might be a danger to themselves or others. We can and should do both. This legislation, supported by numerous law enforcement groups, will save lives without affecting the rights of law-abiding Americans.

In addition to enacting S. 2938, we should continue to look for more ways to address school safety, improve mental health, and reduce violent crimes. I’ve sponsored or cosponsored bills to allow unused COVID relief funds to be used to harden schools, increase penalties for felons who illegally possess or use firearms, and address the shortage of mental health providers in schools.

Again, thank you for contacting me. It is an honor to represent you in the United States Senate.

Sincerely,

Signature_2018_(3).PNG

Todd Young
    United States Senator

Top Bottom